Options

Headshot Photography- Myths or Realities

paumepaume Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited January 27, 2012 in People
Ok, So I have been living in CHicago for about a year now. I am both and actor and a PHotographer.
I started quite well doing actors headshots during the summer. However in all honesty most of my clients where not necessarily agency represented. My prices were in a place where i could reach both, less experienced actors as well as the professionals.
After some time I raised my prices about $25 to $50 more..

Lately business has slowed down some...

A couple of times I have gotten calls from people who are agency represented, they set up an appointment and afterwards they cancel. They usually say that their agent advised them to get an L.A. Photographer to do their headshot because they should expand to that market....

People seem to be under the impression that a headshot will land them the job...
I know how that can be only partly truthful. You definitely need the best representation of yourself in print for Casting Directors to see you in the best light possible, I know that much

But as an actor I know it's you and the audition that will get you the job....that' just my opinion.
I think you as an actor are also responsible for the shot you get finally.

Now my theory for people canceling on me might be one of two possible reasons:
#1 their agent saw my portfolio and didn't like it ( a harsh reality but understandable and respectable)
#2 since I am a new name they just don't trust me as a photog and just want to go with "a name"..

Now to be as brief as I can the question is:
#1 Is there a real difference between and L.A. vs. Chicago or N.Y headshot?
#2 Do you think that conception that "the headshot will get you the job" might just be a marketing strategy by some photographers?
#3 what in your opinion constitutes a good/right headshot.

feel free to browse through my portfolio.

http://www.paumestudio.com/headshot.html
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    Some awkward crops and inconsistent backgrounds but for the most part your work looks solid.
    Some of them look a bit far away to be considered true head shots.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    I think you have some very strong headshots in your gallery and some not-so-strong ones. In my opinion, a great headshot really focuses on the actor/model's face and particularly his or her eyes with very little to distract, and some of yours are too wide and have too much going on in the background for my taste. Get rid of door frames and tree limbs -- that's a framing technique that just doesn't work in headshot photography.

I think you'd show off your work better if you posted fewer pictures -- only the top dogs so to speak. Your 1st three photos are not among my favorites, but the 4th one is (and I think significantly better than the 3rd one which I guess is the same guy, but I think could use some retouching to brighten his eyes and get rid of some of the red around his eyes). I also really like the one of the boy with the green polo shirt -- it's tight shot with good emphasis on his face and nothing else to distract me.

Good luck.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    I'd agree with Brett about just showing the very bset shots - there are some excellent ones in your portfolio, and it would be good tlose the weaker ones and just show the home-runs. Also, you have a good sense of the current style that I see coming out of NYC (the market I am more familiar with).

I'm in a similar position to you, in a slightly different market - I'm a professional opera singer, but was always a keen hobbyist photographer, and always had an interest in shooting headshots (if only because I had so many photographers take such UNusable photos of me over the years - as you know, a headshot is so much more than "just a portrait"!). When I got slammed in 2008/9 when the companies where I held performance contracts went bankrupt and/or cancelled seasons due to the recession, I finally had time to pursue my photography more. Took some classes, started really working on developing a solid technique. People started asking me to do their headshots, and now it's something I'm developing a little more actively; I have no interest in being a full-time photographer at this point, while I'm still quite busy as a singer (things have, thankfully, started picking up again), but I can certainly see msyelf doing more of this down the line when I don't WANT to sing as much.

In any case, just a little bit of my own background which, like your own, has seen both sides of the camera.

#1 Is there a real difference between and L.A. vs. Chicago or N.Y headshot?

Sometimes. Something I think about a lot. I'd say there's certainly a difference betwen a theatrical and a commercial/film headshot, and I think NY/LA VERY LOOSELY reflects that. They are different markets on each coast. Also, now that headshots are moving away from a tightly-controlled studio environment, there is by definition a different look to what's available to shoot on each coast! NY headshots are more urban (it kind of makes me laugh that the whole grubby alley/firescape/warehouse bare walls look - originally simply a case of people making do with what they had - has become "fashionable"! I love the look, but it's amusing that what began by necessity has become a style trend :). LA headshots always seem to me to be a bit brighter and airier (LA light would contribute, I suspect). Makeup styles are a little different on the two coasts. Small differences - and not ALWAYS the case - but they are there.

Can't speak to the ChiTown market as the only 'tog out there whose work I've seen is Brian McConkey (whose work I love - SO much personality in those shots.)

I will say that in some cases those who are casting see headshots by a name photographer as a kind of "endorsement" of the performer, which may be what you're running into.

#2 Do you think that conception that "the headshot will get you the job" might just be a marketing strategy by some photographers?

I don't think ANY heashot will get you the job. The audition. A request for your showreel. But hiring off a headshot? Unless an agent or CD has a close connection with TPTB I can't imagine how that would work. THAT SAID... I have been hired (as a singer, of course) from soundclips on my website. But, in those cases, it was my agent doing her job with people who trusted her to do their casting. So, I don't discount that it can and has happened, but I think a headshot is far more about getting the invitation to meet those casting rather than actually being cast.

#3 what in your opinion constitutes a good/right headshot.

If you haven't read them, check out Bonnie Gillespie's articles (they're linked in my sticky at the top of this forum) - the shot samples are a touch out of date (2006), but the principles she lays out still hold true IMO.

Speaking for myself (entirely personal preferences)

• EYES. I want eyes that engage me and draw me in.
    • I want to see a real personality that jumps off the page.
    • I want to see the ACTOR more than I see the photographer or MUA. There are well-known photographers out there - wonderful, fabulous photographers - where you know it's their shot the minute you see it. Certain lighting styles, angles, retouching techniques etc. This isn't always a bad thing, but I want to feel like I'm seeing the performer, not the team that produced the photograph.
    • I want to see at least a hint towards possible type, eg if you're regularly cast TPY, then don't send in a sultry headshot (or vice versa). If you're a soprano singing the mad-scene heroines, don't get a headshot that makes you look like Carmen. Etc.
    • Regardless of typing or styling, I want to connect with a performer who looks both interesting and like they'd be great to work with, with just enough styling & glamour for it to look like a performer rather than "just a portrait".
    I hasten to add that I do NOT think I have always nailed this to my own satisfaction in my own work as a photographer. I'm getting there, but I consider myself a *developing* photographer rather than one who is fully formed. I still have a TON to learn to fulfill my own "commandments", although my clients have been satisfied, and I'm getting plenty of requests via word-of-mouth, friend-of-a-friend (which is how I wanted this to grow - as I say above, I'm not ready to do this full-time).

Great questions thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2012
    So far So good...

I like what you guy's have said and I truly appreciate the input. Even better is to have the support of a community.
    @divamum - I think that we both have a similar perspective specially form the fact that we both experience both sides of the camera so to speak.
    - As far as the L.A.-NYC and Chi styles I understand what your point and I can see how the environment and demands can change the look or feel of a shot...
    I say it mostly because I have an habit of continuously evaluating other people's work as an effort to learn and absorb what I can. IMO i don't necessarily see a big big difference in shots from photographers in different markets areas...I'd say the one person that I think stands out is Peter Hurley(not becuase i think he's better or worst, just he has a specific style) and I am sure he does the same thing wether in L.A. , NYC, or Dallas...

As you later state, it's the individual in the photo that makes the difference not the team who made the photo...IMO
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2012
    I
    I think you'd show off your work better if you posted fewer pictures -- only the top dogs so to speak. Your 1st three photos are not among my favorites, but the 4th one is (and I think significantly better than the 3rd one which I guess is the same guy, but I think could use some retouching to brighten his eyes and get rid of some of the red around his eyes). I also really like the one of the boy with the green polo shirt -- it's tight shot with good emphasis on his face and nothing else to distract me.

Agree ! That's how I had it originally and then I though that volume might speak good, but sometimes a cigar it's just a cigar and a lot of times less is more...

Thank you very for your input, it's all super useful.
    I am really happy to be able to count with this community as a resource ! thumb.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    Well volume can work if all the photos are equally strong, then it shows constency...but where there is a falloff within the group...that is when the volume needs to be trimmed....and really how much time are they going to spend looking anyway probably not much.
    These days opinions are formed in a few seconds. Your first 3 or 4 shots better be home runs.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    Well volume can work if all the photos are equally strong, then it shows constency...but where there is a falloff within the group...that is when the volume needs to be trimmed....and really how much time are they going to spend looking anyway probably not much.
    These days opinions are formed in a few seconds. Your first 3 or 4 shots better be home runs.

It's true...how fast we think now a days...
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    I say it mostly because I have an habit of continuously evaluating other people's work as an effort to learn and absorb what I can. IMO i don't necessarily see a big big difference in shots from photographers in different markets areas...I'd say the one person that I think stands out is Peter Hurley(not becuase i think he's better or worst, just he has a specific style) and I am sure he does the same thing whether in L.A. , NYC, or Dallas...

Agree about Peter Hurley - and, of course, he's somebody who's equally represented on both coasts.

But when I think of (for instance) Kevin Major Howard vs Kristin Hoebermann in NY (currently one of the "it" NY photographers among opera singers - very popular and deservedly so. I love her work, even if she is one of the photographers who I find "instantly recognizable") I feel like there's a marked difference in style. Of course, we could say that's a difference between one photographer and another rather than one coast vs another.

I peruse galleries all the time too, constantly trying to see what the top shooters are doing that makes their work stand out. I suspect it's skill not just in posing (anybody can learn to move body parts around) but in posing subjects so they look very natural, and with a sense of implied movement as well as catching just the right angle and moment. I think some of your best shots manage to achieve that very well, fwiw.

ETA It's great to have some more headshot shooters on board at dgrin! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2012
    divamum wrote: »

ETA It's great to have some more headshot shooters on board at dgrin! thumb.gif

Right ! I haven't seen many if any posts about headshots