First attempt at portraiture?

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited November 2, 2005 in People
Okay, so here's my first attempt at portraiture, kasey's gonna kick my butt, but I need suggestions and constructive critisism, that way I know what I did wrong or right, so I know what to do next time I go take photos.

kasey142lv.jpg

kasey157uy.jpg

Thanks!
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Any suggestions? :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Any suggestions? :)

Yeah, I do!

More flattering attire.

The first shot she gets a little lost in the background...maybe a little more rimlight. The flash seems a little strong on the first, as well.

I really like the windswept hair in the second. So much of the background is in shadow, though that it seems a bit bland. Maybe a shallower DOF on that one would have helped with more of the BG out of focus.

She is beautiful. I love her eyes, and I look forward to seeing more of your shots of her.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited October 30, 2005
    Hey when I was at work, someone mentioned using an off camera flash. How much of a difference would that make? Or what about a reflector (one with multi-colored foils)?
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Hey when I was at work, someone mentioned using an off camera flash. How much of a difference would that make? Or what about a reflector (one with multi-colored foils)?
    You might not get so much of the flare in the middle of the eyes with an off camera Flash, but I wouldnt' worry about it too much. Proper flashes are much better than inbuilt flashes though. If you're inside a building then bouncing the flash gives a nice soft illumination, but I appreciate that wasn't exactly an option here.

I've never used a flash with multi-coloured foils/gels. I'm not really so much a fan of them, they're a bit like selective colour photography for me, used effectively they're superb, but they tend to be abused/overused.

Just my opinion, others know much more...

Luke
    edited October 30, 2005
    Actually I used an AF 500FTZ pentax flash, I just don't have the cord and hotshoe to take it off the camera and use it to the side.

What about post processing suggestions? Is there a way to get rid of how flat I made the picture look?
    edited October 30, 2005
    What about post processing suggestions? Is there a way to get rid of how flat I made the picture look?

Is this what you're looking for? If so, I can talk to you about the steps I took to get there.

42260877-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited October 30, 2005
    Well that brought out the flatness, but I also need help with prepping the subject (her). What type of clothing, colors, etc, would you use for fall portrait photography? What about hairstyle as well? What about poses? What are some suggestions on that?

Also, lighting is difficult, I'm probably gonna get a cord so I can have an off camera flash, maybe that will help. I'll borrow a friend's reflector, but how do I use that properly?
  • MayndiMayndi Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    she has GORGEOUS eyes my god!
    Now come on. I know you love :lust me. What are you waiting for?
    "i never knew until the world was my inspiration, and these walls were my canvas"
    Hidilia Carpenter
    1/3/32 - 12/28/04
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    In the first one the lighting is a bit too head-on. There is a bit of darkness to her left side, which is good, but might be better if it was a bit darker still. Not that I know exactly how to achieve this, but its what I would strive for. Highlights, shadows and mid-tones bring out depth in an image. Her face doesn't have quite enough of the mix. Also, she does not separate well from the background. Either choose a different background, or get her further away from it.

I really like the second one with the hair blowing around her face, and the fact she is not actually looking at the camera to me is a plus as well. For whatever reason, I find portraits where the person is not looking at the camera to be powerful. I wanted to point out something that you may have done accidental but should continue to do anyway. Notice how you can still see both eyes. This should always be the case (from what I have been told) in any portrait except for a proper profile shot. If its not a dead-on profile, then make sure you can at least see the other eye's lashes, if not part of the eye itself. The other thing you did, which is good, is that the nose is contained within the lines of her face -- the nose does not break the face. If you break the line of the face it will make the nose look larger and put a "bump" in the outline of her face.

Your portraits look about as good as the ones I have done, but not as good as the ones I'd like to be ablel to take. And that is meant to be a compliment and constructive criticism both. Hope it comes across as such.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited October 30, 2005
    And here's my attempt on the second. This one was much simpler. Let me know if you want me to outline it, if it's what you're looking for.

42267706-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    The first one doesn't really do it for me, but I loike the second picture very much. I don't like her shirt, you have to pay attention to things like this to make your model shine.
    And, as others have mentioned, do yourself a favour and get an external flash!

This is a very good start, keep up the good work!

Regards,
    Andreas
    edited October 31, 2005
    Nordic wrote:
    The first one doesn't really do it for me, but I loike the second picture very much. I don't like her shirt, you have to pay attention to things like this to make your model shine.
    And, as others have mentioned, do yourself a favour and get an external flash!

This is a very good start, keep up the good work!

Regards,
    Andreas

Gar, it is an external flash! eek7.gif
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Mayndi wrote:
    she has GORGEOUS eyes my god!
    why thank you!
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005

hey man it's so easy to make a reflector. all you need is one of those thick poster boards, the ones that wont bend...you know? and then if it's white that works but you can also put foil on the other side with tape. that way you don't go out and buy one and spend a ridiculous amount of money for. like you did with that changing "room" you bought.
    edited November 2, 2005
    hey man it's so easy to make a reflector. all you need is one of those thick poster boards, the ones that wont bend...you know? and then if it's white that works but you can also put foil on the other side with tape. that way you don't go out and buy one and spend a ridiculous amount of money for. like you did with that changing "room" you bought.
    I was thinking gold and silver spraypaint... Ghetto reflecto!

Hey eventually I'll be able to capture how beautiful you actually are vs. how crappy I am at taking portraits.
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    As already disc'd the lighting is very flat
    and this can be improved 'a little' in post. Nevertheless I feel her clothing is a major distraction. Not just that its casual, but that the BLUE shirt washes out her already pale complexion and detracts from her green eyes(is she wearing colored contacts?). A dark emerald green silk blouse might go much better with her eyes and hair. Just a thought..................Mereimage
    edited November 2, 2005
    I think she'd disagree on wearing a blouse :P (well guess it depends on what type, though I've never seen her wear one).

Though I do agree that there are other colors and different clothings that she could wear that would bring out her eyes and such, rather than her blue shirt that she was wearing.

No she's not wearing contacts, her eyes are naturally emerald green.