f/1.8: The Tree Lined Path

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited January 13, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
So for 2012, I've decided to start on a photography project. The goal of this project is to grow in figuring out my vision, style, and to further refine what I'm trying to say when making images. To this extent, I've decided to explore the wider apertures that I seldom use, namely f/1.8->f/4. You can read more about the project here on my blog at http://kabbottphoto.wordpress.com/20...-f1-8-project/

This image is entitled "The Tree Lined Path":

IMG3980-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

C&C Appreciated :D

Comments

• AdamideasAdamideas Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    What fun! Great idea!

Your photo looks very eerie and ghostly and I like that, its like I'm heading down a haunted path that is not quite as scary as the place I'm currently standing. I feel like I should hurry, its getting dark! At first I wondered if there should be something of focus in the foreground (old habits?)... but I like it the way it is. Good job pushing yourself.

Your project intrigued me because I have recently begun teaching a friend how to use his camera. We just started with the shallow/deep depth of field exercise. It has forced me to explore the larger f/stops (usually I'm an f/8-11 guy) and I've have had a lot of fun the last few weeks rediscovering the capabilities of my lenses. Good luck with your project, I would like to keep up with your progress.

Adam
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    I don't get it, I guess - there's nothing in focus. I mean, I like bokeh better n' most, but ...
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    I don't get it, I guess - there's nothing in focus. I mean, I like bokeh better n' most, but ...

What's in focus is actually a small part of the pavement in the very front. Of course, with the processing that's been applied, that part has been darkened a bit and the emphasis taken away from there to really help guide your eye through the photo and not spend as much time down at the bottom focusing on the in focus pavement.

Honestly, looking back at this image a few days after having taken it, I get the sense of a pathway that represents those moments in life where things aren't so concrete or certain.

I do appreciate the feedback. If you're interested in another image from this project in which there is a subject in focus, have a look at this thread that I posted over the weekend: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=212912
    Adamideas wrote:
    What fun! Great idea!

Your photo looks very eerie and ghostly and I like that, its like I'm heading down a haunted path that is not quite as scary as the place I'm currently standing. I feel like I should hurry, its getting dark! At first I wondered if there should be something of focus in the foreground (old habits?)... but I like it the way it is. Good job pushing yourself.

Your project intrigued me because I have recently begun teaching a friend how to use his camera. We just started with the shallow/deep depth of field exercise. It has forced me to explore the larger f/stops (usually I'm an f/8-11 guy) and I've have had a lot of fun the last few weeks rediscovering the capabilities of my lenses. Good luck with your project, I would like to keep up with your progress.

Adam

Thanks, Adam! It's definitely a fun exercise to get started in learning to really use the larger apertures and exploring the creative possibilities that the camera is able to capture. For keeping up with my project, simply visit http://blog.kabbottphoto.com/

Thanks to both of you for your feedback!

Karl
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I like that! Gives lots to the imagination!
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I think you're off to a good start. This one somewhat reminds me of Chris Friel's work, which I always find interesting. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfriel/
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I think you're off to a good start. This one somewhat reminds me of Chris Friel's work, which I always find interesting. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfriel/

Thanks for the comments and the link to Chris Friel's work! From his work, I stumbled upon a flickr group entitled "Photographic Impressionism". Being a fan of Monet, Guillaumin, Degas, and other impressionists, the idea of "photographic impressionism" is very interesting to me. I'll definitely be reading more into that.
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Cool stuff. ill have to check in now and then. a neat self project idea