Options

Rust Rating Required - 0 - 10

BailiejoBailiejo Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited January 25, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
I gave myself a previous rust rating of .7 out of 10 and I'm hoping to make it to 2 with these photos. I travelled to the ship yards today in -10 degrees C looking for the right specimen to manipulate.... (fingers crossed)
Here goes:
Number 1
Rust-Jan-22-L.jpg
Number 2
Rust2-Jan-22-L.jpg
Number 3
Rust1-Jan-22-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    #1 and #2 have potential. #3 could work if you cropped from the left to eliminate the hole and then flipped the image to a landscape ratio. Overall, I'd give these shots a 4 at best. They're very muted, have no " pop " to them. You need to give them some significant brightening, and then get REAL AGGRESSIVE with saturation, contrast, etc., etc. Do whatever it takes to give these shots some " life " and let them speak to you. Obviously, I'm addressing this group of shots from the perspective of one who believes in taking rust images to the extreme. Perhaps that approach doesn't suit you. It's certainly not for every taste.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,883 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Black Mamba is right, they are good but lack "pop" as he says. I had a go with the one I like the most, I hope you don't mind.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    Thanks guys... but where and how do I get "pop"? Never mind, I'll figure it out. Thanks to both of you for your comments. I don't mind anyone taking these photos and enhancing them and posting to this thread to show me what I should be looking for as an end result. That goes for any future pics as well. I'm glad to be at a level 4.... hey, that's worth celebrating. Thanks Juano for your version. Ya know, I actually liked # 3 the best because it looked like a person..... but I see now, that's now what 'Rusties' are all about. Crop it, crop it, crop it and make it pop!!
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    Pop =
    (For me at least)

1. Increase the black tones for depth
    2. Increase brightness and fill light as needed
    3. Bump overall saturation
    4. Play with individual channel saturation ad hues

On this last step you'll find you can go in very different directions, depending on your individual preference.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    Guys. is this a bit better for pop?.....
    Rust4-L.jpg
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Very much better. This version definitely lets the rust start to tell its hidden stories, as did Juano's. As a stand-alone image, I would elevate this one to a good solid 7. Not bad at all.....considering that 10's are very rare indeed.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    Now you're popping clap.gifclapclap.gif

The rest is keep looking, that ship yard seems like a rust mine! Composition will take you to 10's
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Looks like the Rust Junkie community is growing in leaps and bounds! clap.gif

Excellent progression here! thumb.gif

Personally, I find in Lightroom (or ACR) with raws or dngs, all one needs to do for starters is 100% Clarity, some Saturation and Contrast boost! and then tweak from there! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    POPIN'

A fastread, that Bailiejo... :D
    Rags
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Wow! and Yahoo! Thanks so much for the encouragement guys. Can't wait for my next find - would not have received Level 7 without the guidance from all of you. Of course, the pressure is on to meet and beat the last rating.
  • Options
    theprincereturnstheprincereturns Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    The edited ones look great. Most photos need some help :-) I create a pre-set in lightroom whenever I find a particular combination of settings (contrast, saturation, exposure, noise reduction, sharpening, color chanels, etc. . ) that work and use them liberally on new photos.