Options

Which is better? Before or after?

sjconstsjconst Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited January 23, 2012 in People
So my learning goal for this week is "mastering" lightroom and today I was looking at presets and trying to create my own. I re-edited a previous photo I had taken of myself with the husband to what I thought looked nice. But someone commented that the SOOC version was better. And now I am really confused. Which one (or neither) do you like more? I obviously like bolder and brighter, but to a fault?

SOOC:

i-V4GJVp2-M.jpg

First edit:

i-r2pP2tx-M.jpg

Today's edit:

i-ZW9XRRL-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    On my (uncalibrated, laptop) monitor, the skin tones in the final edit look off to me, Stephanie - too yellow, and a little blown out on the (photo) right side of your face. Otherwise, I prefer that crop, and the bolder colors are fine, just take another look at the skin tones.
  • Options
    VitaminVVitaminV Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    I think I like look and feel of the first edit better. Just clone out the crow and see if you can bring out the color of the water without affecting the skin tones and green jacket color (they're off on the second edit). Maybe fill in the divot too?
  • Options
    clearcreekclearcreek Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Here is my take. I like the composition of the #3 but not the skin tones on my uncalibrated monitor. Skin tones are much better on #2.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    I like the tighter crop but I'm not in love with the tilt or colors. My take, for what it's worth is leave the colors like number one and level out the horizon but crop tight like number three.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Skin tones are driving me nuts today, it might be my computer monitor because when I looked at the same photo on my ipad it looked more yellow. Thank you guys!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Processing from #2. Crop from #3.

/thread
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    I prefer the SOOC as well with a tighter crop and a few adjustments via levels
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    Processing from #2. Crop from #3.

/thread

^ X 2.
    Yafly.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    My monitor is calibrated, and the skin tones are way yellow in #3 (and it's over exposed), but like most other poster I like the crop of #3 the best (I could live without the tilt though).
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    I promise to never, ever, mess with my photos too much. Too much of a good thing can be so very bad :( No more yellow people for me, I promise to stop over editing photos :)
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    sjconst wrote: »
    I promise to never, ever, mess with my photos too much. Too much of a good thing can be so very bad :( No more yellow people for me, I promise to stop over editing photos :)

I think it's safe to say we've all been through this and I believe it's part of evolving as a photographer and experimenting with the tools we have. It's part of the learning curve.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    I all for the last one or the one from today. I love being able to see you and your husbands personality through your smiles. I love how bright and cheerful this image represents. It is perfect in my humble opinion. I will admit to you tho that I am a total noob so my 2 cents worth may not be worth it. Laughing.gif

Love and Prayers to you and your family

Darryl rolleyes1.gif
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    PappyRoot wrote: »
    I all for the last one or the one from today. I love being able to see you and your husbands personality through your smiles. I love how bright and cheerful this image represents. It is perfect in my humble opinion. I will admit to you tho that I am a total noob so my 2 cents worth may not be worth it. Laughing.gif

Love and Prayers to you and your family

Darryl rolleyes1.gif

Thank you! To yours as well!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Never be afraid to experiment, that is where growth lies.

...my thinking on this, is that you took a trip to the ocean, include the ocean. You can take closeups anywhere.

There is nothing wrong with a yellow tint, or a blue tint, or whatever, it is your photo make it how you like it.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    I would say the second one, maybe you can saturate the blue a bit more or place a filter on the sky.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    First shot with a levels adjustment...for me.

me too
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700