Anyone here used Technicolor Cinestyle?

Karel BataKarel Bata Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited January 23, 2012 in Video
"The Technicolor CineStyle™ is a Picture Style (profile) for Canon EOS DSLR cameras that optimizes the dynamic range in the image by leveraging the capabilities of the Canon imaging chipset. "

CineStyle

Anyone here used it and able to comment?

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Karel Bata wrote: »
    "The Technicolor CineStyle™ is a Picture Style (profile) for Canon EOS DSLR cameras that optimizes the dynamic range in the image by leveraging the capabilities of the Canon imaging chipset. "

CineStyle

Anyone here used it and able to comment?

Yes, David is right - I have used it. And it works really well. It does allow you to capture more shadow detail. The difference is quite amazing actually. The only downside - you need to correct every single shot in post. Now, I don't know what editing application you use - but in case it is Final Cut Pro (7 or X), there is great plugin that you can simply drop onto every Technicolor clip in the FCP timeline and you're magically back to normal contrast. You then go ahead and do the rest of your color adjustment with a different filter. That plugin is not free, but if you do use Cinestyle, I think it's well worth the money: http://pomfort.com/plugins/dslrlog2video.html

I've been using another commercial Picturestyle that I am actually very happy with:
    It's called CINEMA Picture style and it's a Swiss product for 19 bucks.
    http://www.cineplus.ch/cinema.html

I really like it. It does capture more detail than any of the styles that ship with Canon cameras and you get a really nice video image straight out of the camera. The only adjustment I make is turning down the sharpness a notch or two. But other than that, your'e getting really nice results without the need for much post-processing.

Hope that helps.

Markus