Options

500w halogen work light?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 16, 2012 in Accessories
Has anybody used these for shooting? I have 2x flashes, but I'm seeing people playing wtih video lights mixed with flash (interesting intetionally mixed colour temps) and it got me thinking... I saw one of these in Lowes the other day and at under $30 it seemed like it might be kinda fun, but couldn't find out what the colour temp was.

Has anybody tried one? Further info on halogen mixed with flash? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited January 15, 2012
    Quartz tungsten halogen technology has been around a long time and has been a source of light for video since video technology has been around.

The reason you won't find a color temperature rating for work lights is:
    1) It's a work light and knowing the color temperature is not required for that use.
    2) The color temperature is dependent on the particular quartz tungsten halogen bulb used in the fixture (which can change during the assembly and manufacture of the unit, or which the "the user" can change afterwards by replacing the bulb.)

If you should purchase a quartz tungsten halogen work light, just check the numbers on the bulb to find out that particular bulb's color temperature rating. Typically you can find quartz tungsten halogen bulbs rated from 2800° K to 3400° K. (Never touch the quartz envelope with your fingers as the oil on your fingers can cause the quartz to fail catastrophically and violently.)

Quartz tungsten halogen bulbs run "very" hot and do pose a fire hazard. Most quartz tungsten halogen work lights do have a protective glass cover designed to help prevent hot shrapnel from being ejected from the housing if failure should occur.

Also, never move a quartz tungsten halogen appliance until it has cooled. The tungsten filament is at its weakest when it's hot and will easily break.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Has anybody used these for shooting? I have 2x flashes, but I'm seeing people playing wtih video lights mixed with flash (interesting intetionally mixed colour temps) and it got me thinking... I saw one of these in Lowes the other day and at under $30 it seemed like it might be kinda fun, but couldn't find out what the colour temp was.

Has anybody tried one? Further info on halogen mixed with flash? Thoughts?

Thanks!

I have them and use them ( worklights) typically if I just need to light a backdrop, such as a Green-Screen. They're hot-HOT-hot of course, which is why so many folks don't like Tungsten/Halogen/continuous: lighting.

The deal is, they're cheap! They can do exactly what they're designed to do well. On a simple portrait, 3/4 length it'll take two to give you even lighting across a BG. So if you need to shoot full length or landscape orientation, then buy four of them. The other things I like is ease. Their easy to set up. And if you're handy with a drill you can easily attach or make and attach barn-doors for them. I did. I got sheet metal from LOWES and cut it in the shapes I needed and drill & screwed them into place. Bend to suit! Of Course the Barn-doors help keep the spillage of light from the talent.

Mixed lighting I like that idea and have tried to use it and the biggest issue you get into there is wattage. Lets say we're going to shoot a scene at some place within your home. And we want to control ambient to give it some 'Ambiance'. And we want it to look like it's morning light shining/filtering thru the window. You'll need about 2kw to start with IMO, and perhaps more based on all the normal things such as Aperture ISO, light on the talent, and how much ambient light you allow.

So best uses for worklights:

1. Work!
    2. Next is BG only.

Best Qualities:
    Lots of easily placed light.

Biggest drawback: HOT; danger-danger: Hot!

Oh, and mixing with flash? and never mind the color temp, the output of the flash compared to the Worklight may have you wanting for more Worklights!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Also, in case this is relevant. Here's a capture EIXF intact. 1300w total from two fresnels @ 12ft. to actors up/left.

Myron1-L.jpg
    tom wise
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited January 16, 2012
    I don't know why, but I thought this was a video-related question, which is why I gave a video-related response.

I have not used tungsten-halogen for still photography for decades because electronic flash, either studio lights or compact speedlights/speedlites are so much better for a number of different reasons:
    No heat or safety problem with the flash powered lights.
    Much better power utilization. Powering tungsten-halogen technology can tax an already loaded mains power circuit.
    Daylight color balance (generally) for flash powered technology.
    Larger pupils in indoor subject(s) eyes using flash.

As Angevin points out, tungsten-halogen can have occasional use for background lighting, but I highly recommend flash powered lights for most photography applications.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Awesome answers, guys. I was actually thinking of them for a background/kicker/light temp manipulator. I'm a fan of this photographer's work and like the way she plays with mixed temps, which is one of the things which gave me the idea.

http://kristinhoebermann.com/index.php/opera

Look down the strip on the right (I'm not sure if they rotate, so can't tell you which shot it is), and you'll see what I mean. I'm guessing she's using incandescent or video lighting.

Anyway, that's what got me thinking. I suppose I really ought to check out an LED panel, but with two shoots next week and no time to practice (and already spent my budget on some other stuff), I'm not sure that's an option this time out ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    I'd never use them in the presence of a client, 'cause I think I'd look like a plumber trying to act like a photographer. And I'm just not a qualified plumber.

1. Too much heat
    2. Too little light
    3. Too hard to modify
    4. Too big and clunky
    5. Four of them on a household circuit = popped circuit breaker.
    6. Did I mention too much heat?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Ok, I'm getting the "they run really really hot" message loud and clear here (have I mentioned recently how much I love you guys? You crack me up. AND educate me!!!) rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Ok, as an alternative - how would something like this work? Again, I'm just looking for a (cheap) something to play with for a couple of artistic effects; I have my two speedlights and usual modifiers for more "conventional" looks.

http://www.amazon.com/CN-126-Video-Camera-Digital-Camcorder/dp/B004JZI78O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1326735513&sr=8-4
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Awesome answers, guys. I was actually thinking of them for a background/kicker/light temp manipulator. I'm a fan of this photographer's work and like the way she plays with mixed temps, which is one of the things which gave me the idea.

http://kristinhoebermann.com/index.php/opera

Look down the strip on the right (I'm not sure if they rotate, so can't tell you which shot it is), and you'll see what I mean. I'm guessing she's using incandescent or video lighting.

Anyway, that's what got me thinking. I suppose I really ought to check out an LED panel, but with two shoots next week and no time to practice (and already spent my budget on some other stuff), I'm not sure that's an option this time out ne_nau.gif

Do yourself a favor and gel yer flashguns, or even direct them thru a colored glass! THAT is a relatively quicky thing you can play with prior to client arrival!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Ok, as an alternative - how would something like this work? Again, I'm just looking for a (cheap) something to play with for a couple of artistic effects; I have my two speedlights and usual modifiers for more "conventional" looks.

http://www.amazon.com/CN-126-Video-Camera-Digital-Camcorder/dp/B004JZI78O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1326735513&sr=8-4

Give up the LED thing unless your gonna go all LED

Reason: Not near enough lumens...and you will be NOT happy!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Yes, playing with flashguns for sure - plenty of gels. I just don't have enough speedlights (really need a 3rd - it's on my list, but I needed backgrounds and some other modifiers first. Have also been waiting to see what Canon releases this year since the rumors are interesting. If that pans out, I'll get another 430ex). I actually just ordered the cheapie LED panel (before I came back here to read your response Tom - not ignoring you, just jumped the gun!). For the small space, it might be just the thing to add some extra ambient (I can super-clamp it to the window) or a backglow or... whatever. For $30 I figured I can try it, and free shipping from Amazon means if I hate my net loss will only be the $4 to send it back thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    ............... but I highly recommend flash powered lights for most photography applications.

Trusted phrase, trusted source!

I've seen your handy work with your photos obviously DM, and taking Ziggy's suggestion with mine involving gels and so forth is LESS of a course in frustration.

But buy some shop lights when you have time to really play and, if like me, you don't mind doing the epic fail dance for a bit.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Yes, playing with flashguns for sure - plenty of gels. I just don't have enough speedlights (really need a 3rd - it's on my list, but I needed backgrounds and some other modifiers first. Have also been waiting to see what Canon releases this year since the rumors are interesting. If that pans out, I'll get another 430ex). I actually just ordered the cheapie LED panel (before I came back here to read your response Tom - not ignoring you, just jumped the gun!). For the small space, it might be just the thing to add some extra ambient (I can super-clamp it to the window) or a backglow or... whatever. For $30 I figured I can try it, and free shipping from Amazon means if I hate my net loss will only be the $4 to send it back thumb.gif

Your right of course, cheap light and gives you something to do :D

Better than me. I bought my first On-cam LED late 2010 and it was about $265 and is small and if you like flat and direct light can be fine. But like most folks from Stills land, flat direct light is a bit hard to swallow.

Please let us know how that works out for you.
    tom wise