Options

Not quite frame filler, (diva inspired)

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited January 24, 2012 in People
well its not as close up but divas post yesterday made me want to shoot some today, even added some texture which i'm addicted to lately :)
heres my sweet little girl

DSC5495-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    iloveyou.gif BEAUTIFUL eyes (big windows?) She's looking pretty darned grown up too!

Btw, I'm also newly into some PS textures and actions - I treated myself to the Florabella Classic actions for my birthday and I LOVE THEM! I don't always use them - I still use LR for 85% of my editing - but when I do... yummy. I have their "petite action set" (which is what I used on yesterday's shot) and love that too. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    thank you! Not a huge window but we were close to it. I love florabellas stuff! Some of the actions are a little over the top for me but the texture action is definitely worth every penny.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    Yeah, I tend to dial the Classic Workflow actions waaayyy back when I use them - sometimes down to as little as 30% or less (and I twiddle with the various layers within them too). But they do things with skin tones I haven't managed in LR and I really REALLY like how tweakable they are. To me, they're less "obvious" a style than the Totally Rad ones (although I do love the Totally Rad LR presets and use quite a few of those a lot).

As far as the textures, theirs are the only ones I've actually liked - they're kinda subtle, while still giving a vintage look (without being TOO obviously vintage).
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Classically beautiful!
    tom wise
  • Options
    RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Those Eyes!!
    Are Amazing!
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Gorgeous!!! Nicely done!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    SOOOO pretty! Love it!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Trying to start a discussion here. Hope I don't make anyone upset. If I do I apologize in advance.

You have a very, and I mean very lovely capture of your child. She truly is beautiful, great eyes and I always fall in love with a lady with long hair. A big congratulation for this capture.

My question is "If this was done by a professional photographer what would you think of it. Would you have purchased it." Being you child , it truly is hard to step back and look. Just thinking of professional standards. I mean this question for all who have made a comment. What do you think and why?
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    This is the lady who set me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S3NFW2c7hA&feature=player_embedded#!
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Charles, I fully get your point. But in this case, I will say the things I like here are: 1) Slightly diffuse overall image, 2) Interesting smile she has 3) Great eyes.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    Thanks Andrew, but would you consider this professional if it came from a professional photographer or is it one heck of a nice capture of ones child by someone learning?
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    Thanks Andrew, but would you consider this professional if it came from a professional photographer

As part of a formal studio set, then no. But I don't think that's what it's setting out to do.

As one image from a "lifestyle" type family shoot, then yes (assuming the other images were tecnically and artistically sound).

I think context plays into this to some extent.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    Diva, I understand I'm just trying to bring the level of photography up a bit. It really is a lifestyle type shoot and very, very endearing. If this was my daughter I'd give it a hundered but as a professional portrait not there yet.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    Thank you all for the comments :)

Charles - Very very interesting. I have not watched the video yet so i'm not sure what was all in there but let me say this:

I-in no way shape or form-claim to be professional. I'm a self stated mom-with-a-camera. I love taking pictures of my kids and I love trying to achieve a point where I feel like i am a decent photographer for my own benefit. I am constantly learning yes, aren't we all? I have a degree in accounting and that is what I do for a living. not photography. And I have not a single ounce of desire to be a "pro". For a few reasons- first, my kids and my family are #1 in my life. I have a full time career that has nothing to do with photography. If I were to go and market myself and own a studio and thousands of dollars in equipment like a real pro does to make a living at this then it would leave me no time for my family. Second reason- I don't think i'm very good, honestly. and third- I just plain don't want to.

Now here's where it gets interesting for me. I don't have a lot of confidence in my work, but of course as any mom-with-camera there are people, family and friends, who love my pictures and go on about why i don't do this for a living, and "my friends mom's brothers wife" wants pictures how much do you charge, etc...I get it though. they are not photographers. their view of a good photo is way different than my semi-trained eye is. I constantly tell people that I don't really do this for work, just a hobby and i actually was turning away tons of people. I finally decided instead of turning people down all the time, I'd set a price that was a little high and if people really really wanted *me* and *my style* (not just the fact that I have camera) then they'd pay. this way i'm not bombarded by people who just want some pictures for next to nothing and it is actually worth my time if I do end up with a session or two. Oddly enough, every person that has ever inquired about a session from me has not booked since I finally set an "offical" rate. And just to be clear, I do not market this or myself AT ALL. and guess how many people have actually booked with me since my rate has been set- ONE. so YAY for me because I don't have to feel guilty about turning people away.

What's messed up though is I realize i'm not a superb photographer but I do know how to work my camera and at least know i'm better than a lot of people out there who buy a camera and start doing tons of $50 minisessions with horribly lit/tilted/out of focus pictures and get four thousand facebook comments about how good they are blah blah blah. I see that all so often, as i'm sure we all do. and all the people I have ever turned away have ended up with those type of people. and they're happy because they have cheap pics and i'm happy because I didn't waste my time. whatever.

So to sort of answer your question- I have literally thousands of pictures of my kids. And I never feel like any of them are good enough for print, so I don't ever print any. I am literally striving to have a decent enough photo to feel that it is wall-worthy. its awful I know (well i have a bunch of 4x6 snapshot type prints) However its odd that you asked this question on this post, because I am actually going to print this picture and hang it. I may be biased since its my little girl. I wish I had her in a different shirt, I wish her pink purse strap wasn't showing, but other than that I'm pretty proud of it.

Do I think it's pro quality? not at all. And guess what - i don't really care since my work is for me. we were walking out to door to go to an indoor playground when I thought she looked adorable and wanted a picture. But i'm not on here to be a pro, or pretend that I am. I'm just here to learn and share with cyber friends. I think what we need to realize here is that there are some of us who just enjoy this as a hobby and need a place to go where its not biased feedback, and there are others that are truly trying to make it in this world as a professional. Nowhere is this place designated to be for working pros. So as far as this girl is concerned, you true professionals can relax, one less amateur trying to pass work off as pro quality.

So while I see your view 100%, and appreciate the point you are trying to make, i'm not sure my post is the best example of what you are trying to prove.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    Lilmoma, what I have seen in this photo is by far better than most. For your experience you hit the moon. The key is to have a very thick skin and keep posting and asking for cc. Try to look for photo guilds or your state association and take the classes they offer. Most print competitions are now digital so you don't have to spend a fortuen on 16x20's. My comments were not aimed at you directly so please don't take it that way. I'm just on a kick to keep digital from sliding to the fauxtographers. You are way ahead of them. I'm 61 and next month is our professional competition and I know some will score well and some will do poorly. That is just how it is.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Lilmoma, what I have seen in this photo is by far better than most. For your experience you hit the moon. The key is to have a very thick skin and keep posting and asking for cc. Try to look for photo guilds or your state association and take the classes they offer. Most print competitions are now digital so you don't have to spend a fortuen on 16x20's. My comments were not aimed at you directly so please don't take it that way. I'm just on a kick to keep digital from sliding to the fauxtographers. You are way ahead of them. I'm 61 and next month is our professional competition and I know some will score well and some will do poorly. That is just how it is.

Thanks sir- I may have gotten a little defensive but I kinda thought that I was your example of the whole fauxtographer post after I read what you wrote on here.

See, the thing is, I'm not at all concerned with being a pro. I don't have time for classes and competitions and all that. I think you provided some good info for people and for me when the day comes that I might have that kind of time I will use that as a reference.

But for now, I don't care about what the highest photography authority of the land thinks of my photo, or if it follows their golden rules. I like it, it impacts me, and for me right now thats all that matters.

I truly get what you are saying. and the people out there trying to be professionals should follow your advice. But not everyone of us in Dgrinworld need to be lumped into two categories - pros and fauxtographers.

For me there's a third- I enjoy photography purely for my benefit and like to jump in here occasionally to share something i'm a little proud of. and if people want to offer opinions or advice, fine..if not thats fine too. I'm not looking for overinflated pats on the back. :D

Anway interesting conversation to say the least!
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    You hit the nail on the head. I knew I would ruffle some feathers but none of that at you. Keep photographing that lovely child but try to add a rule or two. You will enjoy them so mush more later as they grow up way to fast, don't dare blink.