some practice with Hawks

pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
edited January 16, 2012 in Wildlife
I took some time today to practice with birds and went looking for some Hawks. Found one semi-cooperative bird.

I'm still working on focus, and will continue to try and figure out if it is me, settings, or calibration.

This image was taken from the car with the lens/camera steadied against the rubber gasket. Looking in DPP the primary focus point was in the birds chest, so I expected better results.

I believe it is a Cooper's Hawk
MG5873-Edit-L.jpg

Well, he didn't like me getting too close and decided to find another roost.
MG5881-2-L.jpg

Comments

• PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    I know what you mean! I can think of two things that might help--I take quite a few from my car. I steady my camera on a bean bag that I got from naturescapes.net. Second, I use a cable release, so that there is no camera shake that would occur if I pressed the shutter myself. Keep trying! We are all in this together. Best, Pam
  • pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions Pam.

I used them and took the tripod and cable release down to the park with my lab and made him model for me. It appears to me that both of my 70-200 and 400 F5.6 are off in focus. in most cases with the focus point on the eye or between the eyes (confirmed by DPP), the nose is in better focus than the focus point.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    I almost always after auto focus tweak it manually to the eyes. ... if I have time. The camera is
    probably focusing on a high contrasty area that includes more then the eyes. Long lenses are
    worst with the shallow DOF.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    1/1000 and f/10 - you should be okay. It's either that the lenses off-focus or camera shake. It can't be which focus point the camera is selecting because that's what you're checking in DPP.

Scott Kelby would tell you its camera shake. It's always camera shake. mwink.gif
    edited January 16, 2012
    I put some of the test shots up on my smugmug site. I used photoshop to lay in the focus point and put in test with the settings.

to me it looks a bit front focused on both lenses, but admittedly I'm not experienced enough to say if this is within the normal range on not.

Thoughts?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    How heavily cropped are these captures?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited January 16, 2012
    These are straight out of the camera with the exception of the text and the focus drawing i did. The originals are available for view in smugmug
  • D90markD90mark Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    I looked at the pictures of the Lab at your link and I don't think they look that bad. They are a tad dark but it looks like you are at -1/3 EV. You should be able to work those no problem PP. What are your camera settings? Are you shooting standard,vivid etc. Have you added any saturation or sharpening in camera?

And I am with Harry. If the hawk is a heavy crop it will be a bit soft.
    edited January 16, 2012
    Harry,
    I'm sorry, I thought your question about crop was related to the test pics I took today.

Here are the original Hawk picture. All sharpening and cropping removed.
    i-9VHvcSg-L.jpg

i-k8XnjCM-L.jpg