Options

My first Baseball Game w/Media Pass

morphers1982morphers1982 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited January 27, 2012 in Sports
I got to be on the field to take photos of a St Paul Saints Game in Minnesota. I kept all the photos and didn't have to give any away. Used my Canon L 70-200mm Mark II

Check out my gallery to see them all by clicking on image
St-Paul-Saints-Game-5-5-11-M.jpg
St-Paul-Saints-Game-5-5-11-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Explain picture #102.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    First shot is so-so. I'm guessing you were intrigued by the reflection in the helmet? On the plus side, you tried something different. I just don't think it's interesting enough.

Second shot: way too much distracting background. No need to have the catcher in the frame - he's not involved at all and the players in the dugout add nothing to the image. Here's the reality: trying to time a bat-on-ball shot is a nice exercise - but it rarely produces an interesting shot. Don't get me wrong, we all start off taking shots like that. But you have to admit - they're pretty boring. After all, it's like a free throw in basketball or a serve in volleyball - shooting the batter swinging the bat just doesn't often result in a compelling image. Sometimes it does - so we still shoot it. But plays in the field are just more compelling usually - they're more dynamic and you can usually see better emotion or action. Again, sometimes a batter at the plate can produce a compelling image - just not usually. And, it's different if you're selling photos to kids/parents where you need to get them at the plate. But, if you really want to learn to shoot baseball - practice shooting what goes on in the field. Of course, you'll need a longer lens to do that. 200mm is a bit short for full field baseball.