Options

D90 and HDR

doobdoob Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited January 19, 2012 in Cameras
not sure where to post this, if incorrect please move it to the correct thread.

about HDR, how are you guys able to shoot more than 3 exposures without moving the camera too much?

i've tried shooting 7, auto braketing at +/- 2EV and then shifting the exposure compensation +/-1EV to get -3 all the way to +3 with 1EV increments, with some wasted pictures (same exposure). it ends up being blur because of the slight movements.

what am i doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    (For those who are wondering, the D90 is limited to 3 stops of bracketing, so to go further you have to touch the camera and manually change the exposure...)

Doob, the bottom line is that you probably just don't have a rock-steady enough tripod + head combo, on solid enough footing. Your only other option is to find some sort of remote control ap that allows you to wirelessly change the exposure... I think there are some out there, but I'm not sure which.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    doobdoob Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    THATS PROBABLY WHY! damn you cheap tripods..

i cant seem to find any android control app. anyone?
  • Options
    LadukebobLadukebob Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    It's all about the tripod like mentioned above. I've had good success manually bracketing up to 7 shots on the d90 doing landscapes. Another thing I do is switch the exposer delay setting to on and use the timer set to about 5 seconds. This will help with any possible vibration after you touch the shutter button.
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Ladukebob wrote: »
    It's all about the tripod like mentioned above. I've had good success manually bracketing up to 7 shots on the d90 doing landscapes. Another thing I do is switch the exposer delay setting to on and use the timer set to about 5 seconds. This will help with any possible vibration after you touch the shutter button.

That is elegant!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    That is elegant!

Neil

Elegant? headscratch.gif
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Ladukebob wrote: »
    Elegant? headscratch.gif

= a parsimonious, effective and satisfying technique!mwink.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    = a parsimonious, effective and satisfying technique!mwink.gif

Neil

rolleyes1.gif
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • Options
    LornceLornce Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    A bit off topic, but does a D300S have HDR capability?

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Lornce wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but does a D300S have HDR capability?

ne_nau.gif

In-camera HDR? No, all it has is Active D-Lighting which does not affect RAW images but does give you some GREAT JPG's. Unless you view your RAW files in Nikon's View NX, that is.

However, the D300 / D300s does have up to 9 stops of bracketing, which is where the REAL HDR action is.

No camera currently on the market has in-camera HDR, at least not from Canon or Nikon; just the soon-to-come D4 and 1DX but they still just create a JPG file out of RAW files, from what I gather. Either way you're better off shooting RAW frames and then hitting up something like Photomatix...

=Matt=
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    No camera currently on the market has in-camera HDR...

Just get an iPhone. rolleyes1.gif
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    However, the D300 / D300s does have up to 9 stops of bracketing, which is where the REAL HDR action is.
    =Matt=

Pardon my ignornace, but does that mean, correctly set, the camera will record 4 frames either side of your chosen exposure?

If so, can it do this shooting RAW files?

Can the exposure increments be adjusted/preset?

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    Pardon my ignornace, but does that mean, correctly set, the camera will record 4 frames either side of your chosen exposure?

Yes. It will bracket 2 to 9 exposures. If you go with 9, it will be your chosen (or automatically metered) exposure then 4 on either side. You can set the order in which it shoots, too. It defaults to 0, -1, -2, -3, -4, +1, +2, +3, +4, but you can set it to shoot in different orders, too, i.e. under to overexposed.
    If so, can it do this shooting RAW files?
    Absolutely.
    Can the exposure increments be adjusted/preset?

headscratch.gif
    Yes again. You can set it in increments of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1EV.
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    Thanks, cab.in.boston. That's good to know as I get closer to buying a more modern camera.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    Thanks, cab.in.boston. That's good to know as I get closer to buying a more modern camera.

Yep! I would whine about the increments being "only" up to 1 stop, since Canon goes up to 2 stop increments, but then again I'm much happier having the D300 / D700's 9-stop range compared to the 5D mk2's 5-stop range. (Or is ot 4 stops and 8 stops? I'm confused how to count +/-2 and +/-4, Laughing.gif...)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Matt and Cab,

Much thanks, gentlemen. Meeting a wedding photog tomorrow evening to examine a D300S with 30k cycles.

It's all your fault.

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Yep! I would whine about the increments being "only" up to 1 stop, since Canon goes up to 2 stop increments, but then again I'm much happier having the D300 / D700's 9-stop range compared to the 5D mk2's 5-stop range. (Or is ot 4 stops and 8 stops? I'm confused how to count +/-2 and +/-4, Laughing.gif...)

=Matt=

I know a couple of Canon shooters (and a Nikonian or two) who overcome these liabilities using a Promote Control device which can set the brackets without having to touch the camera, even when solidly mounted on a good tripod. I don't shoot brackets much at all, but when I do I like how you can set up the bracketing, put it on Continuous shutter, and just hold down the button on the cable remote and it fires off all 9 and then stops. I think you can also program a burst so it does it all with one click, but since I don't do it much, I don't have a grasp on all the intricacies.

Good luck with that D300s, Lornce. I love my D300, it's really a nice body.
    My site 365 Project