Options

Artist wants to paint my images

deelybugdeelybug Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited January 13, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Not sure if anyone else has had this type of request. A wildlife artist wants to use one of my images in particular and possibly more. Should I charge the artist a commercial license fee for use of my images or just make sure I am credited as the photographer? If I charge, what is typical? I have not set up pricing for downloads (which I now intend to do), so any advice/suggestions appreciated:bow
Jacqueline

Comments

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    I had a request like this years ago from a bodypainter that wanted to use one of my glamour images.

Frankly, I was surprised he asked. It was pretty a generic shot that I think he could have found anywhere. AS far as I was concerned, once he painted it, it was his work and I didn't cross my mind to charge him for using the image. Unless it was something like a specific design, I wouldn't myself think it was right to charge someone for creating their own artwork.

I Told the guy he was free to use anything of mine he liked and he ended up " Using" 3 pics. I would have never recognized the body paintings he did as coming from my pic in the first place but the guy was very through in crediting me for the original image and one of the paintings he did became quite well known in the body painting world.

That was due 110% to his talent, not mine.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    I had a lady ask to use one of my photos for a painting. She won the State Fair painting division with it. Then she turned it into a greeting card and sold a few.
    I figured it was a place on the globe, she could just as easily drive up there and take her own picture or find another one on the internet, no big deal to me.
  • Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I have had this happen and if they want a small pic sell them a download, if however they want a large one[ I had one want an 11x17 so they could see every detail] then sell them that and ask for credit. If they are asking for a large one they generally paint an exact copy so credit is due or they would go take the pic themselves. Good for you that someone likes your stuff enough to want to copy it.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com