Options

QR Codes on business cards - worth the space?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited January 15, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I am redesigning my business card after running low on stock of the current design and have put a QR code on the front. It seems that QR codes are everywhere now but I have yet to scan one in the 'real world'. I can find lots of info on % increase in scanning of QR codes but little on actual numbers of click throughs gained from this.

I have played with mine to make it less harsh and more angular and pointed it to my website's domain. I plan on setting up a mobile landing page that will greet visitors who scan the card including links to my blog, a recent video, my FB page, RSS feed and a downloadable vcard.

Was wondering if anyone has found success in using these. I'll post my card below so you can see how the code looks.

Thanks
E

Business-card-white-QR-S.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    1. is it worth the space? absolutely.

2. does anyone use them? doubt it.

3. does it add something extra and a good conversation starter? yes

If there are a few people that use them then you will make a good impression...for those that have to ask what it is, you will explain it and make you seem "fancy" and "high tech", another good impression. I think its a win-win.

I would absolutely get rid of the little directions though. Either they will use it or wont. Also QR codes work on a TON of different apps and more than just iPhone and Android that you mentioned.

I use it on my card...see below.
    i-LVj9wHt-L.jpg
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Thanks Nate

Great card. I wasn't thrilled with the free advertising I was offering those two apps so will gladly remove them and make a verbal recommendation. I will have to confess that until I found the Scan app for iPhone, I never scanned anything. Once I started, it was fun!

Also fun to play with the QR code itself, I went to the pixel level in PS and added black and white pixels to soften corners. There's a 30% tolerance built in so you can play a lot if you just have a simple URL in the QR code. I had tried to put in a full vcard but the code was too complex and did not scan correctly every time.

Now I really need a slick landing page for that code. Currently it goes to my homepage but am working on a page to direct this traffic to.

Appreciate the thoughts
    E
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Thanks Nate

Now I really need a slick landing page for that code. Currently it goes to my homepage but am working on a page to direct this traffic to.

great idea, mine just goes to the homepage.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    I've been considering doing the same. I've not yet scanned a single code or even downloaded a scanner yet... although a couple times I've seen interesting codes I would have scanned if I'd been prepared with a scanner and the time & know how in advance. Guess I'd best be making some time :D
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!