Options

Thinking of jumping in...

Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
edited October 28, 2005 in SmugMug Support
and getting a pro account. YIKES!

I am scared to death because I am not a web page guru and am afraid I won't be able to figure out how to do all the stuff required to make my site a nice working one for customers use. I will need help for sure.

One of my concerns is that it seems people can right click and still save photos no matter what type of account one has...Is this correct??

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    right-click protection
    Trish323 wrote:
    and getting a pro account. YIKES!

I am scared to death because I am not a web page guru and am afraid I won't be able to figure out how to do all the stuff required to make my site a nice working one for customers use. I will need help for sure.

One of my concerns is that it seems people can right click and still save photos no matter what type of account one has...Is this correct??

hi trish,

first off - don't be scared - this forum is great and you'll get loads of help. if an html and css moron like me can do it, anyone can. there's a ton of info in the customization forum, including a bunch of stickys that mike lane made up, i suggest starting with customizing for dummies he's got three chapters done so far!

on the right-click protect, it's a pro-only feature. you select it on/off in customize gallery. once selected, people can't simply right click and save the photo to desktop. if they try dragging to the desktop, they get a clear gif file called "spacer.gif" but not the photo. please be aware, that right-click protect is simply a mild deterrent - that your image, when i go to your website, is already in my computer - it has to be in order for me to see it - it's in the browser's cache folder. now, majority of people have no clue about browser's cache, so your safe. but if someone wants your image, they have it, right click enabled or not. that's why many folks only allow the mediums not larges to be viewed. choices, choices, eh? oh and if this isn't bad enough, folks can use screen-grabber software if they wanted, also.

you can get more info here in the help section

hope this helps,
  • Options
    Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Trish,

In addition to the right-click protect option, you can also add a watermark to all of your images. That way if someone really wants them, they will at least have the word "proof" written across them.

Good luck in your decision.

Fred Dickinson Photography
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Andy,

thanks!!! I will muddle through it...trial and error...already don't like my header..
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Techman1 wrote:
    Trish,

In addition to the right-click protect option, you can also add a watermark to all of your images. That way if someone really wants them, they will at least have the word "proof" written across them.

Good luck in your decision.

Fred Dickinson Photography
    Thanks!! I decided for now on the power user..