Dilemma New Body or New Glass

DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited January 24, 2012 in Cameras
So I've got just over $1000 to spend, My dilemma is this. I've eyeballing the Nikon D7000 (I currently have a D80) but I also wand a bigger lens (I've got a Nikkor 70-300 that was bundled with the D80) and would like to go to either the nikkor 80-400 or Sigma 120-400. Being that I am selling my photos I was thinking that the higher resolution and color reproduction of the new body would be a better choice then a bigger lens for wildlife photography. What would you do? I welcome all input
Brian -
Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G

Comments

• bkleinbklein Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 23, 2012
    my D7k vs my gf's D80
    DigiScapes wrote: »
    So I've got just over $1000 to spend, My dilemma is this. I've eyeballing the Nikon D7000 (I currently have a D80) but I also wand a bigger lens (I've got a Nikkor 70-300 that was bundled with the D80) and would like to go to either the nikkor 80-400 or Sigma 120-400. Being that I am selling my photos I was thinking that the higher resolution and color reproduction of the new body would be a better choice then a bigger lens for wildlife photography. What would you do? I welcome all input

I can't give you much advice about the lens, but I have personal experience with both cameras.

My girlfriend and I use the D80 & D7000. I can't say if the differences are justifiable. Honestly, the D7000 color reproduction is done so well, I almost don't like it and attempt to change my settings all the time. I didn't notice at first until I started comparing with the D80. The D80 seemed slightly more saturated and warmer, so her pictures felt more full (even after attempting the same white balance settings). There were a lot of times that I desired those same results, though I was happy with mine ...it just depends I guess.

High res is good and bad for the D7000. Resolution is noticeably higher compared to the D80. But it shows lens flaws pretty apparent. Any color aberration or ghosting/flare issues would be a little more defined. Besides the flaws, I think the higher resolution looks good. Print sizes up to 8x10 from the D7k were nice.

Since you're shooting wildlife, I think you'd appreciate the higher res shots. In my personal taste and opinion, I can't say much to support the color reproduction change over from the D80 to the D7k. However, I definitely prefer the speed and the menus of the D7000 if that helps.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    D7K to cold for wildlife anyway Laughing.gif
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    I'm also debating on waiting for the D300 replacement since I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the d7000
    Brian -
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    I went from a D40 to the D7000 and couldn't be happier. I know lots say glass first but getting the new body really made my shooting much more enjoyable. I'm now gettting glass and going from there. I've done some wildlife stuff and cropping down the shots I'm really happy with them.
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Generally speaking, whenever this question arises, the answer is "glass."
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
    edited January 23, 2012
    Generally speaking is the issue I have. My D80 is getting very long in the tooth and the color is not all that great. I have to correct almost every image to some point. This is why I'm debating the new body or new glass. I know the glass is a much better investment but I'm not looking at it from an investment point of view so much as a better quality photograph with more accurate, richer colors.
    Brian -
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    From a purely "what could make me regret this purchase" standpoint, here's my thoughts:

* The D7000 is great, but we could see a new semi-pro DX D400 within the next few months, if that interests you at all.

* The 80-400 is great, as are the Sigmas, ...but then again we could see a new 80-400 from Nikon some time in 2012...

So, hopefully you're okay with NOT getting at least one of these upgrades, in which case you can safely decide. Otherwise, it's not necessarily a good year to make a purchase, not yet at least!

(BTW I fully endorse the "the equipment you have in your hands is better than the equipment you're waiting for" philosophy. By all means, by something NOW, and enjoy! But like I said, I was just approaching it PURELY from a "what could make me regret this purchase" perspective...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited January 23, 2012
    Thanks Matt, I have been toying with the idea of waiting for a D300 replacement as well as the 80-400 replacement. That also gives me a chance to save more $$ to possible buy both
    Brian -
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    DigiScapes wrote: »
    Generally speaking is the issue I have. My D80 is getting very long in the tooth and the color is not all that great. I have to correct almost every image to some point. This is why I'm debating the new body or new glass. I know the glass is a much better investment but I'm not looking at it from an investment point of view so much as a better quality photograph with more accurate, richer colors.

The improved AF would probably help you as well.