I want a digital SLR/movie camera and don't know where to start.

GunfixxGunfixx Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited January 26, 2012 in Cameras
:scratch
Howdy,
I stumbled upon this site a long time ago, and kept it in the back of my mind.
I recognize a few names from another site I've visited, but really that is un-important.
I am willing to spend up to a grand on a camera (less glass) in order to obtain something that will provide me both excellent stills and excellent movies.
I am very capable of research, but thought it good to hear from users.
I'm not a pro but I do expect high quality for my budget.
Am I on the right track narrowing myself down to Canon only?

Thank you

Comments

• DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Gunfixx wrote: »
    headscratch.gif
    Howdy,
    I stumbled upon this site a long time ago, and kept it in the back of my mind.
    I recognize a few names from another site I've visited, but really that is un-important.
    I am willing to spend up to a grand on a camera (less glass) in order to obtain something that will provide me both excellent stills and excellent movies.
    I am very capable of research, but thought it good to hear from users.
    I'm not a pro but I do expect high quality for my budget.
    Am I on the right track narrowing myself down to Canon only?

Thank you

Take a look at the Nikon D7000 as well ($1199 body only). released late last year, inventory levels are pretty low everywhere but it's very highly rated on both fronts. I'll be getting one after taxes. I already shoot Nikon so I'm sticking with it. I know the Canon 7D ($1599) (its closes competitor by the specs) is also a very nice camera but costs a few hundred more. If you're looking at price alone the Canon 60d ($999) is closest.
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 19, 2012
    What type of photography and what type of video? Please be very complete with your reply because if you just say, "I want to do everything" we will probably bring you quickly back to Earth.

What really interests you? (Remember, be as complete as possible with your answer for the best recommendations.)
    If you intend to pursue photography, are you willing to also pursue lighting and post-processing?
    Do you have a computer and software appropriate to edit and process the type of video you wish to pursue?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    What type of photography and what type of video? Please be very complete with your reply because if you just say, "I want to do everything" we will probably bring you quickly back to Earth.

Thanks for adding this. I just quickly jumped on the "best bang for your buck" for "general" photography/videography. You're points are VERY important for him (or anyone getting into the hobby) to consider.
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • baileyjsbaileyjs Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2012
    I would suggest taking a look at Sony. They don't usually get mentioned but are actually the second largest camera maker behind Canon. About a year ago I purchased the Sony A55 for the exact same reason you've mentioned; I was looking for a camera that could take great pictures and also offered high quality video. I'm not going to get into all the details of the camera, but one of the big selling points for me was the auto focus feature in video. Unlike Canon and Nikon, Sony cameras can auto focus during video because of the use of their semi-translucent mirror.)