Options

my 1st big job

MaksimusMaksimus Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited January 15, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I am writing to you to ask for a professional advice, you have a huge pro expierience and I am sure you would know. I landed a big photo opportunity :thumbfrom the hospital,they want me to photograph entire staff in a work environment and use these photographs for their brochures and their web site. I have no clue:dunno how to set up my contract proposition and how much to charge.I also have some photographs of the doctors they would like to buy from me. I would appreciate your help if you could give some ideas or place where I could read about how it to set all this up.Thank you a lot.:clap
today is the day , take the picture .:thumb .
www.inmyviewnow.com:barb

Comments

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Just curious, How did you land a job like this when even you don't know what your pricing is?

I don't get how people can undertake photography as a business without " Knowing what to charge" as so many do here.

Unfortunately there isn't any information provided to give you any insight to your pricing question. Given this, I think it may well be better if you pass on this for the time being untill you have more knowledge and experience in order to prevent making a potentialy costly mistake. You get your pricing wrong and you will have to still honor it and on a job this size, it could cost you a lot of money if you don't get your numbers right which in this case seems a distinct possibility.
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I think you should go for it, Maksimus :) You know how long it takes you to work, right? Find out exactly how big this project is, decide how many hours you're going to spend shooting, processing, etc, and then decide how much you need to make per hour for it to be worth it (and charge above that number - you want some leeway).

One thing I'd make very clear in your contract are the time restraints for shooting, as well as what you expect from the hospital and your subjects. A hospital can get pretty hectic, and you don't want to be forced to waste time or have to come back because "something came up".

Oh yeah, and Dgrin has a ton of great resources here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=97869

Good luck man!
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Everything on your website looks to be taken outdoors or with available lighting. Do you have the experience and kit to do a professional job on a production line of portraits? Do you have model releases for your existing images "they want to buy"?
  • Options
    MaksimusMaksimus Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Thank you all,
    yes I do have model releases.
    how I got this job...people from the hospital saw my work ,they liked it enough to offer me this job--opportunity of the moment Glort
    Damian thank you very much I will do everything what you suggested and let you know how everything turned out.
    I think all of us started somewhere and I wanted to know your opinion.
    today is the day , take the picture .:thumb .
    www.inmyviewnow.com:barb