Newbie looking for C&C

tgeezeytgeezey Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited January 14, 2012 in Wildlife
Hello all,

I'm new to the site and relatively new to photography. I have a couple close friends that are pro/semi-pro photographers and turned me on to this site so I can continue to enhance and learn new techniques, better understand composition, exposure, you name it. I appreciate and welcome all C&C regardless of how brutal, bring it on! This shot is a pelican shot at LaJolla, CA. I shoot with a Canon 2Ti and have Photoshop 7, but just purchased Lightroom 3. I look forward to your feedback and learning from each of you!
Pelican-Final-Photoshop-M.jpg

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif If you hang around for awhile you will be able to pick up lots of good info. Check out the tutorial forum for a lot of info. I have a tute on wildlife photography there. You can also take a gander at the Tips and Resources stickie on top of this page.

Your image in your post is pretty good. Comp wise you have too much dead space in the upper third of the frame. If possible you should have gotten closer to the subject or you might want to consider a tighter crop.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • austinjamesaustinjames Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Welcome to the forum. I am pretty new here too but have found the info and people on this site to be very helpful. I probably would have shot the image landscape instead of portrait without any other elements up top.
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Hello! Welcome to dgrin, and to the world of wildlife. If you are like most of us youll soon become addicted! There is no other photography like wildlife. Its a sport in itself. I think you did great on the exposure and it is an interesting photo. Thats two keys to this challenging work. If i was going to use portrait style i might have added just a tad more at the bottom. But we all must use our own creative minds and break rules at times. The miracles of nature are a joy to observe and I hope you dont get too caught up in the moment to not enjoy.

I forgot to add that i love lightroom, it offers a world of tools to make the best of your images in a quick manner.
  • BirderBirder Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Welcome to the forum! As you can see I am also relatively new to the forum, I look forward to hearing your C&C as well. I agree that this looks like a landscape orientation may work better, colors are good. It looks like you might have been shooting from above the pelican? I would enjoy a bit more blur in the bokeh, which is usually easier shooting from a lower angle.
  • tgeezeytgeezey Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the welcome and the feedback! I will play with the original to see how much I can improve on it given the shot it is. I'm excited to learn from each of you.