Service Notice for EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited January 17, 2006 in Cameras
We have recently discovered a problem with early production samples of the EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens in which flare occurs at an unacceptable level under certain conditions. The flare is most obvious in the wide zoom and wide aperture settings.

All the info can be found here from Canon.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    All the info can be found here from Canon.

heh we posted at the same time ... i deleted mine :D
    i've already sent my email to canon. but ne_nau.gif it's an interesting "problem" the lens has, eh? lol3.gif

38243681-L.jpg
  • tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    should i send mine in?
    I have one of the lenses in the recall (#0801). however i have yet to notice any problems. i am concerned that if i send it to canon that it might come back in some way less sharp/accurate after they muck around inside. i'm leaning towards sending it in, though.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Recall on Canon 24-105 mm f/4L
    Early production models appear to have unnacceptable flare at wide angles. Canon will repair free of charge. Here's the link:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&fcategoryid=216&modelid=11924
  • bvkampbvkamp Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    Early production models appear to have unnacceptable flare at wide angles. Canon will repair free of charge. Here's the link:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&fcategoryid=216&modelid=11924
    Thanks for posting this. I have #0801. umph.gif
    edited October 31, 2005
    erich6 wrote:

Erich, I merged your post with an existing thread on the same subject.
    edited November 3, 2005
    Anyone with any idea what they're going to do to the lens? Did they forget to put a part in there, or did they re-design something? I don't mind sending my lens in, I just don't want it to come back full of dust. I have trouble believing their repair center will be as dust-controlled as the factory (which isn't perfect either).
  • docbelldocbell Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    bvkamp wrote:
    Why/how could Tom E and bvkamp have lenses with the same serial numbers??? (hopefully it might just be a misread or typo??)
  • OlgaJOlgaJ Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    docbell wrote:
    Why/how could Tom E and bvkamp have lenses with the same serial numbers??? (hopefully it might just be a misread or typo??)
    That's not a serial number. It's the year and month of manufacturing. All 24-105 lenses manufactured prior to October 05 are affected by this problem.

There is an additional number on the lenses which is a serial number.

Olga
    edited November 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Erich, I merged your post with an existing thread on the same subject.
    No problem. I must have missed the other post.
    edited November 5, 2005
    I doubt that servicing the lens would result in lower optical quality. The notice states that the flare occurs at wide angle settings. This is usually due to an incorrect dimension or placement of an internal baffle. I suspect the repair will involve replacing a baffle which should have no other effect except to improve the performance of the lens (the baffles don't affect the resolution or sharpness of the lenses). What could happen is that they may accidentally disturb the alignment of the internal lenses when replacing the baffle but I'm sure Canon will run the lens through process checks to verify the lens alignments.

Erich
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Really?
    bvkamp wrote:
    This is the precisely the same lens number used as an example of the affect lenses in the notice on Canon's North American website here, and shown in the photo at that URL.

It intrigues me how they got the photo if you've still got the lens!
    edited November 5, 2005
    This is the precisely the same lens number used as an example of the affect lenses in the notice on Canon's North American website here, and shown in the photo at that URL.

It intrigues me how they got the photo if you've still got the lens!
    It's not a serial #, it is a lot #, so many of the lenses share the same #. The unique serial # is posted separately on the lens.
    edited November 6, 2005
    Date codes
    bvkamp wrote:
    It's not a serial #, it is a lot #, so many of the lenses share the same #. The unique serial # is posted separately on the lens.
    It's a date code of when a lens is manufactured. Here are more details:

http://the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Lens-Aging.aspx

Olga
  • RedlinedRedlined Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 8, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    No problem. I must have missed the other post.
    Greetings all. Anyone have an idea when that lens will start shipping again? Elsewhere I read it was released 11/1???
    TIA, Mike
    edited November 8, 2005
    Redlined wrote:
    Greetings all. Anyone have an idea when that lens will start shipping again? Elsewhere I read it was released 11/1???
    TIA, Mike
    I bought one immediately after it showed up at B&H October 6th, and it was manufactured in August. Some folks managed a few in September from one shop.

So using that as a guide, and knowing that the manufacturing month of the unbugged version would be October, I would think we should start seeing them hitting the market by the end of November or beginning of December.

Canon has said that they won't be starting repairs till some time after November 14th.

Olga
  • photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    24-105 "L" has ARRIVED!
    Redlined wrote:
    TIA, Mike
    Mine just arrived (from Amazon) THIS MORNING. Can't wait to play with it :D.

= Dave
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

edited January 17, 2006
    Finally sent mine off to Canon today. Dunno why I'm doing it but what the hey, at least it'll be up to snuff thumb.gif
    edited January 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Finally sent mine off to Canon today. Dunno why I'm doing it but what the hey, at least it'll be up to snuff thumb.gif

Please let us know how the repair goes. Do you have some "Before" shots that you are planning on retaking when the lens comes back to compare?