Options

New Style

Brock62Brock62 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited February 1, 2012 in People
Let me know what i can do to Improve this Pic.

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Brock62 wrote: »
    Let me know what i can do to Improve this Pic.

There are several things that can be mentioned for improvement. I will comment on what really jumps out at me and let others chime in with additional suggestions.

Seldom should a subjects shoulders be positioned so that they are square to the camera. This is even more important with females. Try the same show with her shoulders positioned at about a 30 to 35 degree angle.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Option 1: reshoot. With so much flare/light pollution it's almost a tosser ne_nau.gif
    Option 2: Use the ideas from this thread to deal with it
    Option 3: Just use the curves/levels to adjust the black point. However, the resulting image will have a very narrow dynamic range, so it probably won't look too good ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Seldom should a subjects shoulders be positioned so that they are square to the camera. This is even more important with females. Try the same show with her shoulders positioned at about a 30 to 35 degree angle.
    +1
    Also, non-skinny female subjects (like yours) look better if shot from above, especially if you go for the upper body/headshot. Shooting from above would also elimiate the flare, which is a major technical issue here.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Thanks for all of your comments,They are all good and i agree with them. Ill try to do another shoot with her , after all she is my Niece .
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Not being funny or rude but if using a digital camera with a screen on the back did you carefully look at the image? Remember to magnify the image and carefully look at all corners. One great piece of equipment that I think that is invaluable is a Hoodman. It's a rubberized hood that you place over the screen that blocks out all light so you can evaluate the image in daylight. Not cheap, about $80 but it really helps. http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1017 If you see the flare it is a simple matter to hold your hand or a small piece of cardboard out over the lens to block the light and stop the flare.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Hackbone i photoshop this Pic to look like this . The Glare was added in later
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Hackbone i photoshop this Pic to look like this . The Glare was added in later

I think there's a consensus that this was not the best decision. It's overwhelming, and doesn't really seem appropriate for a young girl wearing normal clothing. The style of the processing doesn't reflect the style of the contents.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Brock, if you had a goal in mind then only you can say wether you achieved it. As a portrait it falls short for me due to processing.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    This is why i put it on here , I have other people telling me its good (none are Photographers ) and they was something about it that i didnt like, And you all have gave me some great advise. Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    This is why i put it on here , I have other people telling me its good (none are Photographers ) and they was something about it that i didnt like, And you all have gave me some great advise. Thanks

FWIW, a paying customer's opinion always wins over the one of the photogrpahers-friends;-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    FWIW, a paying customer's opinion always wins over the one of the photogrpahers-friends;-) mwink.gif

+1 to that.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    I suspect the reason that the photographers don't like it is that we've all seen hundreds of shots with real flare, bu this one looks fake. Real flare can be very evocative, but this pink-tinged flare just overwhelms and messes with her skin tone and washes out the photo, and in return it doesn't do much for adding to the picture. Plus, where would the flare be coming from? Behind her is all trees, which makes sun flare very unlikely.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I feel the style of editing does not suit this image and that is why some of us were confused as to what input you wanted. This style is popular with subjects outdoors , long flowing skirts, straw hats, at the beach, in a field of wild flowers. Her clothing and the camera work against that feeling the sun haze suggests.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    VayCay I totally agree , Thats why i wanted some input on this ,Im gonna try to redo this shoot with her and see what ekse i can do thats better. Thanks for the comment