Options

EXIF info

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited October 31, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Anyone know why some photos and not others will have the little EXIF link in a gallery?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Anyone know why some photos and not others will have the little EXIF link in a gallery?

Yes. If you "save as" you'll retain the exif. If you "save for web" you'll lose the exif, and smugmug will not display the exif link.

Hope this helps,
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Yes. If you "save as" you'll retain the exif. If you "save for web" you'll lose the exif, and smugmug will not display the exif link.

Hope this helps,

examples:

with exif, "save as"

without exif, "save for web"
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    thanks Andy. All my images are "save as" (I've never used "saved for web")yet some display the data and some don't.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    thanks Andy. All my images are "save as" (I've never used "saved for web")yet some display the data and some don't.

do you use nikon capture as part of your workflow? i've heard that can strip some stuff too if not done "just so..."

in anycase, if you'd care to link the originals i'll be happy to look into it further angelo ... need to turn on originals for the files affected.

Andy
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    I don't use Capture.

I'll try to turn on "originals" as you requested.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I don't use Capture.

I'll try to turn on "originals" as you requested.

Angelo - just for an example shot, ok? Thanks. Also, try to think if you processed those shots any differently? Is it a large number of shots? Something's not right... ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Angelo - just for an example shot, ok? Thanks. Also, try to think if you processed those shots any differently? Is it a large number of shots? Something's not right... ear.gif
    I can't think of anything I've done differently of late. I have originals turned on in all galleries. This gallery: http://angelo.smugmug.com/gallery/370461
    is where I "dump" pix I want to link to dGrin but not add to public galleries. (I've temporarily made it a public gallery so you can view it)

You'll see that only pic #1 has EXIF info. I'll continue to test and investigate also. Thanks for your help (and patience)
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I can't think of anything I've done differently of late. I have originals turned on in all galleries. This gallery: http://angelo.smugmug.com/gallery/370461
    is where I "dump" pix I want to link to dGrin but not add to public galleries. (I've temporarily made it a public gallery so you can view it)

You'll see that only pic #1 has EXIF info. I'll continue to test and investigate also. Thanks for your help (and patience)

Angelo, most of those have been editied and resized. And I'm certain that something in your editing process is stripping the exif. I can see the exif in your first pic.

Please detail, specifically, your entire workflow, inluding exactly what software and the steps you are taking to open, edit, and save your photos.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Angelo, most of those have been editied and resized. And I'm certain that something in your editing process is stripping the exif. I can see the exif in your first pic.

Please detail, specifically, your entire workflow, inluding exactly what software and the steps you are taking to open, edit, and save your photos.
    I agree, that seems to be the culprit, yet my "Capitol Records" shots in "Architecture" have EXIF and I handled those the same way.

My detailed workflow: 1) Open jpg in Corel's PhotoPaint (v10); 2) crop if necessary; 3) adjustments to color, contrast, etc as necessary; 4) resample to 755 pixels @ 72dpi; 5) export as new jpg, maintaining max file size of 117b; 6) upload to SM or dGrin
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I agree, that seems to be the culprit, yet my "Capitol Records" shots in "Architecture" have EXIF and I handled those the same way.

My detailed workflow: 1) Open jpg in Corel's PhotoPaint (v10); 2) crop if necessary; 3) adjustments to color, contrast, etc as necessary; 4) resample to 755 pixels @ 72dpi; 5) export as new jpg, maintaining max file size of 117b; 6) upload to SM or dGrin

I'm certain it's happening in Corel PHotopaint, Angelo. Probably in the "export as new jpg" process. Is there just a "save as" function, not an export? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I'm certain it's happening in Corel PHotopaint, Angelo. Probably in the "export as new jpg" process. Is there just a "save as" function, not an export? ear.gif
    You're probably right and yes I can "Save As". I'll do a few tests over the course of the day and see if I can fix this.

Now that I understand I have greater size limits to loading file sizes I can change that "export", which I've done to-date to constrain file size. (I was confused and applying the dGrin size limits to my SM uploads)

Thanks for taking the time to help. I'll let you know what I find in my tests.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    You're probably right and yes I can "Save As". I'll do a few tests over the course of the day and see if I can fix this.

Now that I understand I have greater size limits to loading file sizes I can change that "export", which I've done to-date to constrain file size. (I was confused and applying the dGrin size limits to my SM uploads)

Thanks for taking the time to help. I'll let you know what I find in my tests.

Great! Remember, you can upload your full-size originals (after editing) and let smugmug handle the resizing for you (-L large, 800px longest side, -M medium, etc) it's all automatic!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    after several tests it seems the culprit is my photo-paint program. (although earlier shots were done the same way)

If I do any sort of editing the EXIF is stripped, regardless of how I save the image.

I followed the same workflow in PS and the EXIF was retained.

I guess I'll finally have to learn to use PS instead. Thanks for your help Andy.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    after several tests it seems the culprit is my photo-paint program. (although earlier shots were done the same way)

If I do any sort of editing the EXIF is stripped, regardless of how I save the image.

I followed the same workflow in PS and the EXIF was retained.

I guess I'll finally have to learn to use PS instead. Thanks for your help Andy.

Excellent, Angelo, glad we got to the bottom of this. Thanks for closing the loop on it!