Options

China October 2011

knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited March 20, 2012 in Journeys
This past October we took a quick trip to China. The main purpose of our visit was to see some pandas and take a cruise down the Yangtze to see what was left of the Three Gorges. We had wanted to visit the Three Gorges before the dam was closed but just could not make it happen at the time.

We arrived in Shanghai for our first stop. This was just a day to rest before we continued our trip. Here are a few shots from our stop in Shanghai.

1110210808SKH0017-M.jpg

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->1. Shanghai Arrival

1110210842SKH0021-M.jpg
2. Looking for the meeting place with friends who arrived about the same time we did.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->While we would have liked to have visited one of our favorite places, the Shanghai Museum, we headed out to see things we had not seen before. On our first day we first went to the Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Center. The Exhibition Center displays Shanghai's urban planning and development. Exhibitions include models of planned and recent developments, as well as Shanghai's history. The model of the city of Shanghai was very interesting and a photographic challenge.

1110220954SKH0073Master-M.jpg
3. Sculpture in the lobby of the center

1110220947SKH0058-M.jpg
4. Sculpture detail

1110221022SKH0122Master-M.jpg
5. Model of the city

1110221022EDH0113Master-M.jpg
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
6. The white balance of the shots changed as tour guides turned on and off lights on various sections of the model.

Outside of the Planning Center in the Peoples’ Square we watched children playing in the fountain and flying kites.

1110221127EDH0203-M.jpg
7. We took lots of shots of the kids and their parents playing in the fountain

1110221131SKH0307Master-M.jpg
8. Chasing bubbles

We kept watching the fountain after it was turned off to see who might get caught when it was turned back on but did not stay long enough to see anyone get soaked.

1110221133SKH0345Master-M.jpg
9. Kites

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->After spending time in the Square we went to the Xintiandi shopping area. This was a nice place to rest and get away from some of the noise of the city. Xintiandi is an urban tourist attraction re-creation born out of the sprawls of Shikumen, literally "stone gate", housing, the architectural symbol of Shanghai in the 20th century. Xintiandi was created by converting residential blocks into a dining, retail, and entertainment area. The buildings within Xintiandi retain the antique walls, tiles and exterior of the Shikumen housing of old Shanghai. There were a lot of very stylish young Chinese people here.

1110221154SKH0378Master-M.jpg
10. View down one of the side streets

1110221155SKH0384Master-M.jpg
11. Since this was our first day on the ground, this tea set did not come home with us. But Ella really wanted to buy it.

1110221204EDH0295Master-M.jpg
12. See and be seen

1110221213SKH0432Master-M.jpg
13. Pedestrian walk way

1110221222EDH0319Master-M.jpg
14. Loved the shoes

Comments

• Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    Following the shopping area it was time to go look at a silk shop. We were on a tour and this is one of the prices you pay for traveling with a tour group. However we were interested in looking for another silk comforter cover and were interested in what the shop might offer. The visit began with the usual “how silk is made” demo and ended with being herded through the shop before getting to the exit. There were beautiful comforter covers available but the prices were high and there was very little bargaining on the price. We felt that the sales women were going through the motions when it came to bargaining. The comforter covers stayed in the shop this time.

1110221341SKH0502Master-M.jpg
    15. The demo area of the shop showing the equipment used to get the silk thread from the cocoons

1110221341EDH0328-M.jpg
    16. Unrolling the thread from the cocoon after it had soaked in hot water.

1110221354SKH0533Master-M.jpg
    17. One of the comforter covers we did not buy

1110221410SKH0555Master-M.jpg
    18. The shop was also selling some nice chopsticks

Our next stop was for a late lunch; we were too busy eating to take any interesting photos. After lunch we went to Yuyuan Gardens. Yuyuan is a famous classical garden finished in 1577 by a government officer of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) named Pan Yunduan. Yu in Chinese means pleasing and satisfying, and this garden was specially built for Pan's parents as a place for them to enjoy a tranquil and happy time in their old age. In our visit to Yuyuan about five years ago we took some of our favorite photos. In this visit taking photos was a challenge because of the number of people visiting the garden. We were there on a weekend and there were crowds everywhere.

1110221521SKH0630-M.jpg
    19. Gateway

1110221523EDH0404-M.jpg
    20. The shadows on the wall caught Ella's eye

1110221538EDH0446-M.jpg
    21. Roof detail

1110221549EDH0483Master-M.jpg
    22. We have been working on a collection of people taking photos for the past year or so.

1110221556SKH0785-M.jpg
    23. I liked this gate. I am still thinking about how I want this shot to look. I am beginning to think about a square crop. Since I started in photography shooting 2 1/4 I find I still frame many shots as a square but do not usually realize it until I get back to the computer.

1110221558SKH0800-M.jpg
    24. Another roof detail

1110221600SKH0810-M.jpg
    25. I think we shot so many roofs as a way of getting a shot without the crowds of people

1110221605EDH0517-2-M.jpg
    26. One of Ella’s photo collections is a set of chairs from around the world. She is always on the lookout for an interesting chair and interesting looking street dogs.

1110221610SKH0861-M.jpg
    27. The old and the new city

1110221613SKH0869-M.jpg
    28. The shopping area outside the gardens.

1110221613EDH0556-M.jpg
    29. Lots of saturated colors

1110221616EDH0569-M.jpg
    30. Mao (but it might be a former mayor of Shanghai) and the Buddhas

1110221639SKH0945Master-M.jpg
    31. Sunset in Shanghai

After supper we went to the Pudong area for a trip up the Oriental Pearl TV Tower. We have seen this area at night before while on a boat on the river. Great view but the moving boat was a poor platform for night shots. It was nice to visit the area on land so that we could get some photos.

1110222016SKH1022Master-M.jpg
    32. Oriental Pearl TV Tower

1110222039SKH1052Master-M.jpg
    33. View across the river of the Bund from the observation level of the Oriental Pearl Tower

The changing colors and patterns of lights at the base of the elevators in the Oriental Pearl Tower was very interesting.
    1110222030SKH1045Master-M.jpg
    34. Elevator shaft lights
    1110222032EDH0683Master-M.jpg
    35. Elevator shaft lights

1110222143SKH1099Master-M.jpg
    36. The Bund is the older European built section of the city along the river on the bank opposite from the Pudong.

1110222145SKH1110pano-M.jpg
    37. Pano of the Pudong taken from the riverside walk along the Bund (four vertical shots taken with a 35mm lens and stitched in Photoshop).

The next morning we caught a much too early flight from Shanghai to Chungdu. Gotta see the pandas! More later.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Awesome, thanks for sharing!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Good stuff! Though I've never been to Shanghai, I'm looking forward to your shots of the Three Gorges. My wife and I went there in 1999 specifically to see them before the dam was completed. Thanks for the Journey!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Thanks to both of you for your comments. As soon as I finish processing a few photos for an upcoming show I'll get the rest of the China photos edited and processed.

We are really sorry that we were not able to see the Yangtze before the dam was closed. It was hard to imagine what the gorges looked like when the water was 175 meters lower.
  • Options
    Ty SheersTy Sheers Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Really love your shots. Well done and thanks for sharing !!
    Any more ? ;)
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Beautiful set from Shanghai. When I was there last year we toured all over Jiangsu Province. Those round doorways are typical of Ming architecture which originated in Nanjing, the capital of Jiangsu and 2 hours west of Shanghai on the Yangtze River. If you get a chance to go back I strongly suggest visiting Suzhou and Zhouzhuang. Both are water cities and loaded with round doorways.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2012
    Thanks David,

We have been to Zhujiajiao (same as Zhouzhuang?) on another trip to China. It was a great place to take photos. You can see those photos here: http://www.stonecoastphotography.com/Places/China/Shanghai.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2012
    knapph wrote: »
    Thanks David,

We have been to Zhujiajiao (same as Zhouzhuang?) on another trip to China. It was a great place to take photos. You can see those photos here: http://www.stonecoastphotography.com/Places/China/Shanghai.

Great gallery. Is Zhujiajiao also part of Suzhou? her is my entire China Gallery http://www.davidweissphotos.com/Places/China
    My Website
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2012
    by the way your people shots are excellent.
    My Website
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited February 12, 2012
    What a beautiful set of photos! Thanks for sharing them along with your story.

--- Denise
  • Options
    LornceLornce Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    You've done this before.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
  • Options
    rojam1000rojam1000 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    beautiful set went to shanghai in 2004 and this set brought happy memories back to me i been back to china two more times to different cities
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Great job, very well documented.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery