Options

Pricelist pricing calculation is uhmm.. screwed up?

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited January 30, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So, if we go in and set desired profit, there seem to be some weird voodoo calculations going on and I'd love to know where my money is going?

So, digital downloads are $.49, we know this..

If I go in and add a profit (with "Don't Round" selected)

and set my profit to $.39 my customers price is $.95

Which I'm guessing is calculated as: .49 + .39 + .06 (15%) which really (even rounding up the 15%) should be $.94 but that's not the bad part..

Now, set the profit to $.40... My customers price jumps to $1.95, yet, my profit is $.40? Where did this extra $1 in cost come from? It should be:

$.49 + .40 + .06 (15% of .40) = $.94

Seems like "DON'T ROUND" doesn't work because it keeps rounding all of my prices up to .95

From $.41 to $1.24 my customers price jumps to 1.95

When I go up and select different rounding methods for digital downloads it works for all the numbers correctly (showing me that what I entered was MINIMUM PROFIT which I understand) however....

When I select "DON'T ROUND" the system does not reset the values based on no rounding....

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Jim,

Taking up your example:
    0.95 retail price - 0.49 cost = 0.46 total profit
    of the 0.46 you get to keep 85% and that's 0.46 * 0.85 = 0.39 (rounded)

Hope this makes sense in regards to the profit calculation.

Note there are two places where you can set up rounding - for the whole pricelist and for an individual category. Make sure neither is enabled. Here's what I see:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/283274/sc4/20120111122146-00879x4612221.jpg

and here's what I see when entering .40:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/283274/sc4/20120111122533-00880x3312225.jpg

I see the same when I select "don't round" for the category instead of nothing:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/283274/sc4/20120111122717-00881x1712227.jpg

And switching back and forth between the different rounding options, the price always updates accordingly.

If you still have an issue with that, email us at the HelpDesk with details on what browser version you use:
    http://help.smugmug.com/
    Include a link back to this thread as well.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    You didn't see my last part? When I set my profit to say, $.50 and set NO ROUNDING, it's still showing $1.95 as the price. It shouldn't be. If I set it to .05 it's really close, but then if I switch back to NO rounding it jumps up to $1.95 again which is wrong...
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    So, if we go in and set desired profit, there seem to be some weird voodoo calculations going on and I'd love to know where my money is going?

So, digital downloads are $.49, we know this..

If I go in and add a profit (with "Don't Round" selected)

and set my profit to $.39 my customers price is $.95

Which I'm guessing is calculated as: .49 + .39 + .06 (15%) which really (even rounding up the 15%) should be $.94 but that's not the bad part..

Now, set the profit to $.40... My customers price jumps to $1.95, yet, my profit is $.40? Where did this extra $1 in cost come from? It should be:

$.49 + .40 + .06 (15% of .40) = $.94

Seems like "DON'T ROUND" doesn't work because it keeps rounding all of my prices up to .95

From $.41 to $1.24 my customers price jumps to 1.95

When I go up and select different rounding methods for digital downloads it works for all the numbers correctly (showing me that what I entered was MINIMUM PROFIT which I understand) however....

When I select "DON'T ROUND" the system does not reset the values based on no rounding....

This is exactly why this profit percentage JUNK just doesn't cut it.....Prices List should be renamed to PROFIT PERCENTAGE LISTS .... then TRASHED ... ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    This is exactly why this profit percentage JUNK just doesn't cut it.....Prices List should be renamed to PROFIT PERCENTAGE LISTS .... then TRASHED ... ... ...

I agree... again... thumb.gif
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 11, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »

what exactly, is exactly why?

Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    I agree with this screwy price list BS..

Back to the OT, here is a screen shot..Go ahead, tell me this works "AS INTENDED".. Really.. I'm having that kind of day.

i-krf74fQ-XL.jpg

i-JBz6W7x-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    I agree with this screwy price list BS..

Back to the OT, here is a screen shot..Go ahead, tell me this works "AS INTENDED".. Really.. I'm having that kind of day.

I have identified the bug and will have a fix out soon.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    bwg wrote: »
    what exactly, is exactly why?

having to frreakin MUCK with percentage profit points to get our selling price ...
    We do need the ability to have PRICE LISTS ... ... NOT PROFIT PERCENTAGE LISTS...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012

Hopefully the fix is being able to directly set the FINAL SALE PRICE.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    fix is live.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    morepics2morepics2 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    What is the fix how can I just set final price this new profit percentage is a joke wow what a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    morepics2 wrote: »
    What is the fix how can I just set final price this new profit percentage is a joke wow what a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    See my reply to your other post:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1732869#post1732869
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero