think these'd make a triptych?

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited January 21, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
some shots of the girders on an old foot bridge not far from my place. i don't normally do this sort of thing, but every once in a while, i like the variety... :D

IMG_9825sm.jpg

IMG_9827sm.jpg

IMG_9823sm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Hi Rocky,

You know, this whole thing about doing exaggerated PP work on rust images boils down to a purely personal choice stance. The dedicated RUST JUNKIE elects to really get aggressive with his PP work, seeking to expose colors and textures not obvious in a straight shot. Some folks can't bring themselves to drift that far from the perceived reality.

I see tremendous possibilities with your renderings here. The subject selection is great, the composition chosen is very appealing, and you've chosen the abstract approach. But you haven't enticed the rust to expose its hidden qualities. Typically employed techniques include a dramatic boost in saturation, contrast, sharpening....maybe even color channel manipulation and other tricks you select. Your images here have so much potential. Play around with them a little....explore some creative PP. You'll probably be amazed....even shocked....at the story rust can tell if you give it the chance.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Hi Rocky,

You know, this whole thing about doing exaggerated PP work on rust images boils down to a purely personal choice stance. The dedicated RUST JUNKIE elects to really get aggressive with his PP work, seeking to expose colors and textures not obvious in a straight shot. Some folks can't bring themselves to drift that far from the perceived reality.

I see tremendous possibilities with your renderings here. The subject selection is great, the composition chosen is very appealing, and you've chosen the abstract approach. But you haven't enticed the rust to expose its hidden qualities. Typically employed techniques include a dramatic boost in saturation, contrast, sharpening....maybe even color channel manipulation and other tricks you select. Your images here have so much potential. Play around with them a little....explore some creative PP. You'll probably be amazed....even shocked....at the story rust can tell if you give it the chance.

Tom

thanks, Tom... i guess i don't fit the "rust junkie' mindset. i see a lot of photos of rusted metal, and the colors have been so jacked up and - as you said - exaggerated, that they look almost like an abstract painting. i'm more of a realism type, and tend to favor presenting what's actually there rather than a heavily Photoshopped and manipulated image that bears only a passing resemblance to the real thing. but i will definitely play with these a bit, and see what else i might be able to bring out... ;)
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • NealAddyNealAddy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    I'm in the same camp, Rocky. I can understand why heavy PP may appeal to some but I prefer natural shots.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Yeah, you've got to do your own thang, Especially if you plan to hang them in frames!

But I know that for us Rust Junkies, we'd love to see, at least in this thread, a thoroughly pushed set of images.

If you are going through ACR or Lightroom, just jacking the Clarity 100% could do wonders for these images! thumb.gif

Looking forward to whatever reworks you do! :D

Rust Rules

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Maybe says it oh so we'll...

For me these... Albeit very nice, lack the punch I feel is needed to warrant framing... Just a little more love is all ya need;)
    Love is subjective of course...
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com