Noob has a ?

PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
edited January 21, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Sorry guys but I am a total noob, What dose "EXIF" mean??? :scratch
Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
My flickr Account

Comments

• Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    PappyRoot wrote: »
    Sorry guys but I am a total noob, What dose "EXIF" mean??? headscratch.gif

Digital images created by almost every camera on the market will retain information on what the shutter speed/aperture was, what program was used (if any), what ISO (sensitivity) was in place at the time, what camera captured the image, if the flash fired, and suchlike.

It's essential data to some of us.

Further, in the media/news biz, images are invariably passed on the wires with data in the IPTC fields, and that information will include who captured the photo and for what agency/newspaper, information on the subject material, rights and restrictions, and suchlike.

Most reasonably robust imaging programs can read this data. If you're on a budget, grab Irfanview (windoze), and its plugins, and check under the "info" tab. If you have photoshop, check under file -> info for more.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    EXIF = Exchangeable image file format
    As Moving Pictures explained, it is the "info" of your image, date taken, settings, etc... It is attached to your photo when it is taken and stays there unless stripped by certain programs or methods of saving.
    Different programs will show it in different ways, but even in windows viewer, you can right click, go to properties and advanced summary and see the info.
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Thank you so much for explaining it to me. However, you lost me about five miles back. Laughing.gif I guess I have a lot to learn. I want to do the challenges I do not want to get mine thrown out.

Thank you again

Darryl J. Root rolleyes1.gif
    Digital images created by almost every camera on the market will retain information on what the shutter speed/aperture was, what program was used (if any), what ISO (sensitivity) was in place at the time, what camera captured the image, if the flash fired, and suchlike.

Further, in the media/news biz, images are invariably passed on the wires with data in the IPTC fields, and that information will include who captured the photo and for what agency/newspaper, information on the subject material, rights and restrictions, and suchlike.

Most reasonably robust imaging programs can read this data. If you're on a budget, grab Irfanview (windoze), and its plugins, and check under the "info" tab. If you have photoshop, check under file -> info for more.
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    My flickr Account
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Thank you for explaining it to me. I think I am going to like it here. Everybody is so darn friendly.

Darryl J. Root rolleyes1.gif

dnie wrote: »
    EXIF = Exchangeable image file format
    As Moving Pictures explained, it is the "info" of your image, date taken, settings, etc... It is attached to your photo when it is taken and stays there unless stripped by certain programs or methods of saving.
    Different programs will show it in different ways, but even in windows viewer, you can right click, go to properties and advanced summary and see the info.
    My flickr Account