Nikon FX sensor and DX lenses

FingtamFingtam Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited January 26, 2012 in Cameras
Over the last month or so I've been seriously considering upgrading to a D3.
My biggest reservation right now is that the larger sensor would essentially make my DX lenses obsolete. Of course, I'd probably invest in some new glass to go along with the new camera, but most of the lenses I've seen are incompatible with the D3. I don't know how I feel about spending the money on a new lens and then only be able to use the DX 5 megapixel portion of my sensor with it.

Specifically, I was looking into Tokina's 11-16mm ultrawide until I read that it would only work from the 15-16mm focal lengths.

I'd love to hear any input or advice, or even just a good substitute for the Tokina lens if you know of one.
Thanks

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    There are plenty of lenses for FX - most of them are more expensive than DX lenses, though. The Tokina works great on FX. 16mm is about as wide as you can get on FX with any lens. If you've got the budget, you might want to consider the Nikon 14-24. It's got really good image quality, but it's expensive.

For other lenses, it depends on what type of shooting you do. The 24-70 and 70-200 are a great combo. The 24-120 is a cheaper option.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    yup, I thought I'd keep my lenses with the D3 but even with the FX ones I had, I still eventually upgrade to better glass - because that's what the camera deserves and what I should have done *first*. Upgrade the glass, then upgrade the body :) might be a good idea for you, since the D3 is bound to drop in price on the used market with the D4 coming out in a few months
    //Leah
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 23, 2012
    What are your reasons for wanting to upgrade to the D3?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »

What he said. It's possible that a D3 is just not the right upgrade path. (I mean seriously, for me the choice is either the D700 or the D3s; the D3 is in no-mans-land right now since it still refuses to come down below $3K in price)

Having said that, yes I do own one D700 and I've used the Tokina 11-16 2.8 on it a couple times. It works great!

Yes, some of your DX lenses won't work on FX, and if that is too big of an issue for you then clearly FX is not the right choice, YET. But it may eventually be, who knows.

FX or DX, I'd definitely buy the Tokina 11-16. It's the only lens that can get you to 16mm and f/2.8 for under $1K, and it still accepts filters and has great corner sharpness! Suck on that, 16-35 L and 14-24 AFS-G ED N!!!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • FingtamFingtam Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I'm in the Marine Corps, and I'm currently deployed in Africa. I'm making extra cash on every paycheck for overseas pay and hazard pay, but there's not a whole lot for me to spend money on over here. Thus, when my deployment is over in September I'll go back to North Carolina sitting on a huge sum of cash. I don't have any bills, debt, or a family. I live on base and eat for free, so that money is mine to spend in whatever way I want.

With that said, I'm not the type to throw away my money frivolously on things I don't need. I see a new camera body as a financial investment because when I get out of the Marine Corps I'd like to pursue a career in event/portrait/wedding photography.

My original thought was to upgrade to a D700 because it's more than I need for now. The rationale behind going with the D3 or possibly D4 instead is that it's something that my photography skills won't outgrow. I'd hate to decide on one camera because it's cheaper and then regret that decision a year later, wishing I had gone with the nicer one.
    And since the money is there, I just figure why not.

It makes sense to me, but I'm willing to listen to arguments if anyone wants to talk me out of it.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 24, 2012
    Fingtam wrote: »
    I'm in the Marine Corps, and I'm currently deployed in Africa. I'm making extra cash on every paycheck for overseas pay and hazard pay, but there's not a whole lot for me to spend money on over here. Thus, when my deployment is over in September I'll go back to North Carolina sitting on a huge sum of cash. I don't have any bills, debt, or a family. I live on base and eat for free, so that money is mine to spend in whatever way I want.

With that said, I'm not the type to throw away my money frivolously on things I don't need. I see a new camera body as a financial investment because when I get out of the Marine Corps I'd like to pursue a career in event/portrait/wedding photography.

My original thought was to upgrade to a D700 because it's more than I need for now. The rationale behind going with the D3 or possibly D4 instead is that it's something that my photography skills won't outgrow. I'd hate to decide on one camera because it's cheaper and then regret that decision a year later, wishing I had gone with the nicer one.

It makes sense to me, but I'm willing to listen to arguments if anyone wants to talk me out of it.

First, thanks for your service. clap.gif (Proud father of a US Marine.)

I applaud your wish to invest in a profession by purchasing equipment, but my suggestion is to invest in a D700 body, hold onto your current camera and lenses as a backup, then use the surplus (generated in savings from the D3) to purchase:

Lighting; flashes and flash modifiers.
    Lenses; new lenses to match the FX format camera.
    Software; latest Photoshop, plus some specialized software for noise reduction (NR) and skin tones. (I use Neat Image for NR and Pictocolor iCorrect Portrait to correct and set WB, black point and flesh tones.)

For instance, a few years back I had an outdoor wedding and the site had been storm damaged, meaning that the Sun scrim, which would normally be there to help control the direct sunlight, was damaged and removed. It led to this situation:

382101608_EhDch-O.jpg

I was able to use Photoshop to correct to this:

382101643_TQXh2-O.jpg

... and to finally crop to this image:

382101689_ZQq6t-O.jpg

It's not perfect, but much better and printed fine. (Nowdays I use a deeper black point.) Note that you can't just "lighten" the affected areas, because the shadows have a different color temperature, so you have to do some masking, color correction and blending.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    If it were me in your situation I would skip the d3, it is a bear to keep the sensor clean....I would trade mine for a d3s in a nanosecond.
    Go for the d700, exact same image quality.
    If the money is there go for the d3s.... and or d4 if you want to wait awhile.
    edited January 24, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    If it were me in your situation I would skip the d3, it is a bear to keep the sensor clean....I would trade mine for a d3s in a nanosecond.
    Go for the d700, exact same image quality.
    If the money is there go for the d3s.... and or d4 if you want to wait awhile.

The money IS there. I haven't ruled out the D3s, and I have no problem waiting for the D4 to come out. (I won't be able to buy one until September anyways, so I'm planning this out way far in advance). Part of me thinks it might be wiser to go with the D700 rather than some higher end camera that is way more than I need (and maybe more than I can handle.) On the other hand, I feel like as long as I have the cash on hand there is no point in buying an inferior camera just because it's cheaper. Especially when that camera will be used to generate income. Although I have to confess, I think I'm a little bit emotionally attached to the idea of owning the pro level camera, so my opinion might be a little biased. Having the high end D3 just seems a lot more fun to me. I know that's a bad reason to choose a camera.

Ziggy, I'll have money left over for lighting, lenses, and software regardless of which camera I choose.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    If you have extra cash, maybe consider a D3x? Seems like that would be a good investment for portraits/weddings, because of the sensor. I might go for the D4 in your situation. But whatever camera you get, make sure you have plenty of money for lighting and lenses. That's what will really make or break your photos.

I totally understand the FUN part about choosing a camera! Personally I do think it's important. The more fun I have using my camera, the more I use it, and the more good shots I get.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Fingtam wrote: »

D700 or D3s. The D700 has almost EVERYTHING the D3 has, unless you need dual card slots. The D3s has got, of course, the much better sensor.

Either camera is going to treat you well, regardless of what you shoot. Really the ONLY consideration would be that by the time you return, the D800 will be added to the list of possible choices. Of course whether you want 12 megapixels of 36 just depends on whether you shoot photojournalism or landscapes, or both. Or of course, how big you plan on ever printing...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    For what it's worth in your thinking, there will certainly be a D800 by the time you are ready to purchase. Then you'll have a whole new set of issues to resolve! (the D800 is reputed to be 36MP).
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Fingtam,
    Yes thanks for the service! :mlane
    I don't think you could go wrong with the 700 or 3s. But as you are not going to buy until Sept I would keep your eye on the performance of the D4 or even the 800. It will be interesting to see just what they will do in the hands of everyday photographers. They might be knock outs..or just nice upgrades.
    Gary
  • innoinno Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 25, 2012
    Is it me or do you have this posted on the photoforum as well?
    edited January 26, 2012
    inno wrote: »
    Is it me or do you have this posted on the photoforum as well?

Yes, I posted it in both to get input from as many other photographers as possible.