Small Ride

scootogscootog Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited January 15, 2012 in Wildlife
I went for a small ride. I just need to get out for a few hours. I concentrated on wildlife. A few of my shots for your amusement.. Q&C anytime...

I'm not happy with any of these. I really need to concentrate on camera set up before I rush off to click pics... These were taken from about 100 yard to 500 yards. I may be expecting too much.

i-ChMFMW6-L.jpg

i-vD7FVQ9-L.jpg

i-jGmGLZv-XL.jpg

i-8Zj7Swr-L.jpg

i-DH22Swp-L.jpg

i-NhPLCrt-L.jpg

AdventureSportRider

Comments

• RiaLouiseRiaLouise Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    I love your grevy images. I think the first one (with the two grevy zebras) is excellent, but I think the second zebra image could improve with some cropping, maybe tighten it up to focus on just the front end or head. Now for some random info...did you know zebras are actually brown and white not black and white. For more random animal info (non-photo facts) hit me up I use to work as a keeper in a zoo.
    *RiaLouise Warner*
    Peace, Love and Memories
  • scootogscootog Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    RiaLouise wrote: »
    I love your grevy images. I think the first one (with the two grevy zebras) is excellent, but I think the second zebra image could improve with some cropping, maybe tighten it up to focus on just the front end or head. Now for some random info...did you know zebras are actually brown and white not black and white. For more random animal info (non-photo facts) hit me up I use to work as a keeper in a zoo.

rolleyes1.gif

OK, why do female hyenas have male genitalia?ne_nau.gif

Thanks BTW.thumb.gif

AdventureSportRider
  • RiaLouiseRiaLouise Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    I know that in at least the spotted or laughing hyenas female have an enlarged clitoris (that is capable of becoming erected) that is near a pair of sacs filled with fibrous tissue. So, even though females look like they have male genitalia it is actually just very pronounced female genitals. The easiest way to tell them apart without becoming too friendly is to look for a 'discipline patch' near the shoulder blades. A discipline patch is typically a balding area where the females have bit the males in order to maintain dominance. But, if you want to get friendly with them the female sacs are covered in much more hair then the male scrotum.
    *RiaLouise Warner*
    Peace, Love and Memories
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    scootog wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gif

OK, why do female hyenas have male genitalia?ne_nau.gif

Thanks BTW.thumb.gif

This should give you that answer http://www.vet.cornell.edu/labs/place/publications/11cunha%20et%20al.2003.pdf
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"