Facebook Pages vs profiles to share artistic photos

CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
edited January 16, 2012 in The Big Picture
For those who aren't running a booming photography business, do you share your artistic photos via your personal facebook profile or have you created a Facebook "page" to serve as a portfolio of sorts? I've done more commercial work in the past, but with my current (and future) schedule, photography serves more as a hobby and creative outlet than money-making business. My primary online portfolio is my SmugMug site, but now that it is even easier to publish to facebook from SmugMug I'm thinking of posting more via facebook.

For privacy reasons, my personal profile is pretty much restricted to friends only so sharing there limits my potential audience. On other hand, many of my friends aren't "fans" of my Facebook page - although that page is viewable by anyone and search engines can index it. Facebook has also added more categories for pages over time. Currently I have the category set to "People : Artist" but I've also seen people use a number of other combinations...

How do you do it?

Thoughts?

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    I run a FB page for my photography. I started off perplexed and made a new profile for photo but that quickly proved to be the incorrect path. The nice thing is that I can post to my page and 'share' it on my profile so that friends see the image as well. Works well for me. You can follow the link in my sig to see for yourself.
    Enjoy!
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I do the same thing as Eyal. Facebook page for my photography sharing, then reshare to my personal page.
    I use facebook to connect with friends and family, and to post my baseball or event pics.
    If you are just wanting to create a portfolio online to share and get feedback, I recommend you look at google+.
    My family and friends are still on facebook, so I will continue to maintain fb as well.
    I use them for different purposes, but I do cross promote as well.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Sounds like a good way to do it - thanks for the feedback.

MomaZunk - do you use a Google+ Page or just your profile?
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I have a facebook page! I don't have a business, just like to share my work with others who share my passion! Very happy with it!
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I just have a G+ profile. I have not decided if I want to create a page too. For now G+ is for sharing with other artists and not necessarily for marketing my part time business. My clientele are Little League and School parents and have not really adopted G+.
    I may promote my fine art stuff at some point on G+. That will be later in the year and not on the todo list right now.
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I have a facebook page and do the same as most and also share to my personal page. I also have a Postano that I've embedded in my website that pulls in my facebook, twitter and blog postings. What can I say, I like to share. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    I currently have a FB profile (also a Google+) that I am using primarily for photography and the occasional personal info with friends and family. I tried to set up a page but it set to a community page so I could not post or delete it. I have seen on FB community forum that many other people had the same problem. I can still set up a page and may do so, but I am on the fence about it. I'd be interested in what more folks are doing with pages.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com