Picasa question

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 30, 2005 in Finishing School
I have recently installed Picasa (2.0). It looks like a nice tool, but I'm having a hard time to make it update its database for the new pictures.
Assuming I store all the pictures I want it to look for under c:\pictures. I set the folder manager to "always" look for the changes to that folder and all the subfolders. However, when I add new pictures to it Picasa does not update its albums. Somehow I manage to force Picasa to do it a few times, but so far it was "by magic", I have no idea what has been triggering the scanning process.

Anybody with more Picasa experience can shed some light on this?
I'm under XP Pro SP2, all the recent updates.

TIA
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I set the folder manager to "always" look for the changes to that folder and all the subfolders. However, when I add new pictures to it Picasa does not update its albums. Somehow I manage to force Picasa to do it a few times, but so far it was "by magic", I have no idea what has been triggering the scanning process.
    I don't have picasa, but here are some things you might want to check.
    Are all of your pictures on a local drive or do you also use network shares? Maybe network shares are not checked as often as local drives to reduce network traffic?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DeanMcMDeanMcM Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Hey Nikolai, under options do you have "automatically detect media" checked?

And under Actions do you have scan always checked?

Or under Options - file types - all of the formats that you want scanned checked?

Under the View menu pick view small pictures also.

Dean
    Dean - New York
    Canon Rebel Xsi, Fuji FinePix F10
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Dean, Sebastian
    Thanks guys!
    What helped is that I minimized "watch always" section to just latest month (instead of the whole collection), and it picked new stuff right away.
    Of course that means I'd have to change my "watched folders" once a month, but I think I can live with that:-)
    Muchas gracias, amigos!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"