edited February 5, 2012 in Holy Macro
i-NTR37CX-X2.jpg

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Lovely capture- not quite got it's camouflage right :)
    Brian v.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Thanks Brian!

It was shot "on a wing and a prayer"! In the wild (garden), at twilight. There was a light breeze keeping the flower wobbling. Camera on tripod, no flash. I was using live view for the first time, and for most of the time at x5 mag the flower and the subject were careening all over the LCD in the breeze (no hope of anything at x10). I managed to get good focus in a lull, then in the next lull I took the shot. Shutter at 0.6sec! f11 ISO200 FL 100mm APS-C. Luck was on my side.

This (full size above) is a bit more than a 50% crop. This critter is no more than 12mm across tip to tip of forelegs extended. White and very delicate. What makes me a bit disappointed with the image are halos which can be seen in the full size image above on the upper edges of the two forelegs as they contrast with the petals behind. I know that more than a 50% crop is not ideal in that regard, but I will be more attentive during RAW conversion to the appearance of such halos. Better light would have probably reduced the need for contrast-sharpening in PP. What do you yourself do to avoid halos?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    Better light would have probably reduced the need for contrast-sharpening in PP. What do you yourself do to avoid halos?

Neil

Neil - I don't tend to increase contast in PP and with sharpening I tend to oversharpen in PS and then fade the sharpening until it looks ok which I guess would mean no halos easily visible.
    Brian v.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited January 31, 2012
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Love it!! Great shot thumb.gif
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account