Options

DSS #94 - I have 3 final choices. Last time I swear :) C&C!

CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
edited January 23, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Man this challenge has got me indecisive! I have decided to scrap the sidewalk because I can not get it to look like I want it to look :cry

I went through the rest of my shots and found 2 more that interest me.
I sure wish we could enter more than one sometimes :D

So what do you think?

Thanks again for any comments!!

#1 Up! (current entry)

UPRS-FINAL-XL.jpg

#2 (not yet named)

Dark-Fountain-Final2b-XL.jpg

#3 Ants View

Ant-Views-XL.jpg
Jeromy
http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
Light is everything in life and photography.

Comments

• Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    I'm stuck on #1. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    I really like the cloud formation in #1, & the way the lines of the building take you right to that opening. Not a big fan of b/w (personal taste here). I also like the angles in #3, but again, I'd prefer it in color. Probably why #2 is my fav - I like the silhouettes & the beautiful blue sky with the blues reflected in the building & water - could even be a toned shot, but I'll bet it's just the way you shot it - I like that. Comp is great on all 3.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2012
    Thanks Jen!

I know what you mean about color Lillian :)
    I took the color out of both shots because it seemed to clutter up the shots more if that makes any sense! I wanted the lines and shapes to speak a little louder for the challenge.

And you are correct about #2. I did little to the shot except add a little black and brightness to make the
    silhouettes true. The color is what it was :)

I'm leaning toward #2 because of the good lines and nice color. But I really like #1! I hate choosing!

Thanks again!
    Jeromy
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    I love #1, your current entry. Big blocks of shape.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    I like #1
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2012
    Thanks everyone! Just for comparison this is a color version of #1 I have been working on :)

UPRS-FINAL-color-XL.jpg
    Jeromy
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    I actually like the Ant's View. I think this color version of #1 works better than the b/w. With the color the patterns in the building on the left are much more apparent.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    NelsonKNelsonK Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    I like #1 in B&W. Both B&W and color look great, but the shapes are more the focal point in B&W. I do see more sky detail in the color version that seems to have been lost in the B&W conversion process. (In the interest of full disclosure, I also chose B&W for my entry, so I could just be rationalizing my own decision.)
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I think this color version of #1 works better than the b/w. With the color the patterns in the building on the left are much more apparent.

I would have to second this. The contours of the building on the bottom left really pop out. Plus the glass building on the upper right reflects the sky which I think add a bit the image without taking away from the lines in the building.

Tough choice ...
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    I'd say def. number 2
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Well, I like both the B&W #1 and the color version, amazing what a different feeling they each elicit. Although I think the other images work and are interesting, I still prefer #1, (in either color) because the play on your angle of view is more pronounced adding an extra layer to your theme interpretation. GP
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,951 moderator
    edited January 21, 2012
    GretaPics wrote: »
    Well, I like both the B&W #1 and the color version.... Although I think the other images work and are interesting, I still prefer #1, (in either color) because the play on your angle of view is more pronounced adding an extra layer to your theme interpretation. GP

15524779-Ti.gif that the angle of the shot contributes to why I like it best. Along with GP, I like both the bw and color versions. If I hadn't seen the color, I would feel that you brought out all you could with the bw. But there are some lovely details in the sky in the color version and the reflection of the sky in the building on the right is more pronounced. Where the color "got in the way" for me, was in the building at the upper right.

I like #2 for shapes and tone and think #3 is amazing in the variety of textures & details. But #2 feels 2 dimensional compared to the others, and #3 strikes as a little too busy for this challenge.

Hope this is helpful input! I'd be happy to enter any of those shots!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2012
    Thank you all for your comments :)

I have decided on the color version of Up!
    Thanks again!!
    Jeromy
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    CHANDLERJA wrote: »
    Thank you all for your comments :)

I have decided on the color version of Up!
    Thanks again!!

Good choice! I love that in color. Loved in B&W too... but the color is great. The sky is beautiful.