Another Stab at Rust

BailiejoBailiejo Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited January 19, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Is this one a little better? Still don't know how to enhance pics yet.

DSC0073-L.jpg

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,890 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    OK This has potential. You need to increase saturation without guilt, in addition I would increase the black tones. After that you can play with individual color hues and saturation. You are getting close!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    It looks to have real potential. Play around with the sliders....saturation, contrast, etc....and see if you can't shake some excitement out of this image. Get aggressive.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    OK This has potential. You need to increase saturation without gilt, in addition I would increase the black tones. After that you can play with individual color hues and saturation. You are getting close!

That's what we need more of; remorseless PP..... :D
    Rags
  • knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Another very effective way to change the look of a photo with similar colors is to use the LAB color space to pull the colors apart. This takes Photoshop. Do a search for the term "Man from Mars" and LAB.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 17, 2012
    If you have CS5, Image->Adjustments->HDR Toning will get you to Mars in no time at all. lol3.gif

There's potential in this one, but it does require some work. In addition to goosing the saturation, sharpening and contrast, you might also want to consider cropping so as to leave only the most interesting parts of the image.
  • BailiejoBailiejo Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Thanks for the comments Richard, Knapph, Torags, Black Mamba and Juano. On a scale of 0 to 10, I'd say I'm at about .7 which is an increase of .7 from my first Rust pic. However, I'm not giving up - I'm going to get to 10 if it kills me. That means I'll have to open Photo Shop Elements and see what I can find.

I know this isn't an educational forum, however, I do have a question. What does PP stand for? I've created a manual index card called "Rust Potential" and recorded all of your suggestions for my next shot. Thanks again... I really appreciate the help.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 17, 2012
    PP = post-processing--it's all the stuff we do on computers (usually) to tweak pics after shooting them. And this most emphatically is an educational forum--we're all here to learn and help others when we can. There are lots of good tutorials available on Dgrin, and we have a forum dedicated to post-processing (Finishing School). deal.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    I agree .. there is a whole lot of potential with this shot :D

Rust gets addicting ... you'll have fun with it as soon as you get your photo into Photoshop Elements and start playing around.

Look forward to seeing the end results thumb.gif
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,890 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    PP = post-processing--it's all the stuff we do on computers (usually) to tweak pics after shooting them. And this most emphatically is an educational forum--we're all here to learn and help others when we can. There are lots of good tutorials available on Dgrin, and we have a forum dedicated to post-processing (Finishing School). deal.gif

To me the whole point of Dgrin is to learn. Hear what others have to say, recognizing where they come from and accepting that, ultimately, it is up to you to decide. There is a lot of experience in this forum and I have learned a lot (even if it doesn't always show... :D).
  • BailiejoBailiejo Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Thanks everyone..... I'll head to the tutorials this weekend and then see what I can come up with for my next shot.