Need opinions on this

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited October 16, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I'd post in the exercise thread, but that doesn't seem to be getting much looking time. I'm trying to pick the image that meets the "After the Party" theme, the best. I'm posting these examples below. I have two iterations of the shot that I like the most, but I'm posting two others which I feel keep with the theme well also. If you think one of the other two shots is more "After the Party"-ish, please tell me.

Thanks for looking. You all are the only peers I really have to look at this stuff and give me honest opinion on it. If there are any glaring problems, please point them out. Thanks!!

AFP1-L.jpg

AFP3-L.jpg

OR

AFP4-L.jpg

AFP5-L.jpg

See the rest here.

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Well the 1st four still show me that Humans haven't learned to cleaned up
    after themselves.
    Amazing to me how Folks can talk about how we need to save the World, but can't
    seem to pick up their own trash.

Sorry know that's not what your looking for here, and it is one my peves.

However the last image, Excellent ylsuper.gif
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    Well the 1st four still show me that Humans haven't learned to cleaned up
    after themselves.
    Amazing to me how Folks can talk about how we need to save the World, but can't
    seem to pick up their own trash.

Sorry know that's not what your looking for here, and it is one my peves.

However the last image, Excellent ylsuper.gif

Thanks, Ben, my wife and I said the same as we were walking around. I say the same when I see dog poop outside the apartment that hasn't been picked up. I say it when I look at Congress.

Lazy.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Quincy I don't have any comment on the theme itself, their are subtle difference s in the first two color images, but the light on top the head of the man wearing the sweater, and the glare from the eyeglass rims of the person on the extreme left stand out to me . I would prefer the B/W over the color. I don't know if this helps ?
    edited January 29, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    Quincy I don't have any comment on the theme itself, their are subtle difference s in the first two color images, but the light on top the head of the man wearing the sweater, and the glare from the eyeglass rims of the person on the extreme left stand out to me . I would prefer the B/W over the color. I don't know if this helps ?

If they're all crappy, I'd like to know! As for the suggestion to go BW, I appreciate it and that does help.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited January 29, 2012
    They're not all crappy images, Quincy, but I don't feel the theme coming through in any of them. The first three maybe say, "after the parade." Of the ones you have presented, I like the last one best, but again, the theme is not conveyed by the image.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    They're not all crappy images, Quincy, but I don't feel the theme coming through in any of them. The first three maybe say, "after the parade." Of the ones you have presented, I like the last one best, but again, the theme is not conveyed by the image.

took the words right out of my mouth "after the parade".

I like the second color version, it's more pleasing to my eyes, however I imagine they won't fly for strictly PJ which I think is what you are after no?

The last one says "hammered or sick" to me, but I see no evidence of afterparty.

#4 I get after parade also.

I like the shots themselves and you would likely get a more positive response if posted without your instructions--however since we know you are after strictly PJ, then I think you missed the boat on after party. I think:) I'm not used to shooting just PJ as though for a paper, so I'm learning with you as well.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    They do fit together in the theme, I like the photos, the interaction between the couple is good maybe they just met, I don't know but, that is the sense it gives me , it must have been a big party with all the buses.

I like the perspective of the two ladies having a time out on the curb.

The lady on the fence is another good one .
    edited January 29, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback, guys and gal. Gasparilla is a massive party/parade in Tampa, FL every year. I guess it depends on the definition of party. I should probably clarify when I'm not going for PJ images, as this is the second time that's come up. I realize I said that I was going to start doing more of that kind of thing, but I haven't posted/had a chance to do a lot of that.

With these, my goal was to work towards a challenge over at DPChallenge. I would ask for feedback there, but that's typically considered kind of a no-no prior to the challenge being completed.

I'm glad I can always get honest feedback here.

Hopefully, there will be some combination of circumstances that allows me to go out and really concentrate on PJ again, since I failed at March for Life.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    I think the problem with the post is the title.

Seems to me you're stuck trying justify it.

I think #1 with the guy & gal talking & cropping the right side would allow the image to stand on it's own

I can't see anything to associate party in any of the images

Do you have any of the wet Tee Shirt contest?, now that would be party time... :D
    Rags
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Looking through your gallery link, "After the party", IMO would be better suited to the one of the cop/EMS folks attending someone. A bit on the 'dark side' if you will of 'party'.

Conversely, I also thought "Take My Picture" is worthy of the title. There's good smiles and the only way that guy got all those beads was to have fun, ie: party.

My 2 cents....

edited January 29, 2012
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Looking through your gallery link, "After the party", IMO would be better suited to the one of the cop/EMS folks attending someone. A bit on the 'dark side' if you will of 'party'.

Conversely, I also thought "Take My Picture" is worthy of the title. There's good smiles and the only way that guy got all those beads was to have fun, ie: party.

My 2 cents....

Thanks for taking the time to look through the gallery. I'll post those two here for everyone to see, and see if there is any more consensus. I still think the girl leaning against the fence is pretty strong, considering she has quite a few beads as well. Anyway:

6783460159_7368aaafc2_z.jpg

6783453509_b405114647_b.jpg
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Now the last one is party time... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    The thing that confused me is that you had recently posted images
    of a pro-life demonstrations. I thought these were more images from
    that group.

It kinda threw me off when you mentioned "after the party". I don't
    think of a pro-life rally as a party.

As a Floridian, I should have known about the Gasparilla Festival, but
    I didn't. There's nothing in the images that says "pirates". Now that
    you've mentioned Gasparilla, I see the beads in the original images.
    I didn't first time around, though.

You might consider using thread titles that give the viewer some clue
    when you jump around like this.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited January 29, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    You might consider using thread titles that give the viewer some clue
    when you jump around like this.

Yeah, I didn't realize people were thinking of where I was at as much. I travel all the time. That's why I have such an gallery portfolio haha.
  • stphotographystphotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    First image... There is a red color triangle in it which draw attention to the people. 2-nd b/w image IMHO is flat and nonimpressive.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    The last one, with the beads and the expression, certainly say 'after the binge."
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    I agree on the last one, with the beads, but it would be better in black and white. To me though, the one that really says it and doesn't look like all the other photos out there that you will see, is number 4 from the first set. Keep that one.