Options

Computer (Mac) help please!

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited November 4, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Some how a photo is now the icon for all my PDF files, I have no clue how that came about or how to change the icon back to the normal PDF one. Its not even a good shot..geez:dunno

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Thusie wrote:
    Some how a photo is now the icon for all my PDF files, I have no clue how that came about or how to change the icon back to the normal PDF one. Its not even a good shot..geezne_nau.gif

heheh - that's a good one - i'll do some digging nonda :D
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    heheh - that's a good one - i'll do some digging nonda :D
    Thanks so much Andy it is VERY annoying:bluduh
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Which pdf symbol is it? The one from preview or the Adobe red one?

Try this, highlight the file, go to the finder and "get info" on it, under File.

What application is set as the default to open it?

Can you still open the file in Photoshop?

What is the files extension?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting to see, but maybe this'll help.

Go to the Finder.

Got to View>Show View Options

If the window that comes up is titled anything other than "Desktop", click on your Desktop.

Then in the View Options window, select "Show Icon Preview".

While you're there, you may also like to arrange desktop by kind and to show item info.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting to see, but maybe this'll help.

Will try and explaine this better, when I download a PDF (text file)from the net it opens in preview. They also park in the downloads folder and the icon is the normal one with the PDF ext. Well now they still have the PDF ext but instead of the boring PDF icon they all have a 'picture' for the icon. This only affected PDF files and any new PDfs get the same #%$%$ picture.Blah!
  • Options
    nathannathan Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Can you post a screenshot? It would be useful for debugging purposes to see what the "photo" looks like. It might even help if you increased your icon size to make it more visible in the screenshot.
    Nathan

Nikon D200
    and a vast assortment of lenses
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    nathan wrote:
    Can you post a screenshot? It would be useful for debugging purposes to see what the "photo" looks like. It might even help if you increased your icon size to make it more visible in the screenshot.
    Hum.. Well I can show you the photo, a rather bad picture of my back yard, BUT its fixed.clap.gif Don't ask me how. I did follow Davidto's suggestions but didn't see a change after that. Did start trashing a bunch that I didn't need, that photo was driving me nuts looking at it. Clicked on preview tools, clicked on the different labels, boom fixed. Now back to the boring, but nice, Preview icon. What is irritating now is I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing when it changed. However I'm ditching that picture RIGHT NOW!

Thanks so much for your time lending a hand with this.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    Let me expand on Patch's post:
    File (any one that's opening in an app you DON"T want as the default)
    File/File Info (or command-i)
    Turn down the little triangle by "Open With"
    Select the application you want to change to the default
    Greyed out button "Change All" right below will become usable.
    Click on it.

I have all JPGs default to Photoshop, for instance. Out of the box a Mac will default to Preview.