Canon EF 1.4x II or III Extender

mattdasplatmattdasplat Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 31, 2012 in House of Canon
Preferably in top notch condition. I'm in New Zealand so you would need to be comfortable shipping here.

Many thanks

Matt

Comments

• deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Hi Matt, I don't have one but I did in the past. You should look to buy a Kenko pro 300 1.4x DGX, I have one after reading hundreds of reviews and am extremely pleased with the results. It is better than most and works perfectly on canon f/4.5 to 5.6 which even the canon DOES NOT. It is available on e-bay and if you get one from Japan or China it is free shipping and arrives twice as fast as anywhere else. I have all Canon gear except for this item because it is great. Good luck!
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • mattdasplatmattdasplat Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2012
    Thanks for you reply! Looking into it now. Just to clarify, I have a Canon 100-400mm 4.0-5.6, so are you saying that I will get AF on the 4.5-5.6 range using the Kenko, but not on the Canon? Provided it doesn't degrade the quality any further than that of the Canon I would be more than happy to have one.
  • deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Yes Matt, That is correct. The lens you have will not give you auto focus with the canon!! Ridiculous I know but canon want s to sell the 2.8 which will give you auto.If you are shooting stuff other than birds or fast objects manual focus is fine but if you use the longer range f/5.6 will increase not allowing auto except on the kenko which WILL allow auto focus. I use the kenko on both my 2.8 canon lens and my 4.5-5.6 canon lenses. The quality is the same as the canon if you stay with the 1.4x and stay away from the 2x[quality reduces on any 2x] on both the canon or any brand. Go to BHphoto.com and read the reviews on this and you will see It is a great product.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • EZPZEZPZ Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Canon 1.4x II
    Preferably in top notch condition. I'm in New Zealand so you would need to be comfortable shipping here.

Many thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

I've got one. It's like new. The date code is URxxx. It comes with all of the original materials, including the box, lens bag, caps and paperwork. Shipping to New Zealand is about $40 via Priority Mail International. So I have to add that plus 1% to whatever the going rate is for these, about $240 I think. Let me know if you're interested and we can work something out.
    edited January 16, 2012
    Thanks EZPZ - I've ordered one of the Kenko extenders that Deb suggested to see how it performs, but if I do end up deciding to get the Canon one I'll be in touch. The problem with our customs system over here, is that if the entire cost of a package including shipping is over $400NZD, we get New Zealand tax slapped on top of it as well so I'd have to watch that because it starts to make buying things from overseas not worthwhile. I just had to pay an additional $250 on top of my already expensive 100-400mm L lens :S
    edited January 16, 2012
    And just on that, thanks for the suggestion Deb, I should have the extender by the end of the week to see how it performs.
  • Twin headlight ErnieTwin headlight Ernie Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Kenko
    I don't want to hijack your thread, but just wanted to say thanks for the information. I had a Canon 2X that did not work with my 100-400. A good friend took it off my hands for what I paid for it. I just ordered a Kenko too. Thanks again. Ernie
  • EZPZEZPZ Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Auto-focus w/ Kenko
    I'm very interested in any observations a out this adapter. Please report backonce you've had a chance to use it.
  • Twin headlight ErnieTwin headlight Ernie Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    1.4 extender
    I ordered the extender and got a chance to use it. My 100/400 and 70/200 both work with it which is a big plus over the canon that I had. Happy with the results. That's my 2 cents. 2HE