Yes, but does it run Photoshop?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 1, 2005 in Holy Macro
Not a supported hardware or software platform, not even for The Gimp.

41987661-L.jpg

41987186-L.jpg

This is the IBM/Aiken Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator, a computer predecessor from the 30s now on display at the Harvard Science Center. It's huge, 5 tons, 50 feet long. Find out more about it here: http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/markI/markI_intro.html
If not now, when?

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Nice shots!
    It's truly amazing what IT came to in a meager 60-70 years.. We have way more computer power nowadays in our tiny PDA, and sometimes in our cellphones (if you can even tel one from another:-)...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's truly amazing what IT came to in a meager 60-70 years.. We have way more computer power nowadays in our tiny PDA, and sometimes in our cellphones (if you can even tel one from another:-)...

Oh, way more! I think there was more computer power in HP calculators in 1974 than in this thing. By a lot. But they weren't as beautiful, you have to admit.
    If not now, when?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Hi There Rutt
    rutt wrote:
    Not a supported hardware or software platform, not even for The Gimp.

This is the IBM/Aiken Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator, a computer predecessor from the 30s now on display at the Harvard Science Center. It's huge, 5 tons, 50 feet long. Find out more about it here: http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/markI/markI_intro.html
    Gawwwwwwwwd I remember when the computer room in Pathology, back when we were based inside the main hospital looked like that, ya know they just gave it away after we got the new system :D ....... I remember that entire room full from floor to ceiling of nothing but computer, was replaced with a single box ...... amazing .... thanks for sharing...... I'd forgetten about the old system.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    That's way cool!
    That is very interesting. I like the verbage used in the attached link saying it "was used by the navy for repetitive calculations". Read: Artillary trajectory tables.

Thanks for the info.
    Joel
    Youth is wasted on the young!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 31, 2005
    schmoe wrote:
    That is very interesting. I like the verbage used in the attached link saying it "was used by the navy for repetitive calculations". Read: Artillary trajectory tables.

Thanks for the info.
    Joel

What do you think logartihm tables were used for??

Artillery trajectories. Those tables meant life or death for some folks. Very powerful motivation to learn math. Also meant you did not have to become an infantryman too??ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited October 31, 2005
    No doubt about it, this thing was a weapon-grade computer in it's day. Today, the remote control for your TV does at least 1 million times more instructions / second. Maybe 100 million times.
    If not now, when?
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    No doubt about it, this thing was a weapon-grade computer in it's day. Today, the remote control for your TV does at least 1 million times more instructions / second. Maybe 100 million times.

Wow, just imagine what our remote controls would be like if they hadn't removed the weapons capability! naughty.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited October 31, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Wow, just imagine what our remote controls would be like if they hadn't removed the weapons capability! naughty.gif
    Most of my remote controls have had upgrades that now include weapons capability. mwink.gif

You can never be too safe at home. :uhoh
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Most of my remote controls have had upgrades that now include weapons capability. mwink.gif

You can never be too safe at home. :uhoh

I find tha using my weapon as my remote control helps to hone my skills. I go through a lot of TVs though.

Rutt - thanks for the interesting post!
    edited November 1, 2005
    Yesterday's weapon grade computer is today's boat anchor (or museum display in this case.) A Cray XMP would best serve as a place to sit today.

Whether or not it's a weapon highly depneds on what the other guys have. But take that microrocessor inside your watch back to WWII and it would have the power to alter the outcome of battles.
    If not now, when?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 1, 2005
    Interesting shot. I remember something like this at the Museum of Science
    and Industry in Chicago.

The shear size of the machine amazes me. Not to mention that the entire
    thing was built by hand compared to today's machines which are built almost
    entirely by machine.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?