Life Size Prints

MPWMPW Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited January 20, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Has anyone used a national print lab to print large poster to life size portraits prints. I just had a client request 36x60. I am concerned about how the image from a 5d mkII might turn out. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I am currently using EZ Prints, however the largest I can see is a framed 24x60. My client would like an almost life size print on card stock.

I would just like to know what to look out for when imaging and printing for greater than poster size.
Thanks!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    My current workflow (actually my workflow for several years now) is too do all my processing except for final sharpening, re do the size in photoshop....Image -> image resize -> (making sure the only box picked is constrain proportions) change the DPI to 300 upto 450 (depending on camera MP) trying to get image to around 8x10 or 11x14...just close.... then take into Genuine Fractals (now called Perfect Resize) and uprez to desired size .... exact workflow I have sued to take 6mp images to 30x40 and 40x60 ... prints had no noise thus allowing to be viewed as closely as anyone wanted to...I hate having to step back to view an image just because it has lots of noise or grain in it....
    The trial of OnOne's Perfect Resize should allow for full functionality, at least it did last year when i downloaded it for a friend and showed them what it could do... as long as you do not save the image it will not count toward the number of images saved...the trial use to allow for 10 - 20 saved images....no watermarks either like some software... they have always been real good with their trials ....

As to what lab to use to get card stock prints....I have no clue....I use a local pro lab that you can upload to and they will mail it back, like Bay or Ez prints, but it will be photo paper that needs to be mounted...

Good Luck.

EDIT: Was just informed that Perfect Resize nopw watermarks the trial images...that sux...but it is still the Premier Uprezing software...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    MPW wrote: »
    Has anyone used a national print lab to print large poster to life size portraits prints. I just had a client request 36x60. I am concerned about how the image from a 5d mkII might turn out. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I am currently using EZ Prints, however the largest I can see is a framed 24x60. My client would like an almost life size print on card stock.

I would just like to know what to look out for when imaging and printing for greater than poster size.
    Thanks!

You can use BayPhoto direct, and they'll print amazing large prints. I have many photos on my walls that are 6, 7, 8 feet on the long side.
  • MPWMPW Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    My current workflow (actually my workflow for several years now) is too do all my processing except for final sharpening, re do the size in photoshop....Image -> image resize -> (making sure the only box picked is constrain proportions) change the DPI to 300 upto 450 (depending on camera MP) trying to get image to around 8x10 or 11x14...just close.... then take into Genuine Fractals (now called Perfect Resize) and uprez to desired size .... exact workflow I have sued to take 6mp images to 30x40 and 40x60 ... prints had no noise thus allowing to be viewed as closely as anyone wanted to...I hate having to step back to view an image just because it has lots of noise or grain in it....
    The trial of OnOne's Perfect Resize should allow for full functionality, at least it did last year when i downloaded it for a friend and showed them what it could do... as long as you do not save the image it will not count toward the number of images saved...the trial use to allow for 10 - 20 saved images....no watermarks either like some software... they have always been real good with their trials ....

As to what lab to use to get card stock prints....I have no clue....I use a local pro lab that you can upload to and they will mail it back, like Bay or Ez prints, but it will be photo paper that needs to be mounted...

Good Luck.

EDIT: Was just informed that Perfect Resize nopw watermarks the trial images...that sux...but it is still the Premier Uprezing software...

Thank you so Much Art Scott!
    edited January 19, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    You can use BayPhoto direct, and they'll print amazing large prints. I have many photos on my walls that are 6, 7, 8 feet on the long side.
    Hey Andy
    I am not quite sure what you mean. Do I(can I) change to Bay Photo direct within SM or do I purchase and upload my files outside of SM? Appreciate the quick response Andy!
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    This is so cool. I just dropped in to search for an answer to the same question.
    Anybody can do it.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    MPW wrote: »
    Hey Andy
    I am not quite sure what you mean. Do I(can I) change to Bay Photo direct within SM or do I purchase and upload my files outside of SM? Appreciate the quick response Andy!

You would use Bay Roes to order such prints. http://www.bayphoto.com
    edited January 20, 2012
    Got it!
    Andy wrote: »
    You would use Bay Roes to order such prints. http://www.bayphoto.com

Thanks Andy!