Options

Logo design input

ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited January 30, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
After viewing a couple threads, and not being a photographer for money, I decided to give logonerds.com a try to come up with something for my site. I am curious as to what people here think. My site is www.zlbphotography.com (if it doesn't appear in my signature). It will be replacing the current banner there.

Number 3 is my favorite so far, but I love the alignment/drop on number 6, so I was thinking of having the graphic on 3 dropped a little bit, and maybe change the color to some shade of green as I think I enjoy that more than the gold/yellow.

Would appreciate any input, positive or negative as well. Feel free to include site comments if you wish as well.

zlbphotography2513401.jpg

Comments

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    They are all nicely done, but I prefer #1. To me, it is the easiest to read. Actually, I like #2 the best because the yellow circle is a nice backdrop for your initials and is clean. But the font in #2 is too hard to read; I couldn't tell it said ZLB at first glance. I personally don't care for #3 or #6. Like you, I like the alignment in #6, but I think the script font with initials is hard to read also. Finally, I like the gold color better than the green but they both stand out. This is my 2cents.

Good luck with your site!
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Very nice. I like # 1 the best as it very easy to read.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I would agree about #1 - clean. I have a bit of a problem with the word "snap" though - it doesn't conjure up a quality photograph. Anyone can take a "snap", but not everyone can create an "image". I would replace 'snap' with 'image' or 'photograph' (but that adds more to the length) ... but only you will know what message you are trying to convey.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    snaps do have a connotation, but maybe it depends on context. I remember a long time a go, 70's, a quarterly large format camera publication (published by Linhof ???, not sure and can't remember the name) that would occasionally credit an image to a Hassleblad "snapshot" camera.

Maybe

"Capturing memories with every click"

AceCo55 wrote: »
    I would agree about #1 - clean. I have a bit of a problem with the word "snap" though - it doesn't conjure up a quality photograph. Anyone can take a "snap", but not everyone can create an "image". I would replace 'snap' with 'image' or 'photograph' (but that adds more to the length) ... but only you will know what message you are trying to convey.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    These are a couple revisions based on feedback I provided. I'm really liking number 2 from the new set but did want to compare it to a couple other changes. I want to see a Bigger/capital Z, have the tagline and Photograph centered to the circle (I asked for top aligned like the original concept 6, but the Z doesn't drop down as much), and then have the tagline lowered a little bit as it's to scrunched up.

I liked number 1 of the original concepts, but it was to plain for me, wanted a little more elegant font (if that's the way to describe it), and I liked the green color of original concept 6, even though that would be easy to change on any of 'em.

I also asked to have the tagline removed to see how it looks, and then I can add it elsewhere or another time, or even change it. I initially had the same thoughts about the word snap, and while some of my shots fall into that category :P I do want it to come across as more experienced and professional, but I can't yet find a word or rephrase that flows as nicely without adding additional length. So I may remove the tagline for a bit and work on that a bit.

Any new thoughts? Even though I asked for some revisions on 2 only this time, still curious as to some feedback. Thanks!

zlbphotographyrevision1.jpg
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Of your new options, #1 and #4 stand out for me. I don't like the script in #2, and I'm not sure of the font in the circle on #3. I think I'm leaning toward #1, only because of the camera graphic - it helps reinforce the photography theme.
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    "Capturing memories with every click"
    He said it right...
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I agree about "snap". I would definitely lose that. It sounds like "Capturing Memories with every time I randomly click the shutter".

I don't like the Z in #1 and the camera looks very amateurish to me. I don't like the serif/sans-serif thing in #3. I'd go with #2, but shift the name and words down so it is aligned with the middle of the circle.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    orljustin wrote: »
    It sounds like "Capturing Memories with every time I randomly click the shutter".

Which is partially true while I'm still learning :P

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hoping to receive the revisions tonight, but being as it's Friday, may not happen.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I think you need to be careful not to get too clever. You don't want
    people looking at your card and asking "What's the name of your company?"

"ZLB" doesn't trip off the tongue, and the combination of letters is not
    expected. Therefore, the letters should be clear and distinctive.

In Concept #2, the viewer wouldn't be sure that is an "L". In
    Concept #3 and #4, the "Z" and the "B" become more of a artistic
    squiggle than letters...especially in #4.

Remember, you know what it reads. You won't be able to
    see that versions are hard to read because you know what
    to expect. Potential customers don't. Don't make it difficult
    for them.

The original #1 black & white was the cleanest and easiest
    to read. The "ZLB Photography" made it clear who you are.

Add me to the group that favors changing "snap" to "image".
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    ZBlack wrote: »
    After viewing a couple threads, and not being a photographer for money, I decided to give logonerds.com a try to come up with something for my site. I am curious as to what people here think. My site is www.zlbphotography.com (if it doesn't appear in my signature). It will be replacing the current banner there.

Number 3 is my favorite so far, but I love the alignment/drop on number 6, so I was thinking of having the graphic on 3 dropped a little bit, and maybe change the color to some shade of green as I think I enjoy that more than the gold/yellow.

Would appreciate any input, positive or negative as well. Feel free to include site comments if you wish as well.

zlbphotography2513401.jpg

Graphic in concept #6 is my absolute personal fav with #3 coming in very close. I much prefer photography in all caps 1st concept with the small type underneath. Likes nice thumb.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2012
    Hey everyone, I kinda neglected this thread after the initial input. I put in for some revisions, and then they sent back 4 which are as follows. From the original 6, I liked number 3 the best, so I wanted to keep the circle and some sort of stylized font. I asked for something a little easier to read on the ZLB and number 2 on these new ones are what they came up with. I like it.

I have sent in for revisions on these already, but I'd sitll be curious to hear more thoughts on these. From the original set, I liked 6, and how the z dropped lower, and they sorta did that with the new 2, but it's not the same, so I asked to see Concept 2 redone with the Words centered to the circle, not top aligned. Then move the caption down from the word Photography just a little bit as it looks a bit to scrunched up to it.

Also asked if I could see how it looked with a capital Z, but I'm not sure how much that will change with that type of font. And then lastly, I asked to see what it would look like without the caption at all. I can always add that caption anywhere to my site or cards or anything as needed.

So I basically have decided on number 2, just waiting to see a couple revisions which I will hopefully see tomorrow evening. I may take it and cross the Z as I have some weird obsession with crossed Z's. I can't recall if they send me the PSD file when it's all done or not, but if they do, that'd be cool to be able to change it and such with minor tweaks.

I do think I agree with you Cindy on the all caps. Though it may not be in the final version I get from them, (depends if I send back for another revision), that is something I may try to adjust myself, because I think it looks a little nicer as well.

I've been real happy with their turn around time as well. First put in it only took 2 business days, and for the revisions, only 1.

zlbphotographyrevision1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    These are the revised ones that I mentioned just earlier today in my post. Based off of number 2. Real quick looks I like the capital Z for sure, but I think I like the tagline included better.

So out of these, I want the ZLB from concept 4, and I can't decide if I like the alignment on 1 or 2 best now. Leaning towards 1.

zlbphotographyrevision2.jpg

As it turns out, they will send a few different files, which includes a PSD file. So I can make some changes as needed. For the final revision I just asked for the Capital Z to be put on concept one of the latest 4. I think I like the top alignment bettwe than the center. I will likely take a copy of it and try it in all caps font as well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I do greatly appreciate it.
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Now I'm thinking the word "Photography" just looks too big standing out there by itself.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 17, 2012
    With the capital Z it doesn't read as ZLB photography for me, looks like Z "pound" (since lb = abbreviation for pound). I'd say the letters should be all caps or all small.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    Denise, the more I look at it, I think you're right. I did submit for the final product being Zlb, but I do get the psd file, so I will make that change myself. Then play around with sizes to make it fit best,
  • Options
    colinpurringtoncolinpurrington Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    I think the "p" in "photography should be lowercase if word is not all caps (so all lowercase or all uppercase). I also think the logo would work better without the tagline -- you can still use your tagline on your site, but its inclusion in the logo undermines the overall graphical strength, I think. I find the script hard to read. Some school districts don't even teach script anymore, so a script in logo might stamp your business as just for older crowd. My 2 cents. Good luck!