Wrong camera ...

DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited January 11, 2012 in Holy Macro
So I find myself in the Panamanian jungle looking for birds, monkeys etc. up in the trees. I have a 7D with 70-200mm 2.8L plus 1.4x TC and a 580 flash. This is my best long reach. I also have a 5D2 and the 100mm 2.8L IS Macro with ringflash but not in my hands.

This is when a small dragonfly annoys me and I decide to take the shot anyway. To my surprise I can't focus because I'm too close :huh I was never too close for this lens before, always wishing for a 500mm :D

So I adjust for closest focus and slowly move away to find focus. It feels so strange because I'm about 1.5 - 2 meters away now, but camera gives me the green light and beep so I take the shot:

7D-5596-XL.jpg
The direct flash is clearly too harsh and leaves it's image on the head but I am still surprised at the result. Did anybody ever try extension tubes on a long lens?
ciao!
Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
my Smugmug site: here

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited January 10, 2012
    appears u stilll missed focus :D

i have tried ex tubes on a 70 -300 but never liked the results!

nice background light but always think need to shoot natural light for dragons , flash - subject distance too long to get nice diffused light
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    appears u stilll missed focus :D
    Sure did... focus of the feet :) But I was so far away that it was impossible to see anymore. This image is the mother of all crops thumb.gif
    i have tried ex tubes on a 70 -300 but never liked the results!

nice background light but always think need to shoot natural light for dragons , flash - subject distance too long to get nice diffused light

I'll put them on the 70-200mm to try out. Easy enough to carry a tube...

Natural light in the jungle is very tough... it's very dark near the ground. Here's one I did in the bright sun along a road, also with this camera but no flash obviously:
    7D-5330-XL.jpg
    Focus okay but the light not. Better take the macro gear with me I guess :D

Here is a natural light with the 5D2 + 100L macro I did in a little open area in the jungle:
    5D-5259-XL.jpg
    Too dark I think, so will use ringflash next time we meet.

But still loving this road of discovery of macro photography clap.gif
    ciao!
    Nick.

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    DeVerm wrote: »
    I was never too close for this lens before, always wishing for a 500mm :D

I bit the bullet just over 2 yrs ago (on a used one) and only regret is not getting one before :)

Did anybody ever try extension tubes on a long lens?

Yes, often with 100-300 f5.6L (all early macro stuff)
    400 5.6 and with currently with the 500/4

no other option than to use tubes when mfd is about 4.5m and you want to reduce same.

A set is part of my std. kit :)

(several pcs on my site taken with 500 + tube(s) ... first being the rat -4th pic)

pp
    edited January 10, 2012
    Yes, often with 100-300 f5.6L (all early macro stuff)
    400 5.6 and with currently with the 500/4

no other option than to use tubes when mfd is about 4.5m and you want to reduce same.

A set is part of my std. kit :)

(several pcs on my site taken with 500 + tube(s) ... first being the rat -4th pic)

pp

wow with a 500mm from 4.5m mfd where do you end up with the tubes, and how much tubes do you use?

My 70-200mm mfd is 1.4m but the teleconverter I normally use for these jungle trails will change that of course.
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    I sometimes use ext tubes on my 200mm Lens for jittery butterflies or dragonflies- works well
    Brian v.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    wow with a 500mm from 4.5m mfd where do you end up with the tubes, and how much tubes do you use?

With a full set of tubes mfd is about 2.5 / 2.6m(iirc) ...but I rarely use a full set as AF gets a bit jittery and the physical arrangement - using plastic(kenko) tubes - leaves something to be desired when using said lens.
    Easy to strip threads in the tubes if I forget and move the rig by picking it up by the cam, rather than lens tripod foot - and there's too much 'play/slop'for my liking.

Typically use a single tube, size dependant of range of action as am losing infinity focus.

Pro rata, I'd be able to fill the frame more (and have more versatility) with a 100-400 (mfd 1.8m) - but that'd mean a lens change - and having it with me in the first place (+ losing 100mm of reach and a stop @top end of zoom when not using tubes)

Sometimes you just have to accept the situation and watch /enjoy without taking pics - like watching moorhen chicks pecking the lens hood on the 500 ...and not really being able to do anything about it :)

My 70-200mm mfd is 1.4m but the teleconverter I normally use for these jungle trails will change that of course.

Don't think so - adding a tc won't change the mfd - only the size of the image.

pp
    edited January 11, 2012
    Okay thank you everybody! Seems I have more testing to do. My first test will be the TC + tube + 70-200L to see where that puts the mfd, immediately followed by a repeat test without the TC. If I can get closer by just bringing a tube, I will have less of those "just watch it without taking the pic" moments :D
    ciao!
    Nick.