Options

Cobblestone Cyclist, critique welcome

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited January 26, 2012 in Street and Documentary
What do you think of this street shot?

Just for fun, please play along.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    As a cyclist you have my attention right off the bat....

From there, I like the spiral staircase which leads you down and dumps you out at the cyclist who's exiting the frame almost like a continuation of the staircase. I'm not sure there's much 'story' to it, but for me it's one of those shots a cyclist would appreciate possibly hanging on a wall.

But man that road surface looks to suck riding on, especially if it were wet.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 25, 2012
    That's not a street shot--it's just a guy riding a bicycle. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    To be honest, that cyclist looks photoshopped in there. 1/10.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    To be honest, that cyclist looks photoshopped in there. 1/10.

What is "1/10"?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    What is "1/10"?

I'm implying that WHOEVER ON EARTH took this shot, it's a 1 on a scale of 10, 10 being something like Henri Cartier-Bresson and 1 being something like what I shoot.

It just stinks.mwink.gifrolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Really? A one out of ten? I'm pleased by the composition.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Really? A one out of ten? I'm pleased by the composition.

The rider is blurry, though, so that negates the compositional qualities obviously.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Where did you shoot this? It has a French sort of feel to it. Or at least that's my impression, thus my comments above.

This is what I thought of first when I saw it...
    http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/storage/Smoking02.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1294410725302

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Way too funny...................rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

Sam
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    What Street Photo?
    It seems to me that this lacks most of what we think of a street photo having to have - Ambiguity? Nope - nothing ambiguous; guy on a bike, going down a hill. Humor? Nope - not unless we know the guy's going to go head over heels. Pathos? Nope - nor Eros. Sure, there are a bunch of interesting curves and lines, some of which intersect in interesting ways. I suppose you could call this an art photograph - if this is what you call art. But it's basically just a blurry, dark shot of a guy riding a bike downhill. Who ever this is, he'd do well to spend some time with the work of some of the great street photographers - like Winogrand, or Friedlander, or maybe Helen Levitt. Or that woman who was recently discovered, Vivian Maier. Now there's a street photographer.clap.gifclapclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    You know these have been done before on flickr and other places right?

Inside joke aside, what a brilliant photo. All the curves and lines point to the cyclist. His position is perfect, just between the rails and his head is just touching the curb.

Nothing to say, dang, if only...

Well, I guess I can guess, dang, if only I have taken the image...
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Ok, I guess this cat is not going to stay in the bag for long, and yes I know this has been done before. :D I searched this forum for Bresson and found the latest posts in 2010.

The photo is "Hyeres, France, 1932" by Henri Cartier-Bresson. It sold in 2008 for $265,000.

Before I knew that, I liked the image quite a bit.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Wow. Now knowing the history of the image I can say with certainty that my lack of knowledge of studying the greats has paid off in spades. I honestly had no clue this was from one of the masters but hey - I recognized a good one! (well, maybe not good, but expensive...)

• Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Many of the iconic street / documentary images taken in the 20's to 80's still look great today. They stand up to the test of the time not because the Emperor say so.

That's the type of questions I like to pose to myself - 20 or more years from now, will my images still look good?

This is why to me mega post-processing is a loser game. People's taste may change on a "look" of an image, but compelling content will always be compelling.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Slightly related, when you say "..sold for $265,000", is that the rights to the image, a print, the negative? What actually 'sold'?

• Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    A print, usually from one collector to another collector.

A negative, with the rights to use it, is... priceless :-)
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    A very good decision you made when you snapped the shutter to get that cyclist right where you wanted him allighning with the geometry of the stair case.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Two things - one, God save us from decomposition and "Golden rules; and two, the real lesson here is that creating great images requires an enormous amount of W O R K. You don't just 'grab' a truly great image; you create it. And that requires forethought, planning, and then execution - and often execution, execution, and more execution. HCB did not 'grab' this image in a "decisive moment. Rather, he saw the stairs, saw the curve, saw the lines and angles, and then worked the situation until all the elements came together. Work.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    So this is a put on... Does everybody realize this?

Further, apparently the critique skills are at question...

Historical photography... bulllsh........
    Rags
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Rags, why are "Historical photography...bullsh....." ?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    So this is a put on... Does everybody realize this?

Further, apparently the critique skills are at question...

Historical photography... bulllsh........

I think just about everyone realized this. Not only is the photograph famous, this ploy is equally as infamous in fooling over critical idiots who believe charts regarding the sharpness of your lens are the most important thing you can observe to improve your photography.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,883 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Two things - one, God save us from decomposition and "Golden rules; and two, the real lesson here is that creating great images requires an enormous amount of W O R K. You don't just 'grab' a truly great image; you create it. And that requires forethought, planning, and then execution - and often execution, execution, and more execution. HCB did not 'grab' this image in a "decisive moment. Rather, he saw the stairs, saw the curve, saw the lines and angles, and then worked the situation until all the elements came together. Work.

Oh... BD cut me some slack. You are saying that you don't grab an image, you compose it and that"s where an intuitive sense of some basic rules of composition "what feels right" comes to play.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    I'll freely admit I had no earthly idea the background of the image. And I'll stand by my observation, but sheesh I'm going to be gun shy for a bit now.

:hide

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Is the fun with this one over, to bad

cause I was going to say that this Photographer has a lot of potential, but he needs to learn
    to cull his work better !! rolleyes1.gifblbl.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    Oh... BD cut me some slack. You are saying that you don't grab an image, you compose it and that"s where an intuitive sense of some basic rules of composition "what feels right" comes to play.

I wasn't making a statement about myself, Juano - but about photography in general. And yes, it is definitely what "feels right." I have no illusions that anyone other than my children will ever think about, look at, or otherwise be aware of my photography after I'm gone - oh, unless someone goes through the 30photos in the Boston Public Library collection, which I wouldn't bet on rolleyes1.gif, and God knows I don't consider myself to be in the company of the folks we talk about here. But - whatever I do is a., instinctive, or b., born of looking at the work of those folks we discuss, because I have never taken a photo course, nor have I studied painting or drawing. I see what I see, and try to preserve it in what I believe to be interesting ways. If I knew the rules, and followed them, I suspect my work would be much less interesting than I hope it is.

P. S. This is not intended to be snide, snotty, or in anyway rude, but...I am amazed that anyone who is interested enough in photography to spend time here is not familiar with the cyclist, and with the general body of Cartier-Bresson's work, as well as that of the other greats of the 20th century. Seriously folks, you learn to write, and to improve your writing, by reading. You learn to photograph, and improve your photography, by spending time with the work of great photographers. I now have about 150 photo books in my library. They are my photo school. I realize many people don't want to, or can't, make that kind of investment. But many of those books can be found in any decent size public library. Looking at photographs in a serious way is, quite honestly, far more valuable taking almost any class, and certainly any workshop. The only advantage the class or workshop have over the books is that if they are any good, they provide you with feedback.

End of pompous lecture.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    I have a different view (surprise)

Seems to me photography is a craft you learn by doing and perhaps embellished by some reading.

History is well... over. Believe me I lived some of it.

My critique of the image discussed would be: It has good graphic lines to a moving subject; but the sense of motion fails since there is not enough trail of the subject. He just appears blurred.

Those comments would be based on today's equipment capability.

Learning that it's taken with film (I'm guessing asa 100) I would excuse the blur, because of equipment limitations.

Somebody here posted a shot in an airport that used the same image concept; without the vintage value attributable to the image.

I thought the stairwell was as good or better than the "masters" shot.

A lot "Masters shots" have some hype value simply because they're in books, many are deserving, many are not.

Again, history is over.

I agree with bd on most of his views and he is very wise on photography, but I disagree with his reliance on books.

Maybe you have to take pictures, a lot of them of different things to get the "eye".

That's just what works for me

Excuse me, I gotta go. They're calling for 10' waves today at Steamers in Santa Cruz; I'm gonna shoot some surfin'
    Rags
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    It seems to me that this lacks most of what we think of a street photo having to have - Ambiguity? Nope - nothing ambiguous; guy on a bike, going down a hill. Humor? Nope - not unless we know the guy's going to go head over heels. Pathos? Nope - nor Eros. Sure, there are a bunch of interesting curves and lines, some of which intersect in interesting ways. I suppose you could call this an art photograph - if this is what you call art. But it's basically just a blurry, dark shot of a guy riding a bike downhill. Who ever this is, he'd do well to spend some time with the work of some of the great street photographers - like Winogrand, or Friedlander, or maybe Helen Levitt. Or that woman who was recently discovered, Vivian Maier. Now there's a street photographer.

Right on, BD. Which is exactly why you can't define street photography with words.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    torags wrote: »

I agree with bd on most of his views and he is very wise on photography, but I disagree with his reliance on books.

Maybe you have to take pictures, a lot of them of different things to get the "eye".

I don't understand this disagreement against reading, learning, and observing photography through books. I've read several. I think I'm a better photographer, because I went out and tried those things. Or, those books gave me inspiration in their photographs. I tell everyone to read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I think it gives a huge advantage starting out.

It can be difficult to get straight answers on the internet, with half-truths and biased information. If some of these people who pick up a Rebel for Christmas and start charging for weddings by January would read a book on photography first, they would know that their pictures are typically pretty horrible (compared to a professional, or even someone who just takes it seriously).

I don't think B.D. relies on books. No one does. If you are reliant on books for every aspect of your photography, you are probably not going to make it too far, or you are going to take a very long time to get there. That doesn't mean they're not helpful.

People don't read enough anyway, in my opinion. They can't write anymore, that's for sure, but that's an entirely different conversation, which I won't get into here.

In the end, I'm not trying to change your personal opinion on books. But, objectively, I don't think you should be running around telling people not to read more about photography, because it is healthy to read in the first place, even moreso about photography if you are interested in it.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    Rags, I love your enthusiasm, I really do.

But I disagree with just about everything you said on that post.