Options

Playing With Black And White Conversions

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited January 31, 2012 in People
I haven't done much in the way of black and white conversions with digital images. Thought it might be time I started.

This was done in CS3, green filter plus mageta with a hint of a tone and a bit of sandstone texture added at the end.

Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    I like this a lot Bryce. I'm a big fan of almost B&W and you've done a really subtle job of tinting it enough to make it stand out without being obvious.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Nice conversion. I don't want to work that hard, hope you made that into an action.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    I like this conversion a lot and aside from the texture I find LR much easier and quicker to make conversions and save them for later use....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Nice photo, looks good...maybe missed focus just a bit nose looks to be in sharper focus than the eyes.
    Conversion looks nice.

Experimenting is always fun.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    I think I have put one together that I really like for my style of photography. THIS one I have saved as an action (except for the slight color in the eyes).

I like it, but my tastes are somewhat different than most. Your opinion is most appreciated.

6778050691_80f73906c3_b.jpg
    Little Girl - Rembrandt Lighting by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012

I like it, but my tastes are somewhat different than most. Your opinion is most appreciated.

I think it is absolutely gorgeous!! The shot is beautiful, as I hope you know, and the processing enhances it wonderfully to my taste. I would be very interested in learning how you did it...
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Very very nice !!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    I like the 2nd better than the 1st (the 1st seems kind of flat and the texture doesn't work for me). The 2nd though really stands out. My only critique is her lips look dark vs. the other tones in the picture.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    I like #2 far better: lighting, pose, expression, processing....thumb.gifclap
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    I think it is absolutely gorgeous!! The shot is beautiful, as I hope you know, and the processing enhances it wonderfully to my taste. I would be very interested in learning how you did it...
    Thanks a bunch! The conversion is simple in photoshop. Create a new layer and then select the black and white option under Image/Adjustments. Select the tint option. I used 40 hue and 20 for saturation and upped the red a bit. Then, open your levels adjustment and change the white slider to 240. Once this is completed, select curves and add a linear contrast adjustment. Boom you're done.

On this particular image, because I really loved the girls big brown eyes I added a layer mask and let just a little bit of the brown show through in the bright spots in her iris.

Have fun!
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Very very nice !!

Thanks Mom!:D
    I like the 2nd better than the 1st (the 1st seems kind of flat and the texture doesn't work for me). The 2nd though really stands out. My only critique is her lips look dark vs. the other tones in the picture.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Now that you mention it, I agree!
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I like #2 far better: lighting, pose, expression, processing....thumb.gifclap

Thank you Lord Vader!:D
  • Options
    2mo2mo Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Wow Bryce, Reminiscent of an antique but with all the detail and warmth of today's detail most costumers require. Beautiful lighting and pose.
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography