Electric model planes

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited October 31, 2005 in Sports
All the rage it appears here now. At least they are quiet. I had never seen them before. One charge lasts about 15 mins.

I was coming home from birding & thought..this is good training with a lens.

42073800-M.jpg

42073807-M.jpg

42073813-M.jpg

42073816-M.jpg

Says it all i recon

42073794-M.jpg

He was checking this one out prior to take off. It can do 180 KPH (110mph) he told me & i recon he was on the money watching it....no way could i follow it with a lens...i could only just watch it with my eyes it was so fast.

42073796-M.jpg

The only time i could get it properly was on landing

42073790-M.jpg

Comments

• illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Wow, never seen anything like this before, some of them almost look like real planes, awesome photos. Very clear.rolleyes1.gif
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Wow, never seen anything like this before, some of them almost look like real planes, awesome photos. Very clear.rolleyes1.gif
    Wow, Gus, great captures..........these are so cool, I gotta check this out!
  • OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Umm....what is with the swastica??? That's not cool...

Great shots though Gus. I like #3 best...
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Cool shots! thumb.gif I love airplanes.

Having the propellor in the back helps you a bunch because you don't have to worry much about shutter speed. Number four is the best because of a touch of prop blur. Most the shots from the front you can't see the prop so it doesn't matter. The profile shot with the prop frozen, however, doesn't come out as good.

Planes can be hard to shoot because that propellor spins slower than you think it does! So you often get a shutter speed far below the 1/focal length rule of thumb, like 1/160 on a 300mm lens.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    They are so good! Wondered how it came from no-where to appear in the Photo Association thread. You'll be right for the Games/Hobbies Challenge. I'm not sure on that one where the line is between sport and games (or obsessions and hobbies).

Yes I did a double-take too at the Swastika, it's prolly an age thing, and I'm definitely not on top of it reaction-wise. (But love Snoopy and the Red Baron).
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Tks guys...yeah to be honest i really only focused on the swastica way after i posted 'em & if it offends i can go back & clone it out. Yep i think its an age thing...anyone whom is even slightly aware of its meaning wouldnt have it there & these were a group of great younger people. It is a german plane with a lot of history but i think the german cross would suffice.

I asked & its about $1000 to start flying & the planes are almost indestructable...they are made from a high density foam & can take a full speed ground hit without worry. If they do get damaged they just tap them up with some duct tape.
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    The aircraft may be a model of a WWII german aircraft.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    The aircraft may be a model of a WWII german aircraft.
    Yep ME 163. It did have a swasitca on the tail in every photo i have found.
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Great photos Gusthumb.gif We have a huge model aircraft club here. My Dad and my brother were into it a few years ago. They had a boat than ran off 2 stroke petrol too.

Looks like alot of fun, but the last thing I need now is another expensive hobbyrolleyes1.gifPhotography and fishkeeping do a pretty good job of making sure my money is spent.rolleyes1.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    .... if it offends i can go back & clone it out. .....
    Snigger. Love it - naaa, I'll wait for someone with like-mind and a spare $1000 to build a Spitty and blow it to ...... gee did I say that?

Now the Spitfire, there is an aircraft!!

I'll have to see if there are any of these local to us, the noise of flying models has always been an offput, plus their fragility. If these are also built 'strong' it gives them a double advantage as a model hobby.

Rahmonster, you're right about the cost of hobbies, we mess a bit with model railways, which Paul won't let me call trainsets for some obscure elitist reason.
    We could fly a model tigermoth and a huge tank of tropicals for our little shedfull of steam engines.