Strange insect

JoshiJoshi Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited January 24, 2012 in Holy Macro
I found this bug on a dead tree today. I have not been able to identify it yet.

5d-6605-XL.jpg

5d-6597-XL.jpg

Josie

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Interesting captures- that is a weird one.
    Brian v.
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    That thing looks poisonous!!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • HiddenNZHiddenNZ Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 22, 2012
    Cool looking wee beastie alright.

My guess would be a Carabid or Staphylinid larvae. Without having it under a microscope and keying it out that's as good as it gets, a guess.

Makes me giggle when people ID insects from photos, the common ones sure, but insects especially beetles and their larva are far to diverse within Families and even Genus to accurately tell from photos.
  • JoshiJoshi Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    HiddenNZ wrote: »
    Cool looking wee beastie alright.

My guess would be a Carabid or Staphylinid larvae. Without having it under a microscope and keying it out that's as good as it gets, a guess.

Makes me giggle when people ID insects from photos, the common ones sure, but insects especially beetles and their larva are far to diverse within Families and even Genus to accurately tell from photos.

Thanks for your educated guess.

His (the bug) overall length is about 1/2 inch and was found in the rainforest of Panama, will this help to narrow down the possibilities?

Josie
  • HiddenNZHiddenNZ Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 23, 2012
    Joshi wrote: »
    Thanks for your educated guess.

His (the bug) overall length is about 1/2 inch and was found in the rainforest of Panama, will this help to narrow down the possibilities?

Josie
    :D Yeah to a several hundred thousand possibilities. The diversity of invertebrates is astounding especially in tropical areas. So no, can't be anymore precise.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited January 24, 2012
  • JoshiJoshi Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    HiddenNZ wrote: »
    :D Yeah to a several hundred thousand possibilities. The diversity of invertebrates is astounding especially in tropical areas. So no, can't be anymore precise.

Well at least I won't be telling people that I discovered a new species anymore :cry mwink.gif

But I have to say it looks way cooler than the larvae pictures I found with Google, so I at least have a pretty picture :D

Josie