Options

#94 - One Last Try - C&C

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited January 19, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is my last try for this challenge. What do you think of either of these images?

The sunset with the leaning tree really caught my eye.

I couldn't get permission to get underneath the tower, but I did get close.

(crosses fingers X)

Winter Sunset
P1080220-sunset1-XL.jpg

Tower 9

P1080247tower9-XL.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Jenn, I really like tower 9... I like all the clean, sharp angles against the clouds in the background. It's interesting, keeps my attention.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Jenn, I really like tower 9... I like all the clean, sharp angles against the clouds in the background. It's interesting, keeps my attention.

Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    I agree with Kate. Nice shot thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    The tower! Great angle. I think this looks better than it would have form directly under it. You have a great perspective this way.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    The tower! Great angle. I think this looks better than it would have form directly under it. You have a great perspective this way.

Wonderful! I wasn't sure.. I just knew I kind of likes it. Looking up to take the photo almost made me lose my balance even! Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    The sunset photo doesn't really show angles or shapes... However the tower photo is much better at this angle, I like it.

It may be your last try, but that doesn't mean your not going to be seeing Angles or Shapes everywhere you look now. :D
  • Options
    NelsonKNelsonK Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Tower 9 gets my vote as well. Rings true to the subject matter. Nice shot.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited January 16, 2012
    15524779-Ti.gif that the new shot of the tower is very good! Way to keep at it, Jenn!
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    The sunset photo doesn't really show angles or shapes... However the tower photo is much better at this angle, I like it.
    It may be your last try, but that doesn't mean your not going to be seeing Angles or Shapes everywhere you look now. :D

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. :D The sunset had a subdued angle and the tree was angled which kind of caught my eye. I like subtleties like that sometimes. I was hoping the Tower was a much better shot, but I've looked at so many shots I couldn't decide any more! Laughing.gif

NelsonK wrote: »
    Tower 9 gets my vote as well. Rings true to the subject matter. Nice shot.
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif that the new shot of the tower is very good! Way to keep at it,Jenn!
    Thanks Nelson and Sapphire! I almost gave up, but on a whim took one last try. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Tower 9 looks quite nice :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Glad you hung in there with the tower and captured it from a different angle and a more interesting sky. Tower 9 gets my vote. GP
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    I like this take on the tower, too. Have you looked at it rotated 90 degrees to the right?
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    GretaPics wrote: »
    Glad you hung in there with the tower and captured it from a different angle and a more interesting sky. Tower 9 gets my vote. GP

Thanks! :)
    billseye wrote: »
    I like this take on the tower, too. Have you looked at it rotated 90 degrees to the right?

I just took a look a that angle and continued around 90 degrees til it ended up in it's original position... hmmm I'm not sure which position is more eye catching and interesting. The position it's in now emphasizes a particular set of angles, while turning it 90 degrees kind of loses that emphasis and I see less dramatic angles. hmmmm
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    ok.. Bill suggested I try a 90 degree change, which didn't really cross my mind, but now I can't decide which perspective is stronger... I could use some more opinions as to what different people see in the different perspectives:

Tower 9 (facing west)
    i-ThtSKH6-XL.jpg

Tower 9 (facing north)
    i-6zwhJ8z-XL.jpg

Tower 9 (facing east)
    i-ZVhKnxW-XL.jpg

Tower 9 (facing south)
    i-db3tMgZ-XL.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    I still like the west facing tower best :)
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    West is best!

Edit 4 is still my favorite, but I think I'm in the minority there. But Tower 9 is a great work too!
  • Options
    MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    I like the tower as well.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    CHANDLERJA wrote: »
    I still like the west facing tower best :)
    Memol wrote: »
    I like the tower as well.
    Demian wrote: »
    West is best!
    Edit 4 is still my favorite, but I think I'm in the minority there. But Tower 9 is a great work too!
    Thanks Chandlerja, Memol, and Demian! :D

Demian .. I still like Edit 4 too... but seems everyone is leaning towards favoring the West facing tower 9 .... maybe it's the best of the whole lot? I sure have taken a truck load of pictures just to get that one! Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    NelsonKNelsonK Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    If you still feel it needs something (I'm not saying it does), add a bit of mystery by cropping out the top of the tower. It's a bit disorienting if you let the top of the south facing tower scroll just off screen. Looks like it could go on forever.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    NelsonK wrote: »
    If you still feel it needs something (I'm not saying it does), add a bit of mystery by cropping out the top of the tower. It's a bit disorienting if you let the top of the south facing tower scroll just off screen. Looks like it could go on forever.

You're right about it being disorienting! I looked at it like that and had to shake my head because I was "disoriented!" Laughing.gif I'm not sure that's a good thing that I want to happen when people look at my image, though... Then again.. maybe people will like that feeling? Not sure at all... Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    i Jenn,

I went back and forth between your first entry and the tower and to be honest, I think I like best your first, because it has more definition of the shapes and angles, it has more color, and actually it's something more... I don't know how to describe it - concrete - let's say...

The tower has a lot of angles I agree, and the sky is nice and interesting, but it.... floats... it doesn't have a support... it's something in the space that I don't know how to look at, and I feel a little irritated about this... headscratch.gif

Maybe I'm not abstract enough... and that's just me, but I thought I'd share this rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    i Jenn,

I went back and forth between your first entry and the tower and to be honest, I think I like best your first, because it has more definition of the shapes and angles, it has more color, and actually it's something more... I don't know how to describe it - concrete - let's say...

The tower has a lot of angles I agree, and the sky is nice and interesting, but it.... floats... it doesn't have a support... it's something in the space that I don't know how to look at, and I feel a little irritated about this... headscratch.gif

Maybe I'm not abstract enough... and that's just me, but I thought I'd share this rolleyes1.gif

Well.. I liked my first image when I put it up, but then I finally got a better image of the Tower. In the thread that had the first image in it I didn't get any kind of feedback that really encouraged me that it was a great fit for the challenge, but I've gotten more feedback about the Tower 9 image than anything else. I like both images for different reasons and they are both submtted to the challenges pages so I can always change which one to enter before the challenge is closed.

Do others feel the same way? Which one do you like better? I like all 3 of these.

Awning:
    i-pphLhk2-L.jpg

or

Tower 9:
    i-ThtSKH6-L.jpg

or even this one that Demian likes:

Another World (fixed edge)

i-25BfnG4-XL.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    I like the last one best, cropped a little to the left where there is a vertical space that seems not to be part of the background.

I would say - if you like it go for it. It's different and much more artistic then the others thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    I like the last one best, cropped a little to the left where there is a vertical space that seems not to be part of the background.

I would say - if you like it go for it. It's different and much more artistic then the others thumb.gif

I fixed the edge and exchanged the url below. Better?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2012
    Oh yes, sure - it's different, it's artsy and it says angles... to me the last one is the best of what you had for this challenge thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    I'm with everyone else, I really dig "Tower 9" Looks great! Good job sticking with it! Only thing I might try is straightening it, it may help it, or it may hurt it, I couldn't tell without trying it... :)

Either way, Great Job! you've got a strong contender!

Ben
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Bendr wrote: »
    I'm with everyone else, I really dig "Tower 9" Looks great! Good job sticking with it! Only thing I might try is straightening it, it may help it, or it may hurt it, I couldn't tell without trying it... :)

Either way, Great Job! you've got a strong contender!

Ben

Thanks for the kind words, Bendr! :) So far the majority like the Tower 9 image most.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)