Options

#94 Another newcomer

Bradley KBradley K Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 17, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Angles or shapes, another interesting topic from a very interesting group. The group has caught my interest, and made me excited to participate. So, without much adieu I will take a plunge...

Comments and criticism on a possible entry for #94 is welcome:

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 14, 2012
    Welcome Bradley to the challenge board!

You have an interesting object here that has lots of potential. I would recommend a reshoot and get in closer to the object. Look for different angles or shapes of looking at things. Shoot when there is lots of light to show shadows and contrasts. I was wondering what kind of pattern you would see when lying on the picnic table looking up? Or maybe what kind of angles would be seen by taking a shot at the bottom of the stairs looking upward and tighter crop?

The object is to let your image scream the theme of either shapes or angles without actually needing to explain it with words. This image here is a snapshot of a look out of some sort. That is all I see. Remember that less is more when you are trying to make a a certain point to your pictures!

Keep at it and you will get it! clap.gif
  • Options
    Bradley KBradley K Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2012
    Thank you Joyce, I welcomed your comments, they were direct, insightful and provided considerable guidance.

Indeed, you are so very correct in identifying a snapshot. It is an object which I saw a lot of angles in, and imagined would be suitable from that perspective solely. If I understand this more clearly now, the point is to communicate the concept angle, as much as possible, utilizing composition and perspective as much as or even more so than the subject itself? Suggesting, that perhaps something of the following nature would be much closer to fulfilling this purpose?
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 15, 2012
    Now your getting it!
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    Now your getting it!

Yes! Much better for a CHALLENGE... you have a great bridge there, with lots of strong lines, implied angles ...
    The first image could be worked, though...STUDY it... walk around it... SEE it...
    Welcome to the challenges!
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Yes, I like this bridge, too. Any way you can straighten the post on the right?
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Welcome to Dgrin, Bradley! I agree that the bridge is better and that you should think about reshooting your first subject at various levels of detail and perspectives. You might also consider cropping the bridge to drop some of the detail at the bottom.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Welcome to Dgrin, Bradley! I agree that the bridge is better and that you should think about reshooting your first subject at various levels of detail and perspectives. You might also consider cropping the bridge to drop some of the detail at the bottom.

15524779-Ti.gif

... and welcome :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Welcome!
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Yes, I like this bridge, too. Any way you can straighten the post on the right?

If straightening isn't an option a crop on the right might do the same thing...
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    You might also consider cropping the bridge to drop some of the detail at the bottom.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug