Stove still life for C&C

meanfishmeanfish Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited January 26, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Hey all! Here's a still life I took this summer at a local historical farm house. The staff actively use this stove and kitchen in cooking activities and demonstrations. Thought I'd throw it out for some C&C. Let me know what you think!

Some of the feedback I've had on this one has had to do with moving the chair out of the background. While very valid, this is a historic site and messing about with things is not encouraged. I probably could have gotten away with moving it, but not without making myself a pest. Any thoughts/observations on what you'd do in similar situations?

I thought about a tighter crop to a square, but I think that kills the perspective a bit. :dunno

Thanks,
Josh

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    If you really want it to be a still life I think I would definitely crop the chair out. What were you using for lighting? It seems to be coming from at least two different angles with crossed shadows?

I really like the concept though. And the processing with the fire light in the grate.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • meanfishmeanfish Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Lighting was purely ambient. I should probably classify it as more of a candid. I was there as a tourist, not a requested photographer. So had to work with what I had instead of setting up shop. I did have a flash, but felt it would have washed out the shadow from the embossing on the front.

Maybe I need to work on being more bold, but I really do not like moving or interfering with scenery unless I've been asked explicitly to photograph. If I have been invited, then you betcha, I'll rearrange the living room furniture. :D

Josh
  • meanfishmeanfish Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    If you really want it to be a still life I think I would definitely crop the chair out. What were you using for lighting? It seems to be coming from at least two different angles with crossed shadows?

I really like the concept though. And the processing with the fire light in the grate.

I attached a rough edit with a tighter crop and dropped the bg out a bit.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    It's a nice image - I like the original better - the revised crop seems too tight.
    Like you said, it's a display, and the chair, door, and window are things you might expect to see in a room with a stove - context.
    Eric ~ Smugmug