Firefox Question

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited March 24, 2012 in The Big Picture
I realize this isn't specifically SmugMug related, but I have no idea where to post such a question (and yes, I have perused Mozilla's FAQ page, and Googled this question, all to no avail, or at least that I can figure out):

My Firefox never seems to fully load. The little whirly thing doesn't stop until I click on the stop button. Then I have to click the refresh button, at which time the rest of the page finishes loading.

I have three computers and three OSs: XP, Win7, and Vista, and it happens on all of them. It's been going on for months and happens at least 95% of the time.

Anybody else have the same problem? Anybody know what causes it and/or how to fix it?

Thanks!

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    Sara,
    For what specific pages do you see that happen?

What addons / extensions or toolbars do you use in FIrefox?

Are you sure that your Firefox is updated completely? You can get the latest Firefox 9.0.1 from:
    www.getfirefox.com
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    Sara,
    For what specific pages do you see that happen?

What addons / extensions or toolbars do you use in FIrefox?

Are you sure that your Firefox is updated completely? You can get the latest Firefox 9.0.1 from:
    www.getfirefox.com

Almost every page.
    Menu, Nav, Bookmarks.
    I don't think I have anymore toolbars, not that I can see, anyway. I like it nice and clean and uncluttered up there.
    The one thng common to all three machines is AVG, but I don't even have their toolbar showing.
    FF is updated on all machines.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Has this always happened? headscratch.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited January 29, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    Has this always happened? headscratch.gif
    For as long as I can remember.

I've cleared all my cookies, and it is running more smoothly with fewer hang-ups, but it is still happening. For example, some of the pages I've been browsing here in the tutorial section; some pages are fine, others - the little green whirly thing just keeps spinning until I click stop.
    edited January 29, 2012
    Sounds like some sort of conflict with a piece of software that is on all of three machines. That piece of software has to be the same version number across all three platforms as well. That should help narrow it down. thumb.gif
    edited January 29, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    Sounds like some sort of conflict with a piece of software that is on all of three machines. That piece of software has to be the same version number across all three platforms as well. That should help narrow it down. thumb.gif

The issue is all but gone at this point; just a few lingering sites hang up. Clearing the cookies seems to have helped immensely.

If it was a software issue, I'd have guessed AVG, since it is on all three machines, and all the same version.
    edited January 29, 2012
    I'd also be suspecting something infecting all three instances of FF. I'd clear all the cookies, close it, reboot and reopen it without going to a site and check cookies. If you see cookies there, something has infected the system and is causing havoc. :cry
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited January 30, 2012
    I run FF and the freeware version of AVG on Windows XP and don't have a problem. If you know of a page that will reliably show the problem, try disabling AVG and see if the problem goes away. The next thing to do would be to disable all Firefox extensions and plugins and try the page, then enable them one by one trying each time. That could pinpoint the source.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    I have had FF for many years now with no problems...I had probs like this with IE and it was related to spyware and a virus that avg and avast had not caught (I used to run both side by side ...avast won out, don't remember why now it has been way too long) ... ... ... I now use SUPER ANTI SPYWARE the free edition and I haven't had any hang ups for a very long time...I also was running avg...now running avast (free edition) and have not seen any problems...you might just be loaded with spyware ...

hope you get this fixed, i know how frustrating this can be...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 30, 2012
    One way to maybe test what's going on is to use a portable version of FF and other browsers from portableapps.com. This way, you know it's clean. And if it still doesn't work, you can disable avg and try again, eliminating that as a cause too. And since you're not installing and uninstalling software, it won't cause any more havoc to your system.
  • marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Maybe more RAM would help?
    edited January 31, 2012
    marionet wrote: »
    Maybe more RAM would help?
    That would be like putting more worms on a hook when the fish aren't biting. :D
    edited February 1, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I have had FF for many years now with no problems...I had probs like this with IE and it was related to spyware and a virus that avg and avast had not caught (I used to run both side by side ...avast won out, don't remember why now it has been way too long) ... ... ... I now use SUPER ANTI SPYWARE the free edition and I haven't had any hang ups for a very long time...I also was running avg...now running avast (free edition) and have not seen any problems...you might just be loaded with spyware ...

hope you get this fixed, i know how frustrating this can be...

Thanks, Art.

I'm happy to report that the issue is just about non-existent since dumping my cookies.

I'm pretty satisfied with AVG, and fwiw, when I installed it (I ended up purchasing it last year after running the free version for a while) I was advised to uninstall any other AV programs because, I was told, they all compete with each other.
    edited March 24, 2012
    Update:

The problem very quickly returned, even after clearing cache, history, etc.

I was beginning to suspect, since I had the same problem on all three computers, and was also running AVG 2012 on all three, that there was no coincidence. I searched "AVG, Firefox, loading issues" and indeed found many complaints Re above, and found it's connected to AVG's Link scanner, which I have disabled on all three computers (I recall back a ways when Link scanner was also causing up-loading probs to SM). I have no idea what the ramifications are to having my Surf Shield disabled, but at least FF is running properly.

Maybe others will find this helpful.
    edited March 24, 2012
    Glad you found the culprit!