Options

SM Stack Exchange

Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
edited January 30, 2012 in SmugMug Support
Im getting an email for SM Stack Exchange Area 51. Is this spam? Just wondering.

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 29, 2012
    Bryan,

We are looking at using Stack Exchange as another avenue for support. You were invited to participate in the private beta as you had been on the early testing. You do not have to participate if you do not want to. Sorry for the unwanted emails.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Dont be sorry! I would love to participate! I just didnt know if it was spam or not, the more I looked into it, the less I saw about SM and just started to wonder. Didnt want to get to far into it to learn that it wasnt affilitated with SM, thats all. Glad to be a part of it.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    I got the email and would love to participate, but even after creating a login, it doesn't let me into the private beta. headscratch.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    I signed up for the test some time ago, and recently got e-mails about it. I signed up because it was SmugMug, and I figured I'd do pretty much anything they asked me to do. Trouble is, I know absolutely nothing about what "Stack Exchange" is. Nothing I've ever gotten has bothered to explain what it is, what it does, and why I might want to participate in a beta test. I'm willing, but help me out here, Smug Heros!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    I signed up for the test some time ago, and recently got e-mails about it. I signed up because it was SmugMug, and I figured I'd do pretty much anything they asked me to do. Trouble is, I know absolutely nothing about what "Stack Exchange" is. Nothing I've ever gotten has bothered to explain what it is, what it does, and why I might want to participate in a beta test. I'm willing, but help me out here, Smug Heros!

This should help:
    http://stackexchange.com/about
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    I got the email and would love to participate, but even after creating a login, it doesn't let me into the private beta. headscratch.gif
    Samir, I had the same problem. The link in the email wouldn't let me in. I'd login and get nowhere. There's something busted with that invitation process. I don't know what the solution is. I joined in via a different link (sent to me via a personal email from another person) that I don't know if I should post here or not.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Andy wrote: »

Thanks, Andy.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    I just got into the site after checking original email stream for what I used for
    my email address. Even answered one of the questions. :D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    I just got into the site after checking original email stream for what I used for
    my email address. Even answered one of the questions. :D
    That was probably my issue. The invitation email was to a different email address than I used so maybe that's why it didn't let me in.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    jfriend wrote: »
    That was probably my issue. The invitation email was to a different email address than I used so maybe that's why it didn't let me in.

Ditto here, and I forgot that I used FB as my login too d'oh!
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Ditto here, and I forgot that I used FB as my login too d'oh!
    Yeah, I use my Google login on SE (nice not to have yet another username/password), but don't use my Google email address anywhere since it's not an email account I monitor. It looks like the SE invitations don't work with that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Grrr...I hate login messes like this. How did you guys figure out what the original email address was?
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    Grrr...I hate login messes like this. How did you guys figure out what the original email address was?
    If you have an email client that you can look at all the headers in the raw email source for the invitation email, the actual email address that the email was sent to will be there in one of those headers. In my mail system, it was the X-Delivered-to: header, but it could be different in your mail system.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 30, 2012
    Ah, me too! I haven't yet been able to log in. I'll try again after looking at the email header. Thanks.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Using Thunderbird I just typed Stack Exchange in the search box at the top and the emails showed up
    under the correct email address of the multiple accounts.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    If you have an email client that you can look at all the headers in the raw email source for the invitation email, the actual email address that the email was sent to will be there in one of those headers. In my mail system, it was the X-Delivered-to: header, but it could be different in your mail system.
    Ah good thinking! I'll have to try it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    Using Thunderbird I just typed Stack Exchange in the search box at the top and the emails showed up
    under the correct email address of the multiple accounts.
    I have over 64,000 emails in my inbox at last count, so I don't think searching would be a good idea. rolleyes1.gif