Options

Ageless

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited January 15, 2012 in Street and Documentary
untitled-1690-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Good one Patti.. :D
    Rags
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Thanks Rags. I followed this lovely couple along the boardwalk as they held hands. It was lovely to watch this interracial couple. I wondered how long they'd been together, decades or new love? If decades, I imagined the problems they must have encountered way back when interracial couples faced prejudice.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I keep looking at the woman in the background, I could care less about the couple. I'm fairly certain that was what drew you to the shot. Her expression was almost there.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Jennifer beat me to it. Yes! It's the expression on the woman in the background that makes this picture. A very good s....t shot.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    I was initially shooting the couple. She certainly adds a voyeuristic feeling. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw her.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Wonderfully sweet moment you captured. You don't see many adults kissing anymore (aside from a parting kiss as they leave the house etc.), but to sit on a bench and just share a kiss for the heck of it complete with eyes closed. It doesn't happen often. This shot makes me happy.

Yes the woman in the back adds a certain element to the shot, one of envy maybe or disgust I suppose. But even without her, I like the shot very much.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,883 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Tender moment, well captured. This is what life is about. Yes, the woman in the background... forget it, the kiss!
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    Molsondog wrote: »
    How, how true. Without the woman in the background the couple is a nice shot. With the woman it's a great shot. The more you look at the woman the more options open up: Jealousy? Loneliness? "Get a room"?

Wonderful, wonderful.

"How do I get me some of that?" mwink.gif Thanks for your comments.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    I think she's clapping clap.gif
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    That woman is definitely not looking at the couple...she's looking at you taking the picture...she's probably been observing you for a while...wondering why you're interested in this couple. Today, this kind of shot, two old people kissing, doesn't evoke that look...but, you catching her in your pictures...especially if you are shooting with a big camera, surely does...I've seen the look many time when I accidentally catch someone in a frame. You can look at the angle of her head. I just see it as a nice picture, albeit out of focus, of two elderly people kissing.

Draw a line down her nose...it's pointed straight at your camera.

There also appears to be another cup on the table in front of her...so, she could be waiting for someone.

I think it's a leap to infer that she is doing otherwise.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Doesn't matter where she's looking, Ed. It's the expression that matters.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 15, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    That woman is definitely not looking at the couple...she's looking at you taking the picture...she's probable been observing you for a while...wondering why you're intersted in this couple. Today, this kind of shot, two old people kissing, doesn't evoke that look...but, you catching her in your pictures...especially if you are shooting with a big camera, surely does...I've seen the look many time when I accidentally catch someone in a frame. You can look at the angle of her head. I just see it as a nice picture, albeit out of focus, of two elderly people kissing.

Draw a line down her nose...it's pointed straight at your camera.

There also appears to be another cup on the table in front of her...so, she could be waiting for someone.

I think it's a leap to infere that she is doing otherwise.
    You're right about the angle of the face, but since we can't see her eyes, I think it's an open question. So we have a tender moment with some ambiguity about the other woman. Sounds like success to me.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    I think it's a successful picture. However, while the woman's expression is interesting and I agree that it helps to add something to the picture, assigning it more than 1% chance that she is NOT looking at the photographer is IMHO looking for meanings when there is none.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 15, 2012
    richardman wrote: »
    I think it's a successful picture. However, while the woman's expression is interesting and I agree that it helps to add something to the picture, assigning it more than 1% chance that she is NOT looking at the photographer is IMHO looking for meanings when there is none.
    She could be looking at the unicorn standing behind the photographer. mwink.gif
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    She could be looking at the unicorn standing behind the photographer. mwink.gif

Correct you are.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2012
    Laughing.gif. Good one Richard. Wish I'd gotten that shot.

patti hinton photography