Options

Nikon or Canon???

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited October 30, 2005 in Cameras
I simply cannot decide which one to get. I have very large hands so i decided not to go with the Digital Rebel XT. and money-wise the 20D is ruled out. And the D50 isn't going to fullfill my needs to the extend i'd like. So i'm left with the age old choice...

Canon or Nikon?

i'm looking at the Canon Digital Rebel (300D)

and the Nikon D70.

i will be photographing birds, and scenery. thats it mainly. i do hope you can help me with my dilemma.

until then...

-daniel-

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    I simply cannot decide which one to get. I have very large hands so i decided not to go with the Digital Rebel XT. and money-wise the 20D is ruled out. And the D50 isn't going to fullfill my needs to the extend i'd like. So i'm left with the age old choice...

Canon or Nikon?

i'm looking at the Canon Digital Rebel (300D)

and the Nikon D70.

i will be photographing birds, and scenery. thats it mainly. i do hope you can help me with my dilemma.

until then...

-daniel-
    Its not a dilemma Daniel. Either camera will do the job for you. I'm a big believer in the "feel" of a camera. Unless I'm comfortable with a camera I won't be happy with it. I would go down to the local camera store and try out each camera and go with the one that feels better to you.

Both take fantastic pictures. You can't go wrong.

BTW I would also consider the offerings from Konice-Minolta, Pentax, and Olympus.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 29, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Both take fantastic pictures. You can't go wrong.

BTW I would also consider the offerings from Konice-Minolta, Pentax, and Olympus.
    Thank you, i have been to my local Wolf Camera store and looked at the Konice-Minolta 5D but i found that my little finger hung off the bottom and had no place to put it. and i don't necessarily mind buying a vertical Grip for it. its just that i'd rather not put it in my budget just yet...also looked at the Pentax ist DL. And i thought that the D70 and Rebel took better pictures. but i haven't seen any Olympus SLR's and i've been searching for over 3 months for a Digital SLR. so i'll have to check into that. thank you for your fast reply mwink.gif

oh yeah. I'm 14, careful with cameras. and i have a passion for it. but i also have a "fixed income" so i don't want anything tooo outrageous.

thank you againthumb.gif

-daniel-
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Hey Daniel,

Harry is right, you can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. Both have fantastic products at every level.

To be honest, I would stick with one of these, I wouldn't go with any of the other brands.

All the companies Harry mentioned have fine products, but none have the complete system that N&C offer. If you are serious about photography (and the fact you visit this site suggests you are) you want to get into a system that will grow with you. Big N and Big C are the ones that will do this.

If the 350XT is too small for you, I'd say get a D70S (I have a D70 that I use as a back up to my D2H and it's a great camera) or save for a 20D. I didn't know Canon still made the 300.

I admit to a Nikon bias, but the D70S with the 18-70 kit lens is a great combination to get started.:):
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    this is Mr__hardcore. i'm going by this name now. just thought i should let you guys know. thumb.gif

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Stick with the big names, and try to get your photography to pay for itself. Get good, then start doing event shooting, school plays, and sports. I started with a 300d and a tamron 28-300.

Now Ive got a gripped 20d, 24-70 f2.8, 10-20 f4-5.6, 100-300 f4, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, a 420ex flash etc......about 70% of which was paid for through photography work.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Looks like you have doing some research. Good. Now my recomendation would be for you to look at the systems. Canon versus Nikon. Both are good high quality manufactures, and both will provide good eqiupment, but once you involved with one or the other, switching at a later date can be very expensive.I have a 300D and unless your plan on getting a used one at a good price I would recomend against it. While it will take good photos, the technology is dated, and even if you need to save and wait a little, you will get more bang for your buck by spending more and getting a later model.

Good luck,

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    wow. i didn't expect such a great response. but then again. thats what you get when you put Nikon and Canon in the same thread-name rolleyes1.gif . anyways. For now i am doing Photo-journalism in High school. and i only need something to fullfill those needs until i get out of high school. and by then i feel i'll have a little more $$ to spend...soo in conclusion. i have come to choose the 300D.

now... the question is where should i buy it from that still has it in stock?! :uhoh

there is a Wolf-camera store not far from me that has 1 left in stock for 699. but i'm afraid with tax it will come out to around.
    750ish.eek7.gif
    is there a reliable place on the internet that has it for anything less? thank you for all your help so-far.

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    wow. i didn't expect such a great response. but then again. thats what you get when you put Nikon and Canon in the same thread-name rolleyes1.gif . anyways. For now i am doing Photo-journalism in High school. and i only need something to fullfill those needs until i get out of high school. and by then i feel i'll have a little more $$ to spend...soo in conclusion. i have come to choose the 300D.

now... the question is where should i buy it from that still has it in stock?! :uhoh

there is a Wolf-camera store not far from me that has 1 left in stock for 699. but i'm afraid with tax it will come out to around.
    750ish.eek7.gif
    is there a reliable place on the internet that has it for anything less? thank you for all your help so-far.

-daniel-
    Buy used and get it for 500 or so. Go to www.fredmiranda.com to the buy and sell forum and look around.ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2005
    DanielB wrote:

750ish.eek7.gif

-daniel-
    HOWEVER....if someone happend to have a 20D lying around i would be very much interested in looking into it. just thought i'd throw that out there. it appeared to have slipped my mind in the last post ^^.

thanks,

daniel
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    I wouldn't reccomend the 300D....I started with it, and still have it along with my 20D. It was a breakthrough camera at the time...but it has frustrating limitations.

If you find the 350xt too small....then I'd reccomend the D70S....or a used 10D or a used 20D. A used 10D would be much preferrable to a 300D, and you'd still be in Canon -- which I prefer.

Nikon is a fine company as well...but Canon has taken a significant lead, IMHO.

Lee
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    I wouldn't reccomend the 300D....I started with it, and still have it along with my 20D. It was a breakthrough camera at the time...but it has frustrating limitations.

Nikon is a fine company as well...
    Lee
    hmm... in that case *along with many PM's i have gotten saying how much better the Nikon D70 would be. it is either that or a 20D body alone, and then waiting until i can work up enough money for any lenses. hmm. but i feel that knowing i have a camera, but no lenses would eat me alive....soo. probly gonna go with the D70. it sounds like a better camera than anything out there that *reasonably affordable* besides the 20D. and i feel that it will at least... get me through high school. and maybe college.

until another day,

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Add me to this list!
    leebase wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend the 300D....I started with it, and still have it along with my 20D. It was a breakthrough camera at the time...but it has frustrating limitations.

If you find the 350xt too small....then I'd recommend the D70S....or a used 10D or a used 20D. A used 10D would be much preferable to a 300D, and you'd still be in Canon -- which I prefer.

Nikon is a fine company as well...but Canon has taken a significant lead, IMHO.

Lee
    15524779-Ti.gif100%
    I just came from the research bin.....did a lotta looking....asking questions....went to my local Circuit City.

Had in my hands...Nikon 70Ds.....Canon Rebel XT and a Canon 20D.
    Nikon was nice but slow on the auto focus compared to the 20D.
    The Rebel XT.....well I can say unless you have small hands it's fit is less than desirable. Construction is VERY toy like.
    I hafta say the camera that had "The Feel" and nicest arrangement of buttons......fastest auto focus....the 20D hands down!!

NOW......my choice being my 1st DSLR and only about $1000 to spend....I went with a used 10D.
    Set a 10D and a 20D side by side.....can't tell the diff. On/off button on back of the 10D is now a tiny dial on the 20D. That's the only external diff.

Some AWSOME condition used 10D's up forsale at FM.
    So for $575-$650 you can land a NICE digital beast to play with and still have some moo la left for a coupla Sigma lens's to get ya started.

Just my 2cents seeing that I was JUST "Been there and done it"thumb.gifne_nau.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif100%
    I just came from the research bin.....did a lotta looking....asking questions....went to my local Circuit City.

Had in my hands...Nikon 70Ds.....Canon Rebel XT and a Canon 20D.
    Nikon was nice but slow on the auto focus compared to the 20D.
    The Rebel XT.....well I can say unless you have small hands it's fit is less than desirable. Construction is VERY toy like.
    I hafta say the camera that had "The Feel" and nicest arrangement of buttons......fastest auto focus....the 20D hands down!!

NOW......my choice being my 1st DSLR and only about $1000 to spend....I went with a used 10D.
    Set a 10D and a 20D side by side.....can't tell the diff. On/off button on back of the 10D is now a tiny dial on the 20D. That's the only external diff.

Some AWSOME condition used 10D's up forsale at FM.
    So for $575-$650 you can land a NICE digital beast to play with and still have some moo la left for a coupla Sigma lens's to get ya started.

Just my 2cents seeing that I was JUST "Been there and done it"thumb.gifne_nau.gif
    the only thing thats keeping me away from the 10D is that they cannot use the new EF-S lenses. but other than that, yes it is a great camera.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    the only thing thats keeping me away from the 10D is that they cannot use the new EF-S lenses. but other than that, yes it is a great camera.
    Not sure on that?
    I THINK I have seen user reviews where they did use em but maybe they can't use all the functions of th"S"?

All a matter of pref....and how much dinero ya got to spend.
    I think I can live with my 10D for awhile....I'm not influenced by the latest and greatest things.

Unless you got one heck of a wad of cash coming in (At 14 I kinda doubt it) I wouldn't let it stop ya. By the time your ready for Yale I'm sure you'll have a decent job to afford better. Besides.....by then even a 20D will be old outdated technology.

I have learned one thing in my 40yrs......DON'T try to keep up technology....it'll run ya broke!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    mdavismdavis Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2005
    EF-S Lenses
    I own a 20D. Both the 10D and 20D use the smaller (1.6 crop factor) sensor and the EF-S lenses are designed specifically to be used with that sensor. The camera will use EF lenses but will increase effective focal length by 1.6X. So, in short, EF lenses can be used on any Canon EOS camera with complete auto-function capability.

However, the EF-S lenses can not be used on full frame sensor cameras like the new 5D, the 1Ds, etc. because the inner lens element is too close to the larger mirror. I have also noted that the EF-S lenses have a white position marker and the EF lenses have a red marker. The marker (white or red) must be matched between the lens and the camera body (on the 20D) in order for the lens to fit the mount. The larger sensor bodies presumably do not have the white marker and I suspect that the EF-S lenses will not physically mount on those bodies to prevent mirror and/or lens damage.